I'm returning to the axe fx :D

gelati

so i originally had a axe fx 2 mkII, and at the time i had no idea what i had gotten myself into! i was gigging at the time and also couldn't afford the mfc! so i made the VERY FOOLISH decision and sold her! (yes i regret it every day!) that was almost 2 years ago! and since then i do not play live! and my big carvin legacy stack is FAR too loud to play at almost anytime without annoying everyone! so I've made the decision to return to the dark side! ill be getting the xl! and just wondering what people think of the axe fx still? do you love it more or less? is quantum actually better? are there any new amp models i should go for, anything i should avoid?

would love to hear just general thoughts tips and opinions before i get my baby again! haha

It's great....every step is one in the right direct in regards to firmware. One thing I've learned is always keep your Axe Fx II! Want something else, then get that too. Can't afford both? Wait until you can. Just my opinion. Welcome back! Get a MFC101 sometime when can...amazing product that works perfectly with Axe Fx II.

so i originally had a axe fx 2 mkII, and at the time i had no idea what i had gotten myself into!...and sold her! :D

I did the same with the Ultra a couple of years ago - but I bought the XL many months ago... then spent some quality time with the videos from Cooper Carter and Chris from AxeFxTutorials.com and couldn't be happier... they taught me that I didn't have to learn every parameter under the hood to get a great sound.

It's great....every step is one in the right direct in regards to firmware. One thing I've learned is always keep your Axe Fx II! Want something else, then get that too. Can't afford both? Wait until you can. Just my opinion. Welcome back! Get a MFC101 sometime when can...amazing product that works perfectly with Axe Fx II.
totally agree! i have learnt my lesson the hard way haha

"Anything to avoid"?...
Well... Apart from some technical issues, there is nothing in the axe that you should avoid. Everything there is top notch.
Well... I could recommend leaving all the advanced settings as a last resort, and not something you go for instantly when making your amp tones...

There are no tonal differences, but the XL simply has a bit more hardware features and more X/Y states in blocks...
If you don't need many features, I'd recommend going for an AX8. Just make sure it has all the features you need... For example, it won't let you use two amp blocks... If you don't need that - fine, if you do - go for an axe fx.

You finally came to you senses!
Once I got the Axe & MFC-101, I don't use my tube amps any more and have sold off most of my old gear.
That has freed up some $$ for more guitars! :D

As a mark 2 owner, in the US, I could probably upgrade much cheaper by flipping my MkII: I have not even bothered computing the price difference. Yes more cab slots would be nice; but for me is not worth the hassle or cost.

The marks do not have the XL's autorecovery built-in for a failed firmware update. Chris mentioned this and the need for a backup chip in the (extremely rare) event of a FW update failure recently in either this thread or another (ADD will not allow me to read all posts, LOL)... The chip is ~$20-$30 in the Fractal store, IIRC. I bought one because I don't want to be without the precious if a FW update goes bad, but I thankfully have not had to use it and my understanding is they are rarely needed.

and just wondering what people think of the axe fx still? do you love it more or less? is quantum actually better? are there any new amp models i should go for, anything i should avoid?

It's a phenomenal piece of equipment that continues to redefine the digital guitar revolution... Love it more each firmware update. Quantum is more accurate than any previous release and helps you re-familiarize yourself with existing or new amp models that you might enjoy more. You should go for it and stop living in regret ;) . Hope your endeavor suits your well!!

and just wondering what people think of the axe fx still? do you love it more or less? is quantum actually better? are there any new amp models i should go for, anything i should avoid?

Just like fine wine :) there used to be many amps models I didn't like, but now it's so easy to get a great sound with most any of them. If it has been two years I think you will have a nice surprise.

@gelati I saw you username and had to lol. It reminds me of this little bit of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World:

Anyway welcome back to the world of supreme sublime Axe-ness.

Go big. Get an XL+ and enjoy.

I've had mine for about 2 weeks, with an MFC101. I'm blown away. Had my first band practice with it today.... They were blown away. This unit is the future... And the future is here! Go forth, purchase, do not hesitate, learn, and you will take your place among the pioneers! Here thar be greatness. You will be BLOWN AWAY!!!! (sorry for shouting.... But it's kind of a big deal).

I've had mine for about 2 weeks, with an MFC101. I'm blown away. Had my first band practice with it today.... They were blown away. This unit is the future... And the future is here! Go forth, purchase, do not hesitate, learn, and you will take your place among the pioneers! Here thar be greatness. You will be BLOWN AWAY!!!! (sorry for shouting.... But it's kind of a big deal).
SHOUT LOUDER!!! i say BE PROUD!!!BE AXE FX!!! just starting my own slogan for fractal now haha lets see if it catches on ;)

Back
Top Bottom