I'm putting a drive block in front of every amp

zenaxe

Fractal Fanatic
Okay, finally got the Axe2 back, upgraded to 12, and am dialing in again. I still haven't really adjusted from the Ultra, I think... I had it really dialed in.

Basically, everything feels "mushy" on the Axe 2, the low strings in particular seem thin, too. Like I simply cannot get enough input level into the amp block without a gain stage... I find myself running a drive block into every amp that I am not running clean to get the input. I'm sure I just need to adjust some settings. I have left only input set, input level is dimed (in spite of my PRS having fairly high output humbuckers)....

I'm dialing in my 80s metal and early 90s thrash tones as those are my bread and butter sounds. My Ultra's goto preset was a Brit Brown patch. I know it is "okay" to run a drive block in front of stuff to tighten it up, but it feels "off" even when I do that. It's hard to describe... It does not feel like a more accurate modeling thing, it feels like a something is wrong with my setup thing.

So, if anyone has any tips for parameter tweaks or global settings, let me know.

Saturate !!! I often hit the "Sat" saturate switch . this seems to help alot to tighten up that feel . With "Sat" on I dont have to add a drive block to most amps.

Input Trim is your friend... cut switch to remove some flub, lower bass, up depth... definition, low cut in amp block. This is usually how I get to where I want without drive blocks.

Thanks for the tips guys made a lot of progress using these... I'm surprised at the effect of the cut switch. It really has helped quite a bit. Input trim and saturate are also helping the feel going straight into the amp.

Am also surfing preset exchange and patches forum for examples to dig a little deeper. I like using a drive block with a real amp but sometimes it is nice to have only the amp's gain.

At FW10 i started using less od to do this. FW11 and 12 even less. As you say, some amps and settings are great with od others is great without.

Try switching ir`s, as that also change the feel. My favorite mix now is Marshall TV mix combined with the Pete Thorn ir.

I also use different OH ir`s, but TV/PT mix is great imo. I use high MV settings on most amps.

Try switching ir`s, as that also change the feel. My favorite mix now is Marshall TV mix combined with the Pete Thorn ir.

I also use different OH ir`s, but TV/PT mix is great imo. I use high MV settings on most amps.

I tend to mix in Pete Thorn's IR with other cab IR's (usually the new OH's) when going for a rock tone as well.. killer IR when blended.

Likely depends heavily upon your guitar. For example, my Les Pauls have a lot of low-end resonance and can get mushy if I don't use the Cut feature. By contrast, my Music Man JP has a lot more clarity (though a bit less "character"). The amp model obviously influences this, too: for example the Mesa Mark amps definitely need a bunch of lows backed out (as they simulate the real preamp EQ controls, which hits the drive stage).

Back
Top Bottom