I'm probably an idiot...

endgroove

Inspired
The tuner on my AxeFX III is off.

Like WAY off. Admittedly I haven't really used it, depending as I do largely on my Sonic Research ST-200 for tuning duty.

Well tonight I finally discovered the Axe's tuner (first of all... wow - really cool) . But like way off for me. With my guitar tuned to the ST-200's default chromatic tuner (referencing the usual A 440) the Axe is telling me my A note (fifth string) is about 45-ish cents north of a Bb. Huh?

I'm assuming I'm just doing something stupid with the Axe III - which is now on the current firmware, but what? Okay, stupid here does not include my being tone deaf. The ST-200 is in fact correct.

Calibration & offsets don't have enough range to change the displayed note by over a semitone.

Normally this would mean a 44.1k SPDIF/AES signal is being used as clock source. It has to be 48k for the Axe to work as intended.

The tuners on both devices can be programmed to a difference reference pitch and with offsets for each string. Check the settings of both devices.

Calibration & offsets don't have enough range to change the displayed note by over a semitone.

Normally this would mean a 44.1k SPDIF/AES signal is being used as clock source. It has to be 48k for the Axe to work as intended.

Bingo.

I seem to recall the Axe more or less being 48k only. I was indeed clocking at 44.1. I’d be willing to be that difference would account for what the tuner was telling me...

Don't feel bad. I discovered this morning that I had accidentally yanked the power cord for my studio's sub who knows how long ago and that I've been tweaking my patches without any bass...

Nah. I’m okay with asking questions that I know have forehead smacking answers... I’m just thankful for this community. Seems it’s less prone than most to wasting bandwidth telling people to “google it dumbass”. ;)

In any case I feel your pain!

Back
Top Bottom