I'm on the fence. Convince me...

Tyler those clips sound amazing! The ones on your website are good too. I can definitely hear the improvement in the cabinet modeling in the more recent firmware versions. The early ones sound more stuffy and flat. The more recent ones have that lively sparkle to the top end. They sound really really good. It's really great to hear the Axe doing something other than detuned death metal (nothing against it - just not my cup of tea).

Tyler does it very very well!!!

the alternative that some folk in here like [I'm one of them] is to use a transparent poweramp to drive traditional cabs live
the Axe provides the pre amp / power amp voicing, the real power amp has no 'voice' [it's SS not valve] simply makes it loud

the cab block IR's are only for recording and / or home practice [via studio monitors]

in my case:
live - I run the Axe in stereo through a Matrix GT1000FX [500W per channel] poweramp and a pair of Marshall 4x12 cabs..
sounds and feels fabulous
studio -I run the Axe straight into the DAW [as part of an aggregate audio interface so I record / reamp via the Axe's USB, monitor via the other audio interface]

I'd probably use a FC1010 to control the Axe as well. The MFC101 is really nice, but $750 is steep. I figure I'll start with the basics and upgrade if needed later. There seems to be a lot of FC1010 users that are perfectly happy with them.

my first impressions going from pod HD500 to the axe 2 was..... "shit what have done blowing £2100 on this"

a short time down the line when i had it how i like it, when i plugged my pod back in with a view to using it in the loop, i couldnt live with any of the sounds or fx i used in it,
on the plus side, i now use the pod as a midi foot controller, set up with the bottom row doing scenes and the top row doing individual on off switching on the fly
it also means i can have the pod onboard expression pedal an additional plugged into the pod and a third expression pedal direct in the rear of the axe fx
which is all the control i need for now till i can get round to the MFC.

Meh, amp in the room..? Schmamp in the schmoom!

Even with a full range speaker (active or passive with a neutral amp) you've still got a cone moving air. It might be moving it differently to a double stack, but that's not to say it's 'worse' in any way.

Whilst one still can hook it all up in the usual way via an amp's FX loop etc, the biggest thing here in my opinion is a willingness to recognise that it's just 'different' to the traditional approach. If you stop to consider your AxeFX tones as being a representation of a beautifully mic'd up amp in cab, but one that you'd hear from inside a studio control room or through the FOH PA system, your perception changes and it then makes total sense. The fact that you can still get incredible feel and interaction with the simulated amps is testament to just how ridiculously good the box is
yessmiley.gif

So yes, it's all there - and waaaayyy more - but you may need to adopt a slightly different mindset to really 'get it'
thumbsup.gif

Since you have a nice Mesa amp and cabs, I would suggest first just get the AXE. Commit to learning how to get YOUR tones out of it. Do you have any sort of reference monitors for recording? IMO you need to experiment with both running through your amp/cab, AND, you need to give FRFR a shot. Both work very well with the AXE. In FRFR, you have complete control of all sorts of amps/cabs etc. at the expense of missing some of that "tube feel", on the other hand with your amp/cab you have all the tube feel and punch, but you sacrifice some of the AXE amp modeling and cab modeling. My 2+ year journey with the AXE has led me down both paths, only to come back to running my AXE through a tube amp/cabs. It just works better for me. And, you can still get TONS of variety of tones from the AXE as a preamp, and also the killer effects.

Bottom line is this. Regardless of how you utilize the AXE, the unit itself is worth every penny and more. Not to mention, the direct recording (which is 99% of what you're hearing in all those clips) is just stellar. You can't beat it!

And you get to hang out with us knuckleheads!!

If your Mark IV sounds anything close to mine you'd be crazy to sell it. IMO the only solution is to own both.

Here are a bunch of clips I've made. i've been on a personal mission since the beginning to show the Axe Fx as much more then a heavy metal amp. For even MORE clips going way back to FW 6.0, go to my axefx website in my signature. Yes, the FRFR vs real amp in room takes getting used to. Its a transition. but finding out how you sound to the audience will convert you in seconds.

You never cease to amaze with your talent and your tone. You nail a great blues sound with the AxeFX II. You really show off what this unit is capable of. A majority of tone clips I hear out there are either metal or heavily effected clean. Its good for people to realize that the AxeFX II is more than just a metal machine.

I am on my 3rd go around with the Axe FX and as the saying goes, the 3rd time's a charm. I own two of them now. One for the house and one in the rack. I quit being concerned about TMA's and trying to copy a certain musician's tone and started dialing in my own until I have found a template that I like and a few tones that are me. So, in the Axe, I found my own tone. I play more, practice more. No cabs to dick around with, no tubes to constantly roll, just sit and play. Packing for a gig is so much easier and the quality of sound to the FOH is unmatched. Fortunately, I don't have to sell my favorite tube amps and make that decision of digital or analog. But, to me, it is becoming a no brainer. That said, the Axe FX II is about the only piece of gear you are guaranteed not to lose money on. So, its a safe purchase. If you don't like it or don't find the time required to put into it (yes, there is a learning curve) is for you, then sell it and get your money back.

Steve

Here are a bunch of clips I've made. i've been on a personal mission since the beginning to show the Axe Fx as much more then a heavy metal amp. For even MORE clips going way back to FW 6.0, go to my axefx website in my signature. Yes, the FRFR vs real amp in room takes getting used to. Its a transition. but finding out how you sound to the audience will convert you in seconds.

Tyler has been a personal hero for me. This board is definitely big on the 'I need a crushing heavy tone' crowd, but many of us are in the lower gain set. He has made some excellent presets, and has done much with earlier firmware that was 'less easy' to dial in.

I apologize, because 'convince me' is not something we should do here. We're not sales. We help, we advise, and we provide information. But spending $2k+ is something that you rely on guys on the internet to decide for you, then I see someone who has bought 10 amps over the last few years because of what someone else thinks. Listen to the recordings, check YouTube, and use the 15 day return policy. Lots of information out there that is easy to find.

That said, the Axe FX II is about the only piece of gear you are guaranteed not to lose money on. So, its a safe purchase. If you don't like it or don't find the time required to put into it (yes, there is a learning curve) is for you, then sell it and get your money back

Very true. I've got money saved for the Axe itself, so I have decided to take the plunge and I don't have to sell anything yet. I'm going to get on the waiting list. Think I'll try it slaved through my Mark IV and my cabs first and then pick up one CLR later for FRFR. Now I have to decide Axe II Mark II or Axe II XL... Any thoughts on which one? For that $300 difference, I can get a FC1010 and a nice rack. Is it worth the extra scratch?

best modeler out there! Love it. I use it for my effects with my Bogner head and then have it ready as a back-up should by head fail. Couple for cable swaps and a turning on the Cab and power amp sims and we are rocking again in the FOH. Definitely go with the MFC or more user friendly midi controller. You won't regret it.

Please buy it. Make us happy.
Lol, read my mind... ;)

Tip of the hat to Tyler also, always impressive. The Little Wing video on his site always makes me think Jimi is smiling approvingly...

I was also a Mesa devotee for years, on the Road King II when I got Fractalized. I second (or third or whatever) all those who said try it, what have you got to lose but about 300 pounds of load in and out every night? You can always send it back! Just set a day or two aside to really play it, and maybe one more to try it with your band. Nothing does it for everyone, it isn't even a tubes vs. modeling thing because there isn't a tube amp out there that satisfies everyone. I do think you will be surprised at what this box will do if you learn to drive it. I played Mesas for 2 decades+ before swapping, I can't say more than that.

Best tool for a guitarist out there. Use it with cabs and power amps for trad tones, FRFR for bedroom level amazingness, direct to FOH for perfect tone live and direct to recording for perfect recording tone.

Oh yeah, and unparalleled tone/effects/routing. Yeah. Enjoy.

You never cease to amaze with your talent and your tone. You nail a great blues sound with the AxeFX II. You really show off what this unit is capable of.

You said it there Ben. Tyler has outstanding skills with the fretboard and the axe.

Originally I got the axe for the effects, intending to run it in the loop of my roadster. The effects are very good, but after playing with the stock preset amps for about 5 minutes, I was sold. For me it's actually easier to get good sounds than thru a real amp, and that was FW 2 or so. Now we're light years from FW2.

Oh yeah, I sold off my pedals, rack effects and switchers and it about covered the axe. The amp + cab added about $1k to the purchase, but it was worth it to me. I still have the amps, I think 4 or 5, but I don't play them anymore.

Get the AXE II and two active CLR wedge. There ought to be plenty of used out there now (with the CLR neo and XL being the latest thing).

Last edited:
Tyler those clips sound amazing! The ones on your website are good too. I can definitely hear the improvement in the cabinet modeling in the more recent firmware versions. The early ones sound more stuffy and flat. The more recent ones have that lively sparkle to the top end. They sound really really good. It's really great to hear the Axe doing something other than detuned death metal (nothing against it - just not my cup of tea).

I can only hope that by the more I post, the more incentive others plays might have in posting THEIR different sounds. The axe is like our brains. Only about 10% if being showcased...its got a LOT going on WAY beyond the heavy.

Very true. I've got money saved for the Axe itself, so I have decided to take the plunge and I don't have to sell anything yet. I'm going to get on the waiting list. Think I'll try it slaved through my Mark IV and my cabs first and then pick up one CLR later for FRFR. Now I have to decide Axe II Mark II or Axe II XL... Any thoughts on which one? For that $300 difference, I can get a FC1010 and a nice rack. Is it worth the extra scratch?

If you still want to hear the full Axe2/Matrix/CLR setup or through your Mesa rig I can probably help out. What part of Austin are you in? I've been thinking about booking a room at Space to set up some live tones with that rig and this might be the nudge to get me to do it.

I figure I'll start with the basics and upgrade if needed later. There seems to be a lot of FC1010 users that are perfectly happy with them.
FIRST find someone here who can give you a taste and go play a AXE-FX/ CLR core system yourself! I'm in NYC. After 2 recording sessions with headphones and two live gigs, I sold my Mesa /Twin/Marshall combos without hesitation and my back, ears, wallet, and recordings are better for it! Not to mention my neighbors are talking to me again. As stages and apts are small here. The FCB 1010 is very versatile(3 different chips to choose from - stock/UNO -both have editors OR the Eureka Chip -very easy programming). Smaller footprint than the MFC and cheap to replace. If you start with the AX MK2 and FCB 1010, you will save enough to cover most of the cost of a CLR. Boy is your life about to change!:mrgreen

Last edited:

Great playing and you've got the Axe sounding as good as I've heard it for these types of tones.
I still hear the "modeler" in the high end and double stops, but I'm one of the few that cares, apparently, who will say so on the forum ;)
I'm not giving up on it, though. It is a great tool.

Great playing and you've got the Axe sounding as good as I've heard it for these types of tones.
I still hear the "modeler" in the high end and double stops, but I'm one of the few that cares, apparently, who will say so on the forum ;)
I'm not giving up on it, though. It is a great tool.

I don't question you hear something, but because you are aware that it is a modeler before listening gives your mind a physiological bias to listen for it. Its been proven in listening tests of people that if they are told information about two audio samples, they will hear a difference...even when they are the exact same sample.

Granted, there MIGHT be some minute nuances that the AxeFx doesn't quite capture yet, but those tiny elements are incredibly inconsequential in the context of playing music with other people.

I think IR Technology is currently the bottleneck for the Axe Fx, and I believe we will continue to see it improve. But currently those improvements would be welcomed, but not required to make me feel comfortable using the AxeFx to make music.

I think a big tendency for most of us forum members to limit the discussion about what isn't quite right about the AxeFx is due to the fact that the benefits of the axefx and the quality of the tone is so superior to anything else, that it can come off as petty complaining.

The reality is that even if the AxeFx doesn't sound perfectly like a real tube amp, the axefx still produces better tone and better response then MOST tube amps. There are so many bad sounding tube amps and bad players playing those tube amps, that focusing on if the axe is exactly like an amp isn't necessarily a needed exercise.

Back
Top Bottom