I'm not whining

wembley

Inspired
at all, but I'm having much the same problems btw v 9 and 10 as I had btw the Ultra and Axe 2. After updating, I was amazed by some of the changes, e.g. the cleans (some of the Fenders and the AC30 with the new IRs). There's really some exciting stuff going on here, obviously. But I'm having a hard time finding the sheer _tone_ I've been used to from the Axe; I can't explain it otherwise than that some great things are added, but some are gone missing. There's some amazing stuff going on e.g. in the Plexi 100, but (it's hard to verbalize sound) there's also something chilly and perhaps un-harmonic to the distortion here, in the midst of all the amp-likeness and punch. I can hear this in many of my favorite sounds. Its subtle, but more than enough to bug me, especially in live situations, where everything's loud and in your face (Soundcloud & Youtube removes all subtleties so it's hard to produce convincing clips if you haven't heard in full what the problem is.)

Now, this is not about not coping with more amp-like sounds. It reminds me of the feeling (actually initial disappointment) I had when I received the Axe2 around v3 or something; a lot had improved, but I missed some of the sound qualities from the Ultra, which after all was in a mature state at v11 with some cool things going for it. I had to change my favorite amps, and this solved some of the problems, but the further FW updates really set everything straight, I guess utilizing the potential in the Axe 2. I'm thinking, with all the new stuff under the hood, kind of like a shift of paradigms in how sounds are created, that I'm in the same spot, and that what I miss is a matter of adjustments to what really is extremely exciting? Naturally, I'll be experimenting with other amps and IRs than those I'm used to. Downgrading to v9.2 is an option, although I like the cleans better in v10 and would miss those amps.

I really have to underscore that I'm impressed by what's happening here, and I'm the first to recognize and enjoy the pace of development, the devotion to the product and customer service that everybody at Fractal shows. I'm just hoping that there's this small piece of the puzzle somewhere (further updates/adjustments?) that kind of makes everything make sense ;) I keep every option open, and one of them is that I have to calibrate my ears...

Last edited:
My general advice is: try to make v10 work for you, as from now on there shouldn't be too dramatic changes in the amp sims in future releases.
IOW, digging in deep with v10 should really pay off.

Since there are so many amps now that sound great right from the start I guess searching a new amp that hits your taste and turn only a few knobs might be as fast as keeping your old amps and dial in your know sounds. Got to try it myself, I'm not done with all my goto amps and I planing to include the plexi100, great model.
It seems that our learning curves make a step down for now since some old tricks don't work anymore the same way they did and some tricks just got obsolete when it sounds good with default settings. Better results with less tweaking, it seems.

Back
Top Bottom