I'm Just Going to Leave This Here

Any news regarding the weight of the AX8 ? That's the most important factor which I'm waiting for to be revealed... I'm hoping for 3-4 kG of weight, not more. It is portable AXE-FX, it must be portable in all aspects! Otherwise, weight will be main flaw and put me from buying((((

"+1 for a choice of amps on an a la carte menu. If anyone is using all 200 amps they are a rare buyer imo. "Updates" are free, want new offers great, don't want them don't buy them. I don't want "packs" because they could include something I don't want to pay for. I like having a choice. Cool as this new product is I'm still the rack and MFC-101. With every new released item I find it the best value."

Ah yes but I did go through about 100 amps until I found the perfect one for my needs.. so having them there was a wonderful blessing. I don't think I could have guessed the Nuclear Tone would be the perfect amp & bought it right away.. unless there was demo versions you could download that expire & delete themselves after a week or something.

Any idea when we can expect some news here? Very interested in this! Really wish this had hit prior to the FX8, but that's just me.

My personal opinion on the "a la carte" approach is based on the fact that IF, and only if, I bought an AX8, it would be to separate my bassist out of my Axe-FX, so we'd need a choice of "starter amps" to make sure we get the bass amps he likes, otherwise it wouldn't do is any good out of the box.

I'm all for it being cheaper, but if it doesn't do what I need out of the box then it's price point is moot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a fifth option: Attach a scene modifier to INPUT GAIN and MASTER VOLUME. Dial in your clean sound, and use that for one scene of the modifier. Dial in your your dirty sound, and use that value for another scene. Instant clean-to-dirty on one amp. You can do that already with the Axe-Fx.

What exactly is a scene "modifier"?
Do you mean choose an amp that sounds good clean but can also sound good overdriven.
Then one scene you set amp clean (scene 1)
Scene 2 overdriven
Then in effect you have made your amp a channel switcher by using scene 1 and 2?

The AxeFX II takes this even further because it allows you to use DIFFERENT AMPS for X and Y state of the "amp" which can be toggled via scene changes.

What exactly is a scene "modifier"?
Do you mean choose an amp that sounds good clean but can also sound good overdriven.
Then one scene you set amp clean (scene 1)
Scene 2 overdriven
Then in effect you have made your amp a channel switcher by using scene 1 and 2?

The AxeFX II takes this even further because it allows you to use DIFFERENT AMPS for X and Y state of the "amp" which can be toggled via scene changes.

scene controllers(modifiers) are also in the axe fx. There 2 of them. they allow you to set volume or gain or anything you can attach a modifier to variable from 1 scene to the next. look in the wiki!

"+1 for a choice of amps on an a la carte menu. If anyone is using all 200 amps they are a rare buyer imo. "Updates" are free, want new offers great, don't want them don't buy them. I don't want "packs" because they could include something I don't want to pay for. I like having a choice. Cool as this new product is I'm still the rack and MFC-101. With every new released item I find it the best value."

Ah yes but I did go through about 100 amps until I found the perfect one for my needs.. so having them there was a wonderful blessing. I don't think I could have guessed the Nuclear Tone would be the perfect amp & bought it right away.. unless there was demo versions you could download that expire & delete themselves after a week or something.

That is so much "more" work for Fractal, so I don't get how you guys think this will make it cheaper??

I am happy in my belief that FAS will not even touch that "just" to make it cheaper......To control and monitor that crap would be humongous for them. They are not Roland or Microsoft......

Sorry, but it's a bad idea--...just what we need is copy right protection-internet activation..........I don't think so.

That is so much "more" work for Fractal, so I don't get how you guys think this will make it cheaper??

+1. 'Amp packs' for R&D that has already been completed would simply be an attempt to wring out more profit from the consumers, not including them @ release of a unit like the AX8 would provide ZERO benefit to the consumer aside from limiting their choices (which you could dubiously argue as a feature for some people with severe analysis paralysis but could still easily be better achieved in a much better for the end user hide/unhide system menu option); they do not lower the cost for the seller to develop, market, or manufacture the device, in fact they increase it as Stratman notes... so leaving them out does nothing to reduce the manufacturer's cost and therefore there are no 'savings' to pass on. The hardware is already built in; the software is already developed. It's not like ordering a new computer and ordering a smaller HDD to save a few dollars.

People who suggest gimping a device after the R&D has already been done with the notion that this would somehow make the device cheaper (as they have done for many years on various guitar forums in hopes of somehow getting Fractal level gear on the cheap) are misguided and very clearly do not understand how these devices are designed or built.

Seriously, just man up, save your quarters. Buy the good stuff understanding that it costs more because its better not because there are X amps or so many bytes in the firmware.

Last edited:
All I know is if this thing works as well as the FX8 while adding amp models, it is going to be kick ass!

Yeah. I can't wait to see full specs and price. Wondering if there is anything the FX8 does that the AX8 can't do, or if AX8 is exactly like FX8 + amp modeling.

Oh MAN! Just stopped by and saw this thread. I've been hoping for something like the AX8 since first getting an Axe-Fx in 2008. It will make life so much easier for gigging without having to lug around both a rack and pedalboard, finding a place to set the rack, dealing with the additional cables, etc. In many instances, even a few less things to set up saves a lot of time and worry.

Thanks for the tease!

new guy here.right now i have a kemper (no fractal products) but am seriously looking at this axe 8. is there any signs that this is going to be released soon? it really looks like what i would want in a gigging rig.

People who suggest gimping a device after the R&D has already been done with the notion that this would somehow make the device cheaper (as they have done for many years on various guitar forums in hopes of somehow getting Fractal level gear on the cheap) are misguided and very clearly do not understand how these devices are designed or built.

In other words: "Hey Mr. Company. I know that you have spent thousands of man-hours, and millions of dollars in R&D developing a product that is largely unrivaled in the industry, and that you are set to package all that hard work into a new product. Cool! But hang on, I have an AWESOME idea! If you could find it in your heart to NOT give me the full output of your R&D...if you could just give me like 10% of that, well, that would be super cool by me. And then I'll just pay you for the rest as I get my weekly allowance."

Um...yeah.

Come on, what would the AX8 cost if it "only" had 25% of the amps it had now? It would COST THE SAME because it would take just as much work/engineering/testing to make an AX8 with 50 amp models as it would to make one with 200 amp models. It would require the same engineering, the same hardware, the same number of switches, and so on. I think people are confused, thinking that the AX8 could be scaled-down from a hardware perspective (hence, making it cheaper) if it hosted less amp models.

I think people are confused, thinking that the AX8 could be scaled-down from a hardware perspective (hence, making it cheaper) if it hosted less amp models.

Agree with your entire post. I think for a lot of people it is not so much the price but a wish list of personal preferences they would rather have than 200 amps i.e. gimme 50 amps and let me run two at the same time like the Axe II, a headphone jack and mic pre etc.

Doesn't change that your post is right on, just saying what I think a lot of people are wishing when they say the things your post describes. That and the fact that if you want an Axe II you pretty much want the MFC 101 MIDI board too meaning $3k+ new, and totally worth it of course but beyond many peoples budget.

Wonder how many people will order the AX8 and forget to order expression pedals in their excitement :lol

The Ax8 would clearly do more than the Fx8 (amp, cab + fx vs fx only). The Fx8 is priced at $1350. I'd say be prepared to be very surprised. Unless they are planning to change the price for the MFC to $499 and Fx8 for $799 there's 0% chance of pricing this at $999 or lower. I'm feeling confident at $1,799.

Looks like we were both wrong... but I was closer! so there :lol .

Back
Top Bottom