I'm Just Going to Leave This Here

Again, I'm not advocating an internet-connected method; just identifying that it's one way DRM is done.
Nono, I realize that you weren't, I just just trying to show that there ARE at least a few of us that would be negatively impacted by something like that.

I really miss online gaming. :(

My reply was in response to iLock, who use a USB dongle. That's what has to be connected to the internet (in some cases), not the Axe itself.

Even worse. I have some software the requires iLok and that's sort of ok because I can just leave the stupid dongle plugged in. Even that sucks though because it requires me to load another driver on my system.

Keeping track of a dongle and requiring it to use on a floorboard would suck hard. Also, I've never heard of iLok working for a standalone device. It would require some non-trivial coding to explicitly read from the iLok dongle. Then there's the issue of supporting multiple versions of the iLok hardware itself and potential future versions. This all sounds like a configuration management nightmare for Fractal. Not to mention the headache due to support calls.

For this sort of thing, it will be far less hassle and less costly (aka, more profitable) to implement a less hardened model of license management - it's not like this is regular PC/Mac software that has trivial means for distribution that runs on a gazillion devices. Note that Line 6, Eventide, Zoom, Digitech, etc. have managed to pull off fairly hassle-free methods of purchasing additional models without resorting to things like iLok or any other inconvenient tactics.

Totally agree. If there has to be DRM, a "check in" once every 72 hours or something could work, but AFAIK iLock doesn't have that option.

I'm pretty sure iLok can do that since it supports the notion of license expiration. It just means that Fractal would have to build a service to issue new 3-day licenses. That would of course be a big joy for Fractal to write. And imagine how awesome it would be if you're getting ready to hit the road for a long weekend of gigs and you need to refresh your iLok at the same time that a bunch of angry Behringer V-Amp hackers decide to DDoS the Fractal site.

Nono, I realize that you weren't, I just just trying to show that there ARE at least a few of us that would be negatively impacted by something like that.

I really miss online gaming. :(

Yeah that would suck big time. Hopefully something they can remedy in the near future.

You may not be advocating per se but you seem to be trying to point out how it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Not at all, just that it wouldn't be that big of a deal for me. I'm simply saying that among all DRM options, that one would be less offensive than many of the others in my case. But I have easy access to the internet via multiple paths every day and every time I tour. I know the situation isn't the same for many others.

Yeah that would suck big time. Hopefully something they can remedy in the near future.
It's been 4 years now.

Thank god the rows and rows of McMansions down the street are ok. :|

I'm about the jump on the new CabLab and I have to admit, while I've yet to have an issue with iLok on PT11, I'm a little concerned about any online authentication for ANY software I use. Not going to keep me from trying it, because I trust FAS and their support, but with others, y'know...

I bet modeling processor will be the same Shark used for effects (because of volume cost cut). One (G3) amp and one cab, even if the cab is not at max resolution, is just enough, and not as demanding for the processor. Roughly the same sensible cuts done with the effects.

Would be nonsense a unit less powerful than the already limited FX8, so the same 8-max effect blocks + amp and cab is expected.

Price will be in the FX8 ballpark, for sure. US$ 1.699 street/direct is a good bet.

My main concern with this units pre-release is (what appears to be) limiting routing options. This is the main AxeFX differential, maybe still more than the tone quality itself, and a product without that is not the same DNA (just "series/parallel" for each effect, for that matter). A grid with free patching, AxeFX-like would be far better (we don't know the editor, so it can already be like that, hopefully).

Supposing the grid routing, his product has potential to be a real winner, more than FX8. Many AxeFX users will buy for backup and rehearsals/jams, and opens a whole new (and far bigger) market share in other price point.

Last edited:
Please-Do NOT dumb it down. Full blown only. Jeezz, I sure hope so.

Pretty please..........................................It IS an AXeFX, let's all remember that.

-- cit. Were out of fuel on this discussion, Fractal, give us some hints --

I agree! Too many words...but nothing real info :)
Ax8 would be the best compromise between AxeFx High quality and Fx8 portability.
Hope to hear news or the launch date as soon as possibile!

Cliff could let clear some main aspects that would help most people interested in AX8 to plan their acquisitions with confidence:

-If the G3 modeling is identical of the AxeFX, full, not lower resolution, etc. Compatibility of amp blocks, for that matter.

-The effect section is identical of the FX8, with (up to) 8 blocks for efx PLUS amp and cab?

-The "SETUP" tab in FX8 editor's picture is the grid (free) routing?

-Approx. road-map, if it's some months after FX8 release or not as "soon".

I think this info would not compromise anything once we already have a picture of the unit itself and some general info, and would help us as much as we're helping fractal with our feedback ;)

Last edited:
This looks like a stage tool to me, not a studio tool. Get the AxeII for that. No audio interface needed with this, IMO.

Why would this be limited to just a "stage" rig? Thats ridiculous. The product should have all the functionality of an audio interface, usb recording etc.

Most consumers would only own this or the AXE2....not both

Why would this be limited to just a "stage" rig? Thats ridiculous. The product should have all the functionality of an audio interface, usb recording etc.

Most consumers would only own this or the AXE2....not both

I'm speaking from the standpoint of the product developer. If it were me, I would not add so many features that it cuts into the AxeII market. I agree that most consumers would own one or the other. It's all speculation at this point so that's my guess which is guaranteed to be wrong!

Last edited:
If it were me, I would not add so many features that it cuts into the AxeII market. I agree that most consumers would own one or the other. It's all speculation at this point so that's my guess which is guaranteed to be wrong!

If I had to make my entire living playing guitar, I'd own the AX8 only. If I still have the day job, then I own both: axe-fx2 permanently in the studio and ax8 for gigging.

Back
Top Bottom