I'm Just Going to Leave This Here

Spoiler Alert.
And..... This forum is going to be destroyed when 100,000 kids suddenly log on after getting one of these bargain Mini Axe's under their Christmas Trees. I just thought about that part of the equation. You think we have occasional issues with bad apples on this forum now. I fear that this place will end up going the way of Harmony Central with this underage insurgency of punks in puberty. <- Exaggerating, I am sure many of them will be the coolest kids around, but just making a noted point of potential things to come.
Dread

keep the complexity (and depth)
Paid presets (artist * song * part)

Tier 1 - 25$ a preset
Tier 2 - 10-15$
Tier 3 - 5$

premium presets - optimized for your type of guitar (pointy vs round)

In general I've long been all for modular capability, but more for the user to decide which amp / modules to load in case memory is running out.
Since in the Axe-Fx II that possibility (for amps) is almost non-existant(?), it may be less of a worry now...
Or maybe if we would get the "amp builder" addon and Paco would drown us with Marsupilami models... ;)

As a builder I would be against "pay per module" for reasons of...

- pirating (if you leave that possibility open?)
- epiphanies that may make it necessary for people to redownload modules
- many people seem content with just a few amps, so don't overestimate the financial gains
- the past vibe of the Axe-Fx where Cliff said "firmware updates will always remain free" (even though the AX8 is a different machine and you can "talk your way out of it" by having free firmware updates but commercial modules at the same time)

There's a lot of people that can't afford Line6 let alone a $1,000 >< unit so I don't think FAS will be flooded except for Support & sales. We are a special crew (some more than others :)) but let others try a basic version while I get the full. The II & XL will remain the high end so I don't think we need to feel threatened IMO

Though I am enamored of the concept (i.e., a compact unit featuring amplifier modeling and cabinet emulation), my patronage will vary according to unit pricing as follows:

1. $899.99 will purchase two units (storing one in L.A.)
2. $999.99 will purchase two units (see preceding action)
3. $1399.99 will purchase one new unit and search for another in the second-hand market
4. $1699.99 will purchase one new unit
5. $1999.99 will delay purchase (upon initial release...)

Y'know what? I'd rather the MFC just had a memory so I could pick it up and take it to the gig and leave the Axefx at home... Of course the memory might be limited to 5 presets or something but I'd find that pretty useful instead of an all-in-one...
And If I needed to I could hook the MFC up to my computer and retrieve or swap presets remotely from my hotel room.

Jus sayin..

Here's a question Cliff if lets say you were to do a brain only with limited models to start . If you did like a line6 and put limited models in to ship let's say like 12

which ones would you pick?? just curious as to maybe your top 12 essential mods

Wouldnt make sense to but the best 12. Better off doing a wide tonal palette and leave the best rare unique models for purchase at a premium.

I'm wary of the "pay per module" concept, mostly from Fractals point of view. Currently things ar every clean with a new update. It's posted on their website & those that choose to do so download it. Not much management/infrastructure needed on the part of FAS.

Go to the "pay per module" concept & it gets complicated. I assume the base firmware (either with set amps or no amps) would be a similar concept as above. I'm assuming you would need separate downloads for each amp? There's probably an automated thing that can be set up when you purchase an amp (additional infrastructure) but what do you do when an amp you have bought has had a fix or upgrade? I guess the other way would be that the base firmware has all the amps and you buy "keys" to unlock them for your use. Regardless seems a bit messy logistically and far more complex than it is now.

It's a risk for FAS if they would recoup money lost with a reduced price on customers buying the additional packs. Maybe a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush?

Yeah, the decision will be to sell it at a lower price with only a few built-in models and then get people to upgrade or sell it at a higher price with all the models. There are pros and cons for each.

Does Line6 still do this? I think the XT you could buy model packs for like $50 or something. Do they do this with the HD?

Cliff, to be honest, I don't think you should even consider competing with Line6 in any way, let alone model packs or buying single amps later on. Fractal Audio is famous for your "no compromises" approach and the main thing that made every model of the Axe so successful was their hardware quality & sound quality plus the fact that every firmware updates (with new amp models, cabs, effect improvements etc.) were always free. This level of quality and dedication comes with a price, obviously, and people who play for a living / take their music seriously and professionally will pay the price that has to be paid, just like many of us do right now with the Axe II/XL and did with the Std/Ultra back then.
I'd hate to see a Fractal Audio device that has limitations or missing amp models just to cut prices by a few hundred dollars that you can collect later on. Maybe I'm sounding a bit radical now but let's be honest here: people who would buy a POD for ~500$ would certainly not buy an AX8 even for 999$ because at that price range the ~500$ difference is huge, even more so if they need to pay 10$-20$ for single amp models after the initial purchase.
I do believe though that people thinking in the 1000$ range would be more likely to pay 1500$ or something like that for the full AX8 package and I think it's a realistic price range and would still offer a great value and option for those who don't need / can't afford an XL + MFC.
I always hated the model pack thing, I always thought of it just like the in-app purchase apps in the App Store. Annoying and unnecessary IMO.
Just my 2 cents, though.

Cannot see his unit needing every single amp model the Axe fx 2 has, seeing as though most people claim to only use a few amps at the most and the HD500x didnt have that many amp simulations inside it and it still felt like there was too many (probably because they are all shite haha).
Personally i dont see the problem with fractal making an extra buck. And if i remember correctly, when the fx8 was first shown to the world people were creaming at the idea of having as little as one or two amp models and the ability to load irs

Here's the solution.
FX8, AX8- New affordable, lighter, professional solution in pedal format.
AXE FX II/ XL- Affordable, professional solution in rack format.
AXE FX III- NEW FLAGSHIP in pedal format utilizing new G3 technology. Stay current with the latest updates and most sought after amplifier and fx models. Experience the power of 3. The latest groundbreaking G3 modeling, 3 amp models per preset, 3 instances of individual effects with the quality you've come to love and expect.

Just an idea but why not offer an option to upgrade as well?

What about paying for effects instead? Just include amps, cabs, room for IRs and reverb. If someone wants more they can buy the FX8 or use their own pedals. i don't know the technical aspects, but could that be done with 1 DSP?

Back
Top Bottom