I'm Just Going to Leave This Here

This looks very nice. It has to be either priced similar to an Axe 2 and have the same ish features, models, FX. Or be cheaper with far less features. If it releases half the price of an XL but with all the same models, slots, etc then it'll kill the rack unit sales and resale. I can't really see that happening unless he's going mass market.

Who knows. All speculation.

it has already been stated that it will only run 1 amp and 1 cab block (not 2 of each like the rack units), will not have certain "esoteric" effect block types, and a few other things like that.

estimated price by forum members range from $1299-$1699. (personally i'm guessing $1599, only so i'm wrong and it's cheaper).

If the FX-8 is $1349 then I think this will be at least $1699 considering it has an extra processor and full blown amp modeling. I would guess that it will be more like $1899 or $1999.

Speculation aside though, this is really exciting!

Not only will it make my gig rig much smaller and lighter, but the amp control knobs make it super convenient for tweaking while performing or rehearsing. I want one of these!

This looks very nice. It has to be either priced similar to an Axe 2 and have the same ish features, models, FX. Or be cheaper with far less features. If it releases half the price of an XL but with all the same models, slots, etc then it'll kill the rack unit sales and resale. I can't really see that happening unless he's going mass market.

I agree. If the AX8 only has the limitations that Cliff has already noted, but has all or most of the other features of the AxeII/XL, then the price point the AX8 comes in at will be very interesting indeed! If it's much cheaper than the II/XL, then of course Fractal will sell a ton of the AX8 & therefore overall sales will be up, but the resale value of the II/XL for owners will definitely take quite a hit....lol

Anyway, it'll all be interesting once we get the full unit info + price

According to one of the Line 6 or Digitech guys (I forget which now) there is very little interest in rack gear at the moment, according to their market research - survey's and what not. Apparently it's been the case for several years now.

So it's no surprise that Fractal is going to push the floorboard angle, because it does seem to be what the majority of players want.

Looking forward to seeing what the full feature set of the AX8 is!

According to one of the Line 6 or Digitech guys (I forget which now) there is very little interest in rack gear at the moment, according to their market research - survey's and what not. Apparently it's been the case for several years now.

So it's no surprise that Fractal is going to push the floorboard angle, because it does seem to be what the majority of players want.

Looking forward to seeing what the full feature set of the AX8 is!

Grain of salt taken there.. L6 and DT products are not exactly high-end. In their price bracket you'd have to expect more interest in floorboard than rackmount.

That said.. I hope someday when the Axe-Fx III is invented it gets offered in rackmount AND floorboard. There's always a market for rack but I don't see why there couldn't be a market for a really high-end floorboard.

The products on the market alone show that. Who are these people? Civilians at large. They make all this possible.

I don't chime in often but will on this, hopefully it hasn't been mentioned, didn't want to read through 19 pages : )

Above what it already does as a standalone I would love to see this also link up with the Axe Fx as an outboard control pedal, maybe even "add" processing power to use effects only, for those of us who like 1 patch fix all type set ups. Sure the MFC has it's purpose but if the AX8 could also control the rack unit features through the physical control knobs i would bet we would see many MFC's for sale or be discounted with rack units....oh wait ; )

If the FX-8 is $1349 then I think this will be at least $1699 considering it has an extra processor and full blown amp modeling. I would guess that it will be more like $1899 or $1999.

Speculation aside though, this is really exciting!

I know it's all speculation but lets not get nuts here! For the sake of sanity how does $1,899 or $1,999 fit into the words "Aggressively priced" ? I don't know about you but even a $1,349 price tag is a tad steep. A $999 price tag would cement this unit into the hands of thousands if not tens of thousands of guitar players not to mention it would most likely slay anything remotely close to it.

Not trying to take money out of FAS's bottom line here but if QC and production are kept high it's possible to make it up on the back end in volume. Seriously let's try to be a little more positive and friendly with the money side of the speculating ;).

A $999 price tag would cement this unit into the hands of thousands if not tens of thousands of guitar players

I agree with you that it's not going to be $1899 or $1999.........but I also don't see it being $999 unless it's gonna be a 'really' stripped down Axe2, or the II/XL on the resale market will soon be $1300-$1500! Fractal will still win with this scenario so who knows?

I think this is inevitable anyway because the all in 1 floor modeler is by far the most popular, it just remains to be seen how "aggressive" Fractal is gonna go right now.......

I don't think it's going to be cheap, but if it did have a $999/£600/900EUR price range, I can see it becoming the go to floor modeller for amp modelling for the foreseeable future. But I don't think that price range is realistic, Fractal have never made any noise about even desiring to make something that cheap. They're about quality components and not cutting corners, I think that much we can all agree on, so I think right there... fantasy shattered!

Hell... even that price range is out of a lot of people's budgets!

I guess there is no XY for blocks, i dont see how you would switch the states.

There's a "Y-led" (top right led) for every footswitch, so my guess would be that it will indeed have X/Y switching capabilities.

I look forward to seeing the full feature set and specs when Cliff release them at some point down the line.

I don't think this unit is designed to do tone matching, but it would be awesome if a TM block was in the SW of the AX8 so we could send a TM from our AxeFx II to the AX8 and thus still among other things get killer acoustic guitar sounds from a piezo-equiped electric guitar.

Last edited:
This little unit looks like it would be my new practice rig. I could keep my Axe FX II racked in my studio rack and pack up the footboard. I dont use any crazy effects in my patch making and dont mind the simplicity behind having only one amp and cab block. Most of my presets use two cab blocks but i dont really use two at the same time.

I really like the way those quick access nobs look. I can see those being integrated into the newer rack model/ Axe FX III.

G3 is so legit it makes me hurt for those who didnt click and sold their Axe FX. I almost did. It always sounded really good but lacked feel. Fw 18b and G3 have fixed that for me.

This to me sounds amazing now. Like what I had thought it would sound like when i first bought my Axe II.

If the modeling algorithms and technology is finally there, maybe an Axe FX III isn't too far off. I would love to see those dedicated knobs on my rack!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rack or floor??
I reckon it all depends upon the manufacturer's target market..

I'd imagine Pro / Semi Pro / "high-end" minded guys would prefer rack stuff..
it flight cases with the poweramp and other bits and pieces..

I'd imagine the range of players from noob through to "guys that play the odd gig here and there" / jam night guys etc would prefer a floor unit
and there are more of these than there are pro's

but just because there are more novices than pro's in the world don't mean that there is no call for pro level rack mounting kit..
Line6 seem to me to be aiming squarely at the novice rather than pro end of the market. so if they make zillions of moderate quality / well featured, low-ish cost floor units, then they'll be hitting a bull's eye in their target market..

Note: the market research done to justify the above statements was exactly none.
The above reflects what the world looks like to Clarky's lil' brain

knobs on my rack!

Beavis-and-Butthead-Huh-Huh-Humbug-beavis-and-butthead-9406240-720-480.jpg

I don't think it's going to be cheap, but if it did have a $999/£600/900EUR price range, I can see it becoming the go to floor modeller for amp modelling for the foreseeable future. But I don't think that price range is realistic, Fractal have never made any noise about even desiring to make something that cheap. They're about quality components and not cutting corners, I think that much we can all agree on, so I think right there... fantasy shattered!

Hell... even that price range is out of a lot of people's budgets!

price will be an interesting thing here...
a floor unit won't appeal to many pro's.. and if it's priced too high it'll be out of reach of the market most interested in floor units..
FAS could find themselves selling these in far lower than expected numbers
especially given that the existing FAS customers have already invested in the Axe-II [which is the flagship] - so who'd be the new customers?

however, if it's price is comparable with the top Line 6 / Boss etc unit, and it's as FX / feature rich, then they may not be able to build them quick enough..

Or G.A.S. hits us all, and we buy one even if we don't really need it, just to try it out in person.

In reply to Clarky, this is why I would buy one.

My Axe II travels in circles from home to practice/studio to gig. I currently use a 4U rolling rack case w/Axe II, dbx IEM and Rolls MX28 w/custom rack ears.

Raw playing hours alone considered my rig sees the most use at home.

I don't need the IEM gear at practice/studio, but unless I want to dissassemble the rack I have to haul the whole rack setup plus floor controller and pedals when I go. An AX8 and pedals would make for a light load to haul to practice.

For gigs when I do need the IEM gear, I could drop to a 2 or 3U short depth rack case. I have two light easy to handle 3Us collecting dust.

My flagship Axe II could stay at home in its' annointed spot where it sees the most action and is safe from bumps, bruises and spilt beverages.

Also, I haven't been able justify buying a second Axe II for a backup. With the AX8 because of (hopefully) lower cost and portability added to the need for a backup, I can justify the purchase in my mind RIGHT NOW. I'm already working out where the cash will come from.....where's the waiting list?

Back
Top Bottom