I'm Just Going to Leave This Here

Really? Geez, no wonder there is tons of love for us FAS users . . . . . People are speculating that it will cost over triple what an HD500 is. I bet Line 6 are filing chapter 11 already. . . . . . lol.

How do you figure over triple? First of all, I said I was hoping it would be under $1200.00. This would be just over double what a HD500 would cost ($500). I feel that at the quality level of the unit at close to double would sway a lot of POD users to the quality of a FAS unit like this. There is a huge market around the $1000.00 range that this could fill. Just my opinion. I also never said Line 6 was going to go bankrupt...sheesh.

One thing that people have missed when discussing the difference between FX8 and AX8 pricing - the FX8 is designed to work with a tube amp, in 4-cable method, with ultra transparent AD/DA stages.

The AX8 - for all we know - is just a stereo in and stereo out device.

I reckon they'll be priced similarly, because each device has a different use case.

One thing that people have missed when discussing the difference between FX8 and AX8 pricing - the FX8 is designed to work with a tube amp, in 4-cable method, with ultra transparent AD/DA stages.

I reckon they'll be priced similarly, because each device has a different use case.

I don't think that Cliff would use cheaper and worse AD/DAs for the AX8 than the FX8.

I don't think that Cliff would use cheaper and worse AD/DAs for the AX8 than the FX8.

Well... not sure I can agree with that really. He said in another thread that the FX8 uses new opamp's by Analog Devices. No guarantee that the AX8 will use them, and indeed ... maybe it doesn't need to? Maybe there is only one stage of AD and one stage of DA. And since it isn't intended to be plugged into the front of a valve amp, noise is not as big a concern.

I couldn't use the Axe FX II MkI in 4-cable-method with my Fryette Sig X, because it was ridiculously noisy. On it's own... it was fine.

How do you figure over triple? First of all, I said I was hoping it would be under $1200.00. This would be just over double what a HD500 would cost ($500). I feel that at the quality level of the unit at close to double would sway a lot of POD users to the quality of a FAS unit like this. There is a huge market around the $1000.00 range that this could fill. Just my opinion. I also never said Line 6 was going to go bankrupt...sheesh.

In the post I quoted you didn't have the 1200 dollar price. Most seem to feel it has to cost more than the Ax-8 which means 1200 is likely not happening. Even if 1500 would be triple.

"close to sway a lot of POD users" is a bit different than POD guys can get a "REAL" modeler in all caps. I guess I just don't get why in a thread about a killer new FAS product, we feel compelled to bash Line 6. FAS does not want to be Line 6 and Line 6 does not want to be FAS. They are different companies with different goals.

I us two XLs, own a kemper, two POD HD Pros and still have an HD500x for traveling. I can see the AX-8 possibly/probably replacing the HD500 as my travel "rig" but need to weigh better quality vs Variax integration. If I start using the AX-8 that doesn't make the POD not a "REAL" modeler IMHO.

Didn't someone say the AX-8 will have mono out , stereo return FX loop? Probably wasn't FAS but still a likely scenario.

One issue with pricing is you can't usually price soley on BOM, but have to price on capabilities and market factors. It doesn't matter all that much if the AX-8 cost less than FX-8 to build. If the AX-8 is perceived to do more than AX-8 which would likely be the case since it adds Amp Modeling which is a major draw of the Axe. That would likely lead most to buy the AX-8 unless they needed the amp switching included on FX-8.

Ax8 would be an excellent piece of gear in terms of "easy gig"!
It will replace rack + stand + pedalboard + several cables in 1 block!
In a live contest I don't think it would be useful using 2 amps, Axe can recreate so many tones.... and, imho, during a gig it needs less flavour than recording sessions.
I hope Fractal will remove only few blocks as possible (with a human and accessibile price)
I could change my Axe II with Ax8 (I'm using it only for live gigs)

feature list (number of effects at once, 1xAmp, 1x Cab, Number of foot switches, etc...) makes the thing a closer competitor to Kemper Profiler + Kemper Remote combo, IMO. So, i assume we`ll see a similiar pricetag in that price range...

IMO, the AX8 is a FX8 with additonal second DSP (for Amp) and dedicated endloss encoders for AMP parameters (also hint for Kemper competition...). The FX8 is $1350. I assume, we`ll end in the $2K pricerange...

If AX8 ends much cheaper, near to FW8 prive range, it will parasite the FX8 ... makes no sense to me, marketing and producing cost wise...

my 2 cents...

This would be awesome. I would love to use this live and leave the Axe FX in the studio.
Sounds like it will have the quality sound of the Axe, that is all we can ask.
Much simpler setup, guitar, cable, Ax8 to Atomic.

Am I the only one thinking this is just some goofing around w/ Photoshop while going stir crazy after being snowed in for the past couple weeks?

That being said put me on the wait list also!

No way will this be mono. This will still have stereo outs, its going to have an fx loop so 4cm still a possibility although maybe not quite as high quality as the fx8 for that. This thing will rock. I'm thinking fractal will implement midi too so we can use this as a backup and foot controller. I'd love it. Unfortunately I don't think my funds will line up. Buying a house this week....

Still loving all these new products. Now I could sell my setup and maybe just have this :) Guitar in gig bag with Ax8 in pocket and off you go. Thats incredible!

My speculation:

The AX8 is not an AXE-FX and not a FX8. The amps, cabs and effects are reduced to that, what the cheaper processors can handle. Thats totally OK for a floor unit.
I guess the price will be about twice that of POD HD500 or a little more. This would be the price to consider whether I buy the AX8 as a backup unit, for rehersal and for fun.

My speculation:

The AX8 is not an AXE-FX and not a FX8. The amps, cabs and effects are reduced to that, what the cheaper processors can handle. Thats totally OK for a floor unit.
I guess the price will be about twice that of POD HD500 or a little more. This would be the price to consider whether I buy the AX8 as a backup unit, for rehersal and for fun.

Cliff already said it would have G3 amp modeling so I would think the algos for amps / cabs / efx are the same.

I would think - no midi I/o except maybe usb, no digital out, possibly no usb recording or soundcard abilities (I hope I'm wrong about this one), and maybe even a reduced sample rate so the new cpu's can handle the load and also not compete with the II as a high end recording/studio solution. I think $1,200. The FX8 is high end only meant for compliment to an amp, so completely different markets for all the devices.

Just give me a really basic unit that simply has those rotary encoders/LEDs and I can connect to my AxeFX via the MFC port (I don't own an MFC). Then my life will be complete.

This device looks awesome though.

Cliff already said it would have G3 amp modeling so I would think the algos for amps / cabs / efx are the same.

Yes, I'm sure, the amp modelling is so great like in the AXE-FX. But only one amp and cab and lesser effects at the same time. For many users this would be enough.

Back
Top Bottom