I'm in facebook jail

How will you ever know what kind of potato you are?
VnSUx5E.jpg

Facebook is great when used as intended. Sharing photos, videos of family and friends. Letting each other know how you're doing and making plans to get together.

It's when it's used to incite negativity, violence, crazy conspiracies and lies that it becomes detrimental. Too many people forget the old saying "I read it on the internet, so it must be true".

In 4th grade I rememeber we did a test where each student whispersed something to the next, and so on, and so on. By the time it got to the 6th or 7th person it wasn't even close to how it started.

Now I just have a more cynical view. The world is average intelligence. Half the people are smart, the other half are stupid.

Facebook is great when used as intended. Sharing photos, videos of family and friends. Letting each other know how you're doing and making plans to get together.

It's when it's used to incite negativity, violence, crazy conspiracies and lies that it becomes detrimental. Too many people forget the old saying "I read it on the internet, so it must be true".

In 4th grade I rememeber we did a test where each student whispersed something to the next, and so on, and so on. By the time it got to the 6th or 7th person it wasn't even close to how it started.

Now I just have a more cynical view. The world is average intelligence. Half the people are smart, the other half are stupid.
Get rid of it. Aside from it being horribly addictive, it does far more harm than good not only to you but to society as a whole.

All the people I want to have that stuff still get it. I just don’t share it anymore with 4000+ strangers or people I barely know. They don’t all need to know I got a new guitar. Then that I’m on vacation. How easy do I have to make it to get robbed? So many people do this and I was included.

Facebook is so 2016.

Most of us are actually mediocre at best. The outliers are the exceptionally bright and brilliant (who
may have other personality defects/character issues that make them a challenge) and the exceptionally
dull (who often suffer from trauma, neglect, lack of appropriate nutrition, or environmental toxicity).

It is kind of nuts that 80 percent of people polled think they are smarter than average, though? Mathematically
impossible. :)

It probably means that the majourity of us are not smart enough to know that we are not that smart.

This is an interesting read. Who knew some people made a lifetime study of stupidity, and it's
high costs on our society, culture, and human relationships.

It's really a sobering analysis. The dumbasses at work, and in our close relationships, force the smart
among us to work harder to offset the stupidity. In short, stupidity is exhausting for everyone but the
stupid.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/...s-of-human-stupidity?utm_source=pocket-newtab

"Stupid people, Carlo M. Cipolla explained, share several identifying traits: they are abundant, they are irrational, and they cause problems for others without apparent benefit to themselves, thereby lowering society’s total well-being. There are no defenses against stupidity, argued the Italian-born professor, who died in 2000. The only way a society can avoid being crushed by the burden of its idiots is if the non-stupid work even harder to offset the losses of their stupid brethren. "

I think a person of average intelligence as a prerequisite must admit they dont know everything and must be able to seek out and identify credible information. People of average intelligence also must be able to process losing, failing and general mopery without making excuses for it. So many Americans fail miserably at this and therefore deserve to be categorized as lame brained. Many of these people gravitate to social media and it becomes an echo chamber of moronic rambling with a healthy dose of harrumphs.

Lastly, intelligent people are willing to have their views and beliefs challenged and will change them based on new, credible information. Your average fb poster will tend to just dig their heels in and revel in being wrong. Count me out of all that bullshit.

Excellent post, Bruce. Literally everything we know we learned from someone else--whether good, bad, or ugly. :)

I just think it is kind of nuts how idealistic we used to be about the "Internet." What could go wrong if you put
all the world's accumulated knowledge and wisdom out there for everyone to access mostly for free?

I don't think anyone really assumed that the Information Superhighway could become the Disinformation Express!

I think a person of average intelligence as a prerequisite must admit they dont know everything and must be able to seek out and identify credible information. People of average intelligence also must be able to process losing, failing and general mopery without making excuses for it. So many Americans fail miserably at this and therefore deserve to be categorized as lame brained. Many of these people gravitate to social media and it becomes an echo chamber of moronic rambling with a healthy dose of harrumphs.

Lastly, intelligent people are willing to have their views and beliefs challenged and will change them based on new, credible information. Your average fb poster will tend to just dig their heels in and revel in being wrong. Count me out of all that bullshit.
So funny you posted this comment. I'm finishing up a paper for my industry and in my closing comments, I wrote this:

"Summing up to the original question, “does my evidence, does my data, change my mind about my action?” Statistics are used to change our mind utilizing data as our evidence. If you are still reading this paper, the data presented should change your opinion. By breaking with conventional wisdom of simply taking some data, calculating the results, and assume the data is “good enough”, we can conclude there’s always room for improvement, hopefully without personal bias.

Statistics, by themselves, are not facts. They help us tell a story, using the best data available, and presumably lead us to the facts by making informed decisions under uncertainty."

You are spot on!

Get rid of it. Aside from it being horribly addictive, it does far more harm than good not only to you but to society as a whole.

Case in point;
Last year I was sitting outside a coffee shop enjoying a lovely sunny day sipping my cappuccino when a bunch of cars came screeching to a halt and out jumped a rabble of angry young people, both male and female.
Next thing I knew two guys invaded my space grappling and punching each other. One guy got the better of the other and got him in a choke hold and held it until he flopped to the ground. He was about to launch in with an all out assault when I jumped up and told him to stop before he kills the guy.
Then this old guy came striding up the road telling everyone to fuck off before he calls the cops...so they all jumped back into their cars and disappeared.

Turns out the beef between this group of idiots was generated on Facebook...he said this, she said that.

Never been on FB or any of the others and never will be.

Back
Top Bottom