i'm having trouble here.

chris

Owner's Manual Reader
my time helping out here is done. not a break. done. if you don't care, that's fine. i'm just posting this to let people know officially.

lately it seems like threads from people genuinely asking for help are derailed even as soon as the first reply and the question never gets answered.
seems like small specifics barely related to the topic are nitpicked and hashed out for pages and pages, all while ignoring the actual question.
seems like some people who seem to be "helping" are really just trying to prove they know more than someone else, yet not solving the problem.
seems like more than ever, people are calling out those who are truly helping for the way they are going about helping, all while not contributing at all to the question.
seems like helpers are getting called out for answering with a simple solution to a question instead of going to the nth degree with a fringe solution that isn't typically applicable or doesn't even solve the problem.
seems like some topics are being "claimed" by individuals and if anyone else helps, they don't know what they're talking about.

it just seems like there's more conflict rather than help these days, more than ever. yes some of what i've mentioned is par for the course for a forum. but it just seems like it's much more frequent and biting lately. maybe it's just me. i've been helping on this forum close to 15 years i think.

this forum is the best place to get information straight from the company. but as someone who tries to help, sometimes it can be brutal. i'm not sure why it has to be that way.

i've already made similar threads very recently, and this feeling came up yet again. just came back from another "forum break" and already feel this way again after one day. it just means it's time to stop.

if you do want my help, right now the best place is my Discord Server: https://discord.gg/TDFvGV4sDF
post a new thread in the "Forum" style channel. if i'm not busy, i'll help out.

as i'm on the beta team, i'll still be here and may post concerning betas, reporting bugs, asking people questions specific to bug reports, etc. but i will just not be helping with any troubleshooting or general questions anymore.

it's been mostly fun. be sure to say thanks to all those who are still helping people - it's not easy.

and remember - this is the main place for new and old users alike to ask questions from a user community, experts, and even staff and developers. it's suggested in the manuals and right in Fractal-Bot. let's be friendly to the new faces that appear every day.

if you see a question from a lost user and you're dying to post, please ask yourself if your post is going to contribute or detract from the end goal of helping someone. if it's going to detract, maybe type it out to get it out of your system, but then just hit cancel and don't post it. if your post is helping you more than it's helping the guy who asked the question, maybe re-evaluate.

eh, anyway. see you around.

Bummer Chris. Your help over the years has been greatly appreciated by MANY users, myself included. Folks do seem a bit more pissy around here than usual. If I have unknowingly contributed to that in any way, my apologies for sure. Your contributions will be greatly missed.

Hi Chris,
I remember a time when a young fella named Chris, helped out so much, he was rewarded with a Fractal unit - I also remember the breaks you've had to have to escape the assholes (Spelt Arseholes here in the land of Oz).

I've also noticed a 'new breed' of users, who all but demand <Insert wish for a preset, cap, or assistance> things with no understanding of the correct way to do it without pissing people off. They've possibly not been taught humility, or that sometimes, others may know best. I still try to help, but sometimes 'Go fuck yourself' seems the more appropriate reply.

There's still lots of good people around here. It just gets hard to filter the noise.
Hope you can at some stage find yourself back here in a helping capacity as you've been a great help to so many new (and old!) users, sometimes with very little, if any thanks.

Thanks for all you've done.
Pauly

my time helping out here is done. not a break. done. if you don't care, that's fine. i'm just posting this to let people know officially.

lately it seems like threads from people genuinely asking for help are derailed even as soon as the first reply and the question never gets answered.
seems like small specifics barely related to the topic are nitpicked and hashed out for pages and pages, all while ignoring the actual question.
seems like some people who seem to be "helping" are really just trying to prove they know more than someone else, yet not solving the problem.
seems like more than ever, people are calling out those who are truly helping for the way they are going about helping, all while not contributing at all to the question.
seems like helpers are getting called out for answering with a simple solution to a question instead of going to the nth degree with a fringe solution that isn't typically applicable or doesn't even solve the problem.
seems like some topics are being "claimed" by individuals and if anyone else helps, they don't know what they're talking about.

it just seems like there's more conflict rather than help these days, more than ever. yes some of what i've mentioned is par for the course for a forum. but it just seems like it's much more frequent and biting lately. maybe it's just me. i've been helping on this forum close to 15 years i think.

this forum is the best place to get information straight from the company. but as someone who tries to help, sometimes it can be brutal. i'm not sure why it has to be that way.

i've already made similar threads very recently, and this feeling came up yet again. just came back from another "forum break" and already feel this way again after one day. it just means it's time to stop.

if you do want my help, right now the best place is my Discord Server: https://discord.gg/TDFvGV4sDF
post a new thread in the "Forum" style channel. if i'm not busy, i'll help out.

as i'm on the beta team, i'll still be here and may post concerning betas, reporting bugs, asking people questions specific to bug reports, etc. but i will just not be helping with any troubleshooting or general questions anymore.

it's been mostly fun. be sure to say thanks to all those who are still helping people - it's not easy.

and remember - this is the main place for new and old users alike to ask questions from a user community, experts, and even staff and developers. it's suggested in the manuals and right in Fractal-Bot. let's be friendly to the new faces that appear every day.

if you see a question from a lost user and you're dying to post, please ask yourself if your post is going to contribute or detract from the end goal of helping someone. if it's going to detract, maybe type it out to get it out of your system, but then just hit cancel and don't post it. if your post is helping you more than it's helping the guy who asked the question, maybe re-evaluate.

eh, anyway. see you around.

Sorry to hear this Chris - you make a major contribution to the forum which will be missed. I'd suggest to lay back for a while but it sounds like you've tried that.

Chris, thanks for everything you’ve done. Some of your vids were very helpful to me in the early days. All the best!

Life is short. Do what's right for you and don't look back. I wish you all the best and hope you get the peace of mind that you deserve.

Sorry to hear Chris, you were a huge help to me starting out. You've left a legacy here.

I do see exactly what you're talking about and I've come close a couple of times to saying something. It's hard not to think it's people from other forums and/or competing products bringing all the negativity in. Could just be my conspiracy theorist side poking it's head out but it could just be that more and more keyboard warriors are feeling their oats knowing they can't be punched in the nose. I really don't like using it but my ignore list seems to get added to more lately.

Take all the time you need but please don't let this be goodbye. There are definitely more of us here that appreciate you than you are aware of and many more can benefit from your knowledge and expertise in the future. I've tried to be a source of help due to, in part, your patience and consistency you've shown.

yeah, the forum is a very different place than it was a few years ago. inevitable with so many more members. i don't hang out here as much as i used to. Bakerman has always had the right idea, i reckon. he never posts anything much, but when he does, he flies in like a ninja, drops a knowledge bomb and gets the hell out. it'll be a shame if we don't see you around as much as we used to, but sometimes you've just got to look after number one.

Definitely understandable.

I find myself jumping in to help and before long I often give up because it’s just not worth the effort. Either the person you’re trying to help can’t/won’t answer a question you ask or the “I need to feel important” guys are so off putting I don’t want to be associated with the thread or the people “helping”.

This forum catches a lot of flack for the “I need to feel important” posts, which is really unfortunate. It’s great that people want to help, but the condescending attitudes towards newcomers is really, really off putting, even being a member here for over a decade. I think some wise advice would be ‘if you feel annoyed to answer the same question for the 200th time, don’t answer it’ and I know this one will fall on deaf ears because it’s the nature of the beast, but if at any point someone feels “I’m the smartest guy in this thread”, it’ll be beneficial to the forum if you keep your reply to yourself.

It’s one thing to keep the forum clean of Fractal Camp survivors, but not creating more Fractal Camp survivors should be a consideration. While I’ve certainly seen some cases in 11 years of people coming here without a clue and then double down on their ideas and when it doesn’t go in their favor, they run to other forums and say “FAS forum is meanie head”, like the guy who wasn’t using the scroll wheel properly and felt strongly that it should work the way he wanted it to. That guy still trashes this place nonstop and never discloses he was doing something improperly. But it’s a bummer when someone just got a Fractal unit, comes here for advice because they’re genuinely trying to learn and someone who has answered their same question a million times talks down to them as if they’re an idiot.

Back
Top Bottom