I'm having a little crisis in confidence...

fox5150

Inspired
Evening folks,

I have been loving every second with my Axe-FX since it arrived just before Easter weekend and have played pretty much at every available opportunity. At home I get some truly inspiring sounds, be they clean or dirty - I'm either noodling away or playing along with something and having so much fun. Roll round tonight, and I took it with me to band practice. On my own, I get some really nice sounds going on, although the crunch patch I used was a little bit mid honky, but nothing too bad really. As soon as we started playing, I just seemed to disappear, so I turned up a bit, and then it seemed as if all you could hear was the guitar, flooding everything. I'm obviously eq'ing something wrong as it should sit nicely.

I'm convinced that the problem here is me, and certainly not either the Axe-FX or the Matrix gear I've got to run it through - PEBCAK if you will (problem exists between chair and keyboard...). I expected to go to rehearsal tonight and put a massive grin on my face and impress my band mates with the "new" sounds I've got. And there in I think is one of the reasons why I'm having that crisis. I've got the sounds for my 80s band dialled in just right with my Boogie + G-System, and I thought I'd replicated them pretty well - replicated, being the operative word; I already have pretty good tones for what I'm doing. You would quite rightly ask why I bought it in the first place. There's the obvious "I want to try it out" that I challenge anyone not to succumb to, but I had/have a very definite end result that I wanted. I want a tool for live work, that gives me consistent sound from venue to venue, that sounds amazing. Together with that, the other goal was that I wanted a compact, portable rig.

I've come away thinking that maybe this isn't quite right for me, that I'm not capable of coaxing the sounds that I want out of this fantastic tool. I'm sure that given the right amount of time, and probably leaning on you guys for help, I can get to what I want to get to. I mean, I've heard examples on YouTube and Soundcloud, that have simply blown me away - I know they're in there to be had!

I will admit that I bought the Axe-FX with one eye on G66's return policy; that being that if you don't think it's for you within 15 days, they'll send out UPS to pick it back up again and refund the purchase price. Having had it for about 10 days now, that deadline is fast approaching. I've had band practice and, whilst I shouldn't expect to get it dialled in right away, I expected to be much closer than I was. I think last week there was a certain amount of my band mates telling me what I wanted to hear and tonight they were a little more analytical. The drummer adores the sound of my Lonestar Special and openly admits I've never sounded as good and doesn't think that tonight I held a candle to how I sounded at the gig on the weekend. Our bass player is probably the best musician I know and trust his judgement probably more than anyone else. He certainly didn't seem to think that I "disappeared" when we started playing and felt that it was very clear and sat nicely in the mix. However, he also pointed out that it was no better than my usual rig. And this might be what's really toying with me, I've spent an awful lot of money (as we all have) to get something that is as good as what I've got now. Granted, I can do so much more with the Axe-FX than I can with my traditional rig but, for this band, I don't need more than I've got. He suggested that maybe I should try it with a traditional guitar cab and that maybe it's the FRFR that I'm struggling with, but then that doesn't get me to my "portable, compact rig".

After that wall of text, I expect most of you have switched off already. I'm not quite sure what I'm after - I guess just some insight or input from anyone else that's struggled to get going would help. I've got a muso friend coming round tomorrow to see if he can help - plus he wants to try it out - but I can honestly see me returning the Axe-FX due to my own limitations. I must reiterate, there's no way there's anything wrong with this fantastic tool, but more on the chap that's operating it ;)

If you create tones in isolation at a lower volume then they will absolutely sound different at high volume and in a band context.

I'd suggest having a chat with your band mates and asking for an hour at your next rehearsal to knock your tones out while they play with you. You'll no doubt nail it down.

I'd spend more time dialing it in to your likes, than second guessing yourself. It's there - it's able - and you'll be fine. You just have to commit and screw the 15 day return policy. Secondly, if it's too daunting a task, just revert back to 9.x and carry on till the creases are ironed out. It'll sort itself out - you're the captain - take charge. I mean it.

It's like any new piece of gear; it takes a little time to figure out. My first few rehearsals were awkward until I learned what the different level settings translated to, sound-wise. After a couple rehearsals I got used to it and now I'm more comfortable with the Axe than I am with my old setup.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I did create these tones at what I would consider band volume and dialled back the usual culprits - too much delay/reverb, over pronounced bass & treble. Unfortunately, we're not rehearsing again for a couple of weeks, so I won't get to try it again with everyone else before the returns policy expires.

I don't think it's a v9/v10 issue as v10 sounds so much more "amp like" to me. Granted, I don't have a great frame of reference for v9 but as soon as I installed v10 I could tell the difference straightaway.

I guess I'm just panicking, but I'm really concerned that I'll blow out the returns policy and not be able to get it sounding "right". Tonight really dealt me an unexpected sucker punch and it's got me questioning the whole thing.

I've had mine for about eight months. Firmware upgrades aside, I'm miles ahead of where I was last summer as I learn more and more. Even from the start it was great, but kept getting better and better as I got better. So while I applaud these return policies, I don't think 15 days is enough if you're coming in cold (no Fractal history, for example). Just IMO.

Over the months I've come to really appreciate the community here. I swear these players can fix anything I ask and fast. This is something very special - and that's hard to put a price on.

Everyone can feel this when first investing into high dollar merchandise. Your sound is in the box. I had the same feeling the first week, but asked myself if not this, then what. I've played it all and have been playing a real long time. Learn how to use the AXE FX II. If you double click the bypass button fast, it will reset the amp settings to default. At first I could not find the sound I had in mind , but now I could not imagine playing through anything else. I'm mainly a jazz player, but have played and enjoy all music.

I almost sent mine back because I couldn't figure it out the first few weeks of owning it. Now that I know my way around somewhat after having it about a year now, I wouldn't dream of getting rid of it! Its the best!

I really appreciate everybody taking the time to read my post and offer the replies. I've been really soul searching with this and after much thought and discussions with friends (and the wife!) I've decided to keep the Axe-FX and incorporate it into my current rig to replace the G-System, which should take me a grand total of 13 seconds :)

I can then continue to refine my FRFR approach as I'm convinced what I want is in there. Let's face it, I know what I want is in here as I've heard all your wonderful recordings and videos - why else would I have bought it otherwise! As good as the return policy is from G66, I don't believe 14 days is enough for a novice, such as myself, to figure out how best to use it. I've downloaded some patches and fiddled and one thing that has jumped out at me, yet again, is just how important the IR is. I downloaded one set of presets, but without the IR it didn't sound right.

I've got a crazy run of gigs over the next 4 weeks and then we've pretty much got the summer off - if you can consider one gig a month to be "off"! This should give me loads of time and opportunity to truly figure it out.

I would like to say that it's the community within this forum that has helped me reach this decision, not only in your advice within this thread, but how freely I see people offering their advice and guidance to the "noobies" like me. The community spirit in this little corner of the internet is truly marvellous.

Thanks again,

Simon

You won't regret keeping it, I'm fairly certain. I too had regrets/doubts when I first bought it -- didn't really blow me away and I was underwhelmed. Then I started to learn how to use it, and firmware updates later (10 being the biggest improvement I've noticed) I am in love with the freaking thing. Now my approach to it is pretty simple, and I'm not sure why I couldn't dial it in at first. I think maybe you see how complex it can be and all the capabilities and you think you need a complex approach. Now I just pick the amp, cab, and worry about drive, master, B, M, T and usually that gets me 99% of the way there.

Good luck, and have fun!

Not a pro by any means, but when I first got this thing I didn't really care for the sound that was coming out at me. But I heard the potential (and actual results like you via youtube/recorded albums) so I knew my tone was in there somewhere.

Now I can't imagine playing through anything else.

Hey Simon,

Come on over and help me load my OLD 200+ pound rack into my Van... THAT should get you over the thought of the old rig REAL quick ! ;-)

Honestly, My 4 space rack of tone-wonder, replaced a 24 space shockmounted rack that was pretty ridiculous.

The problems you experienced have been pretty common, and usually comes from a lack of mids in your tones.... what speaker system did you dial the sounds in with ?

I set up my patches at home to sound "a little muddy", meaning more low mids (around 250Hz) and less highs and less deep lows than what I'd consider a normal balanced tone.

It needs to be done moderate volume levels, not too quiet, and using the stage gear, not headphones. This has worked well for me in getting live & loud & stage tones in the ballpark, over many years and with lots of different equipment.

Call G66 and tell them you aren't convinced and want to return it. See if they'll give you another couple of weeks to work with the peeps here. I was once where you were but now I would kill the MFer who thought about stealing it.

Back
Top Bottom