I'm gonna give v18 a shot, updating from v14 - anything I should do?

So yeah, what the title says. This time I'm actually going to try to dial a tone from scratch alongside trying to retweak my current ones. I'll give it until the weekend to convince me.

Yes there is one main step yo should do. Purchase some Depends, because you will shit your pants once you upgrade HAHAHHA.

I think I'm on v13.xx or something. I haven't updated because I love what I'm getting. People are going apeshit over v18 though, so I think it might be time for another leap.

To be fair though, folks here tend to go ape shit over every firmware upgrade. That's a testament to the advances Cliff and team make each time they introduce some new tech, and it's probably well deserved.

In all honesty, if I'd had more free time over the last several months I wouldn't have stayed with fw15 as long as I did. I'm just glad I had a lull in my work schedule right around the time 18 was officially released. I've updated with every major revision since I got my Axe at fw11 up to 15, and I've never been disappointed. I can say that in spades with this release. Leaps and bounds beyond anything I've ever encountered with fw updates.

Anyone hanging on to old firmware because of doubts should put that to rest. Back everything up and take the plunge. Do a sys-param-reset, then tweak a bit if needed. I'm willing to be most will stick with 18 and absolutely love it. If not, though, no harm, no foul, restore back to your preferred fw and presets and keep on keepin on.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Frankly I was perfectly happy with what I'd dialed in with 15. I'm glad I took a chance and gave 18 a try. Backups make life so much easier if you want to go back, so really you have nothing to lose.

GO FOR IT PEOPLE! =)

Back everything up and if you have favorite patches which im sure you do record those with no efx and with efx
just to have a reference on the amp dry and with efx..

Then if you change you can dial things back into your dry reference recordings and at least be able to get back in the comfort zone.
paramater reset in utility I went from 13.4 too 17.4 that was large but then went too 18 and from 18.3 to 18.4
things changed and I started to come apart at the seams but went to sleep and the following day read a post from
Der leader who said to reset parameters and I did that and everything came back much better at that point..

You will have to readjust and revisit things which is why I suggest recording some of each of your favorite amps
dry and with efx so you can listen back and dial it in on the fly.

In case you are 2nd guessing and saying ah should have saved it or recorded it you should.
I backed it all first and then updated but by then id done 114 amps and was well sideways and had ear fatigue.
When everything changed I thought ah damn I should have recorded dry samples of each amp or at best the favorite go to amps.

But honestly you gotta tweak them again anyway so having a dry sample would be good in case you 2nd guess some and wonder
I should have waited till 18.4 dropped then redid 114 amps cause I wore myself out the 18.4 changed and I said im going to sleep.
The fix was the parameter reset after 18.4 was in..

In a way you are right on time because 18.4 is settled down that said since I did reset 114 amps and I redid parameters
I note some things still must be touched but most things are not red lining as they were from 17.4 too 18
everything is much hotter and stronger and settled down by 18.4 so you are actually making the leap at a good point.

I went from 13.4 to 17.4 so you will be fine if you want record your best patches and then back it all up
and nothing to worry about..

Im waiting on a 5 pin to redo the mfc and im a bit nervous hoping I dont phux that up but should be ok.
I see there is a new editing system for the mfc which looks great I think that will be worth every cent.
Everything is better just know that.. But for peace of mind or 2nd guessing yourself or patches just record and back it all
and have at it.

Its some work but I keep reminding myself ive been wanting this all my life and to enjoy the process and be open minded.
No worries everything is much much better.

Back
Top Bottom