I'm getting an Axe-Fx Ultra. What else do I need?

GeorgeAalbers

Second-hand Axe FX Ultra's have come within my price range, and I've decided to finally go for it, so tomorrow I'll be an Axe FX owner. Super excited!

My plan is to run the Axe FX through Garageband, but I have no idea how easy it'll be to get this working. Is there anything else I need to buy? Are studio monitors absolutely necessary to get a decent sound? Are there any requirements for my computer (I have a Mac)?

Thanks a lot for your input!

Running outboard effects through a computer is overall very easy, Especially on current gen Macs.

1. Do you have an Audio Interface?
2. What speakers do you have already?
3. Which model Mac (Year and iMac, Macbook Pro, etc...)
4. What DAW do you use (Pro Tools, Logic, ...)

So excited for you!

Thanks AlexanderJ!

1. Do you have an Audio Interface? Yep, the TASCAM US-322.
2. What speakers do you have already? JBL Creature
3. Which model Mac (Year and iMac, Macbook Pro, etc...) iMac early 2011; Macbook Air early 2015
4. What DAW do you use (Pro Tools, Logic, ...) I use Garageband

Good news! You have everything you need to get started. You can just plug the Ultra into the Tascam and record away. Alternatively, reamping by recording the dry and then sending that out through the line outs to the Ultra and back in through the Mic Pres is also an option. Your computers are more than up to the task. I don't use Garageband personally so I can't give you a step by step through setting reamping up on that. Was that what you were trying to do?

Also, the JBL Creatures will not give you a true representation of what your guitar sounds like. If you're just using it for fun, don't worry about it. You can still make it sound good to you and that's all that matters. If you're planning on making guitar tracks and sending them out, then consider getting a decent cheaper pair of monitors. Since you're ok with used (I'm assuming) you can get a decent pair for under $200.

Thanks for your help guys!

I got AxeFX and I love it. Still trying to figure everything out, but unfortunately, my audio interface is malfunctioning (has been for a while), so I've ordered a new one, which should arrive tomorrow. I'm also thinking about getting some monitors. Are there monitors that you would recommend? I'm looking at a pair of M-Audio AV32s, but they are well under $200, so I'm a little concerned they might not be worth the money.

I strongly suggest you to add a midi pedal for controlling the beast like for instance an FCB1010 or a Voes MC10+expression pedal.

BTW I have a V1 of the voes pedal for sale at any reasonable price you could propose; want to get a V2 that has better axe fx2 dedicated options.

Haha I love that you call it the beast. It really is! Man, that sound. The other day I was (unintentionally) pulling off some Zakk Wylde-esque pinch harmonics & vibrato. Could NOT believe my ears.

When it comes to Studio Monitors, 5 inches to 8 inches is a sweet spot for woofer size. I personally like the JBL 305s myself. The Presonus Eris, Yamaha HS, and KRK Rockits are all quality products. If you like bright and clear, the Yamahas are great. The JBLs are a bit scooped in the mids which makes them sound awesome for music and gaming (I use my much higher end monitors for my mixing). The KRKs are in between. All can be had for just about $200 used.

Thanks, I'll look into those. Are certain monitors better for certain genres? For instance, if I'd like to play Periphery (hypothetically, cause I can't), would one of these be my best pick?

EDIT: just saw two Mackie MR524 for a very good price. Would those do the job too?

The Mackies should do the trick. I don't have any personal experience with those but Mackie does have a track record of making good cheaper studio monitors. The speakers you should choose are the ones you like the sound of. Any good set should sound good with any style of music. Smaller than 5" and you might have trouble with bass heavy styles like hip hop and EDM but that's about it. I think Djent sounds awesome on the JBLs. I like Periphery, Animals as Leaders, and all that stuff too. Just don't ask me to play it!

I recommend you get an m audio midisport 2x2 so you can use the old axe edit. It will make tweaking presets a lot easier. As far as monitors go I suggest you go to guitar center and play some periphery through monitors that are in your budget (used or new), and decide which one sounds the best to you. It's all preference when it comes to monitors.

Stay away from yeks presets as they cause a rift in the space time continuum..... load them up and it will be a week the next time anyone sees you!

Congrats on the ultra! Ive been rocking mine jeez over 7 years now and still to this day find ways to uncover new sounds and effects. They are a beast. I will admit ive been tempted to get a newer version but everytime i turn on the ultra my smile keeps the cash in the bank!

And dont even think about IRs for at least a year! Lol.

I recommend you get an m audio midisport 2x2 so you can use the old axe edit. It will make tweaking presets a lot easier. As far as monitors go I suggest you go to guitar center and play some periphery through monitors that are in your budget (used or new), and decide which one sounds the best to you. It's all preference when it comes to monitors.

I bought the Midisport 2x2, but AxeEdit (final version for Ultra) won't recognise the AxeFX. I'm pretty sure I hooked everything up correctly. I'm not on the latest firmware, so maybe that's causing the problem. However, I don't know how to update since I can't connect the Axe to my computer... or can I?

EDIT: never mind, it worked. Turns out I had the In/Out wrong........

Congrats on the Ultra! Dont mean to hijack the thread but I recently switched to the 2 but I am starting to think it was a silly G.A.S. Decision. Im actually thinking about going back to the Ultra and also use a tube amp in my setup. Dont get me wrong though, the 2 is fantastic, I just feel I am not using it to its full potential.

So needless to say, I may be re joining the Ultra fam very soon! Only crappy part is having to use a midi interface again! **barf**

I bought the Midisport 2x2, but AxeEdit (final version for Ultra) won't recognise the AxeFX. I'm pretty sure I hooked everything up correctly. I'm not on the latest firmware, so maybe that's causing the problem. However, I don't know how to update since I can't connect the Axe to my computer... or can I?

EDIT: never mind, it worked. Turns out I had the In/Out wrong........
I have me too midisport 2×2 but doesn't ricognize axe fx ultra. Can you tell me the right In/Out ?

Make sure drivers are installed correctly for the midisport
A few days ago it was working properly. Because we have to move furniture around we had to disconnect the computer. When we connect back again the pc the edit doesn't recognize the midi sport . However the drivers of the midisport has been installed correctly. The problem is where we put the in/out from axe fx ultra to inA -InB-outA-outB midisports

A few days ago it was working properly. Because we have to move furniture around we had to disconnect the computer. When we connect back again the pc the edit doesn't recognize the midi sport . However the drivers of the midisport has been installed correctly. The problem is where we put the in/out from axe fx ultra to inA -InB-outA-outB midisports
We will check the SYSEX ID thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom