I'm Dreaming About An FM9. Literally!

TSJMajesty

Fractal Fanatic
Probably has something to do with watching Leon's recent video just before going to bed.

I just read of someone's first gig with their FM9, and how quick their setup was, and right then I remembered having a dream wherein someone had put on a song, oh I remember, it was Fleetwood Mac's The Chain (this was probably from watching a video of a guy playing the solo for his disbelieving gf! haha), and he had it hooked up and ready by the time the solo came in. And I don't own one!

#Too much time on the internet.

For years before I could afford an Axe-FX, I would have dreams about getting one. It would absolutely consume me. I had dreams of winning some sort of award and prize was an Axe-FX. Another time I had a dream that I was working for Fractal and was at a trade show (NAMM, maybe?) and Cliff got pissed off and fired me. Music tech is my favorite thing on earth so this sort of thing really wasn't surprising.

Weird, I dreamt about my FM9 on a gig last night. But it was one of those "equipment fail" dreams. In this case there was a voice-over option that audibly announced any preset or scene change, and I couldn't figure out how to turn it off :eek:

And the weird thing for me is, I almost never remember my dreams! I wonder what Floyd, er, Freud would have to say about that! (And that.)

I have had my Fm9 about 3 days now and this is a post regarding differences between Axe2 and the new FM9/Axe3 sounds and feel.

Right out of the box there are so many presets that inspire creativity.

The only negative I could find was this:
In many videos and just in general people make it seem as tho you can export presets.
They also talk about FracTool being a way to deliver.
This is false.
FracTool can help you see the setting/perimeters of an old preset but it will NOT allow you to seamlessly move old presets over - no problem.

This was a little heartbreaking for me but not a big deal overall.
Just means you’re going to have to spend some time here.

That’s it! No other disappointments.

The actual sound is beyond perfect. It also reacts (signal) with feedback like a real amp. I had trouble getting that using “modern” gates with the Axe2 but this is now a non-issue.

The power increase - tho I said before wouldn’t matter , does make a small difference in that - I can use Ultra Res across all presets no matter how complex they are.

The new FX are unique and lend even more inspiration. Especially the moog style midi sounds. Pairing them with the following envolope filer had me sitting and tweaking little things for hours.
I even now can’t wait to get home to start on some more presets.
It’s been beyond fun.

The sounds are so crisp and clean. The foot switches are more intuitive than any modeler I’ve ever used.
It eats the Quad Cortex for lunch.
Not trying to start a big argument there. This is my personal opinion.
I think QC is a half baked idea that never got off the ground which is why I sold it.

As for recording, I literally don’t have to change much, if anything to make the presets sit in a mix.
It’s my wildest dreams come true,

If you have been on the fence, you should take a look.
It was worth waiting for a year.
My only regret was not buying an Axe3 to replace the Axe2 and using the FM9 for ALL my gigging.
It’s super portable and how about this… it uses an amp style power supply.
Not a ridiculous wall wart/trash power supply that feels like something an engineer found lying around a warehouse.

It’s a concept that made it to the end without taking ANY shortcuts.
Best piece of gear I’ve ever purchased to date.

Big thank you to @FractalAudio

Sam L

Are you referring to moving from Axe Fx II or between Axe Fx III and FM9?

How old are the videos you're referring to?

You can use FracTool for moving from Axe Fx II. The process is this:

Convert Axe Fx II to Axe Fx III format. Convert Axe Fx III to FM9 format.

Between Axe Fx III and FM9 you can simply migrate with the editors. This is a built-in feature.

As I've said in many posts, FracTool will convert the presets... But they won't sound the same due to many changes in the new systems. In the early days of Axe Fx III, they were pretty close... So older videos might reference that.

Are you referring to moving from Axe Fx II or between Axe Fx III and FM9?

How old are the videos you're referring to?

You can use FracTool for moving from Axe Fx II. The process is this:

Convert Axe Fx II to Axe Fx III format. Convert Axe Fx III to FM9 format.

Between Axe Fx III and FM9 you can simply migrate with the editors. This is a built-in feature.

As I've said in many posts, FracTool will convert the presets... But they won't sound the same due to many changes in the new systems. In the early days of Axe Fx III, they were pretty close... So older videos might reference that.
Okay, I will revise the comment. I really hope it works.
I didn’t try it as a 3 part process. Simply did as the video said and attempted to take Axe2 process to FM9
If this works you’re a life saver!

I am already 50% through the re-tool the presets manually. It’s been brutal.
I will try as you say and report.

Thanks,
SamL

I didn’t try it as a 3 part process. Simply did as the video said and attempted to take Axe2 process to FM9

Thanks,
SamL
It's really mostly useful to recreate the "structure" ("grid layout" and signal flow) of your presets.

You will almost certainly need to adjust many of the block settings for the various blocks.

Also, I think I would personally just do Axe Fx II to Axe Fx III with FracTool and then just import those presets into the FM9 with the editor.

No real point of using FracTool for that part, I think.

Weird, I dreamt about my FM9 on a gig last night. But it was one of those "equipment fail" dreams. In this case there was a voice-over option that audibly announced any preset or scene change, and I couldn't figure out how to turn it off :eek:
Name a scene "trans-europe express" and keep repeatedly selecting it....

Thanks,
SamL

Man, that’s a lot of work! I think if anything, I’d copy some effects settings over if they’re really integral, but when it comes to the amp tones, I’d probably start fresh and at most, keep the IR’s. There’s been so many changes since the II I’d have to imagine you’ll be tweaking the presets to get them to a satisfactory state. Good luck with all that!

Man, that’s a lot of work! I think if anything, I’d copy some effects settings over if they’re really integral, but when it comes to the amp tones, I’d probably start fresh and at most, keep the IR’s. There’s been so many changes since the II I’d have to imagine you’ll be tweaking the presets to get them to a satisfactory state. Good luck with all that!
Thanks, man.
Is it possible the latest update did away with the ability to use FracTool? I have noticed that on FM9 Edit there have been a lot of changes.
I.E seems to be much less perimeter options. It looks like what I am use to doing on AxeEdit (for Axe2), has changed a lot.
I do not see mic options for the cabs anymore. Maybe I am just missing it...? Also, Many of the amp perimeter options have changed.
Not sure how FracTool could tweak options that no longer exist, or I am just not seeing some of the things that use to exist...

Also, on the blocks - In and Out chain, the Gates are no longer built into the signal path/chain.
With all of the changes I am seeing, Im not sure it would work anyway.
How can I use a preset that uses mics that no longer seem to be available in the cab perimeter.

Its a lot of work, but thankfully when its done it'll stay mostly the same. Maybe the random tweak here and there.

I appreciate the advice and comments!!

#love & #respect Fractal Fam

It's really mostly useful to recreate the "structure" ("grid layout" and signal flow) of your presets.

You will almost certainly need to adjust many of the block settings for the various blocks.

Also, I think I would personally just do Axe Fx II to Axe Fx III with FracTool and then just import those presets into the FM9 with the editor.

No real point of using FracTool for that part, I think.
Yeah, I can absolutely see that. It is a snapshot of the old Axe2 presets used. Definitely worth having. It reminded me of the amps and FX I used for the preset. Also showing how I had it setup.

Something I have noticed is that a lot of things have changed in the new update, or maybe even before IDK
I have noticed many of the options are gone, renamed or just different.

I don't think FracTool could anticipate the different options as they relate to shaping the tone of the original presets.
Really not a big deal.
Mostly just a little more time consuming.
I will still give it a go and see what it does when I get back home.

Thanks again!

Sam L

Probably has something to do with watching Leon's recent video just before going to bed.

I just read of someone's first gig with their FM9, and how quick their setup was, and right then I remembered having a dream wherein someone had put on a song, oh I remember, it was Fleetwood Mac's The Chain (this was probably from watching a video of a guy playing the solo for his disbelieving gf! haha), and he had it hooked up and ready by the time the solo came in. And I don't own one!

#Too much time on the internet.

Beware what you watch before going to bed. These images get embedded into your libido 🧐

1665538401183.png

Was still cool to be able to change mics tho. That was something I did a lot of with Axe2.
Will be missed.
You might not miss it as much as you think. With 2000+ factory cabs to choose from, captured with different microphones, you still get a wide choice of mics. And they're more accurate. The old mic selection feature is really just an EQ you place on top of the cab.

I’ll be dreaming for a while. Just got (back) on the wait list in August. I’ll probably get the new FM18. :D

I have had my Fm9 about 3 days now and this is a post regarding differences between Axe2 and the new FM9/Axe3 sounds and feel.

Right out of the box there are so many presets that inspire creativity.

The only negative I could find was this:
In many videos and just in general people make it seem as tho you can export presets.
This is false.
FracTool can help you see the setting/perimeters of an old preset but it will NOT allow you to seamlessly move old presets over - no problem.

This was a little heartbreaking for me but not a big deal overall.
Just means you’re going to have to spend some time here.

That’s it! No other disappointments.

The actual sound is beyond perfect. It also reacts (signal) with feedback like a real amp. I had trouble getting that using “modern” gates with the Axe2 but this is now a non-issue.

The power increase - tho I said before wouldn’t matter , does make a small difference in that - I can use Ultra Res across all presets no matter how complex they are.

The new FX are unique and lend even more inspiration. Especially the moog style midi sounds. Pairing them with the following envolope filer had me sitting and tweaking little things for hours.
I even now can’t wait to get home to start on some more presets.
It’s been beyond fun.

The sounds are so crisp and clean. The foot switches are more intuitive than any modeler I’ve ever used.
It eats the Quad Cortex for lunch.
Not trying to start a big argument there. This is my personal opinion.
I think QC is a half baked idea that never got off the ground which is why I sold it.

As for recording, I literally don’t have to change much, if anything to make the presets sit in a mix.
It’s my wildest dreams come true,

If you have been on the fence, you should take a look.
It was worth waiting for a year.
My only regret was not buying an Axe3 to replace the Axe2 and using the FM9 for ALL my gigging.
It’s super portable and how about this… it uses an amp style power supply.
Not a ridiculous wall wart/trash power supply that feels like something an engineer found lying around a warehouse.

It’s a concept that made it to the end without taking ANY shortcuts.
Best piece of gear I’ve ever purchased to date.

Big thank you to @FractalAudio

Sam L
I approve this message.....

Back
Top Bottom