I'm doing some IR EQ matching!

Umm... guys... I found a way to create perfect images from just the guitar tracks. Like... perfect. These are so accurate I could get paid for these.... should I start a business? :D Or do you guys want me to share a few and if they pass your quality test I'm getting my money $$$? :lol:

Clark Kent said:
That's true but when you're comparing tones that are compressed and un-compressed and matching those EQs then there's a slight problem
Actually, there's a major problem, and this goes to the futility of trying to use IRs to capture "tones." Much of what you're hearing cannot be reproduced with an IR.

Clark Kent said:
Umm... guys... I found a way to create perfect images from just the guitar tracks. Like... perfect. These are so accurate I could get paid for these.... should I start a business? :D Or do you guys want me to share a few and if they pass your quality test I'm getting my money $$$? :lol:

As long as you remember the guys who helped you get the clips in the first place :lol:

Jay Mitchell said:
Actually, there's a major problem, and this goes to the futility of trying to use IRs to capture "tones." Much of what you're hearing cannot be reproduced with an IR.

What are you trying to say Jay? Is this a fancy way to say that not all tone is in the IR. Well that's no news. :) Still people buy IRs like Redwirez f.ex. and my business plan is half a joke. Still...

Any chance you could do a double tracked, in the mix youtube vid of your new super-duper exact sounding ir's? I'd love to hear some!

Clark Kent said:
Isn't it enough that I'm sharing them for free soon?
Corollary to Murphy's Law: do someone a favor, and it will become your job.

FWIW, it only gets worse. This is one of the main reasons I no longer share my IRs.

Jay Mitchell said:
[quote="Clark Kent":2vyturmn]Isn't it enough that I'm sharing them for free soon?
Corollary to Murphy's Law: do someone a favor, and it will become your job.

FWIW, it only gets worse. This is one of the main reasons I no longer share my IRs.[/quote:2vyturmn]

Sad, but true. Same experience here. I call it, "show me... convince me" syndrome.

Nothing more than a comment, not a summary judgment, but it's accurate.

Well that sure is a safe way to make me stop sharing my stuff! No offence, but did you ever think of how much time and effort I've already taken on these and it's free for you guys. Some people do stuff like this and make a living out of it by selling it. So please show some respect. :)

However if you're having doubts that my work isn't accurate enough then check out this Linkin Park IR I did: http://www.mediafire.com/?turi7zpatuirii7

I didn't add lowcut to the break guitars just to show you guys that it's not the original guitar tracks. :lol:

These IR's will give you those tones but you sure have to tweak them a bit.

If... people show interest and respect I'm releasing some top notch IR's. Right now these are scooped compared to the originals...

Clark Kent said:
Still people buy IRs like Redwirez
Correct. Those IRs are taken from known cabinets under well-disclosed conditions. In Axe-Fx form (1024 samples), they represent the behavior of two specific components in the signal chain: the cab and the recording mic. Fabricated IRs, OTOH, represent an unknown part of an unknown signal chain.

Do you have the time to do "Careful What You Wish For" from Testament's "The Gathering" album? There are a couple parts with just the left guitar playing and I think that would be perfect for trying to make a custom impulse response. According to internet sites they used guitars with EMG81 pickups, the amplifiers were Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier, and the microphone was a Shure Beta 57. If you need just the left guitar sound I can send it to you.

Oh BTW, something isn't right with the WAV impulse files. Some of them sound like they have delay or reverb. The axefx files sound fine.

Jay Mitchell said:
[quote="Clark Kent":3smdxoof]Still people buy IRs like Redwirez
Correct. Those IRs are taken from known cabinets under well-disclosed conditions. In Axe-Fx form (1024 samples), they represent the behavior of two specific components in the signal chain: the cab and the recording mic. Fabricated IRs, OTOH, represent an unknown part of an unknown signal chain.[/quote:3smdxoof]

When it works it's ok.

SimonSez said:
Do you have the time to do "Careful What You Wish For" from Testament's "The Gathering" album? There are a couple parts with just the left guitar playing and I think that would be perfect for trying to make a custom impulse response. According to internet sites they used guitars with EMG81 pickups, the amplifiers were Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier, and the microphone was a Shure Beta 57. If you need just the left guitar sound I can send it to you.

Sure man! Please upload the track so I'll make that IR!

SimonSez said:
Oh BTW, something isn't right with the WAV impulse files. Some of them sound like they have delay or reverb. The axefx files sound fine.

Hmm... that's weird considering that I made the Axe-Fx files from the WAV files.

Much kudos to Clark Kent. I never considered eq matching or even thought about how it might apply to ir's. It prompted me to do some experimenting. I down loaded the Vh "aint talkin' bout love" track that yek provided and did an eq match with ozone, (filter size = 16384), to provide a target. For the source I used a VH preset I found on the axe exchange. I reset the brown amp sim and kept the reverb, delay, ect. This provided my source. I set matching to 100% and smoothing to 0% and got an almost perfect spectrum match. All though I realize this method doesn't acount for every element of the sound, it does get you really, really close. I am now trying to create an ir with voxengo deconvolver. I have had some success (first try) with a wav ir for Free's "Alright Now"; ...it still needs some work. One interestiing thing is that with this method my sc texas specials are sounding like a humbucker. If you want to near perfectly match a particular guitar tone, this method seems to get you there quick and easy. I am thinking about a midi controllable convolution processor to put in my rack; or a really good matching eq. Do they make such a thing?

guitarmike said:
Much kudos to Clark Kent. I never considered eq matching or even thought about how it might apply to ir's. It prompted me to do some experimenting. I down loaded the Vh "aint talkin' bout love" track that yek provided and did an eq match with ozone, (filter size = 16384), to provide a target. For the source I used a VH preset I found on the axe exchange. I reset the brown amp sim and kept the reverb, delay, ect. This provided my source. I set matching to 100% and smoothing to 0% and got an almost perfect spectrum match. All though I realize this method doesn't acount for every element of the sound, it does get you really, really close. I am now trying to create an ir with voxengo deconvolver. I have had some success (first try) with a wav ir for Free's "Alright Now"; ...it still needs some work. One interestiing thing is that with this method my sc texas specials are sounding like a humbucker. If you want to near perfectly match a particular guitar tone, this method seems to get you there quick and easy. I am thinking about a midi controllable convolution processor to put in my rack; or a really good matching eq. Do they make such a thing?

Did you play along with the original riff for the source?

Thanks,
Richard

Back
Top Bottom