I'm doing some IR EQ matching!

Clark Kent said:
That's not the way I'm doing it though. I'm using two eq matching programs (ozone and firium) and layering it on pink or white noise. I'm still trying to get better results before I'll upload stuff but I'm getting really close... and I promise.. no drawing.

If any of you are interested here are some famous guitar track samples: http://www.mediafire.com/?v0at6yqlfdmu9ev

Clips sound great :)

Note - I'm not diminishing the work and you are indeed doing it using different methods, I was only trying to grasp what you were pursuing here.

I applaud your efforts!

I'm losing my f***ing mind!!!! I can't find a flat click or pop sound anywhere on the internet for my IRs. Does any of you have one? GEEEEZ!!! :evil:

Clark Kent said:
I'm losing my f***ing mind!!!! I can't find a flat click or pop sound anywhere on the internet for my IRs. Does any of you have one? GEEEEZ!!! :evil:

If you are in a DAW like reaper, you can take any arbitrary sound. Zoom in all the way until you see samples only. Cut all other samples but one. Then normalize. And you'll have a Kronecker delta.

AlbertA said:
Clark Kent said:

If you are in a DAW like reaper, you can take any arbitrary sound. Zoom in all the way until you see samples only. Cut all other samples but one. Then normalize. And you'll have a Kronecker delta.

Thanks mate! But I did it another way and I'm loving the results! Here's the first package and there's a lot more to come! This is just the beginning.

Enter Sandman is Metallica ofcourse.
Foo Fighters is from Learning to Fly
Iron Maiden is from... I don't know... they always have the same tone so :lol:
Linkin Park is from One Step Closer
Panic Attack is Dream Theater's Octavarium tone
RHCP is Red Hot Chili Peppers - Dani California tone
Shattered Fortress is Dream Theater's BCASL tone

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Clark Kent Matched IRs.rar
    31.1 KB · Views: 97
Be sure to have GLOBAL EQ 63hz at -12dB. Some IRs are lacking a low cut filter like f.ex. the Dream Theater IR's. I actually made a few more. 3 Chevelle IR's, Incubus, Limp Bizkit, 2 Killswitch Engage IR's... list goes on and on and on. :D But before I release any more I want to see how you guys like these IR's.

If you're not getting the tone similar then try having your AMP block EQ flat. So everything at noon. I tested them with Recto New and thumbs up for myself! :twisted:

BTW I never understood any lyrics by Disturbed and now I know why... the guy isn't saying anything half the time: http://www.mediafire.com/?6tm26kvp9t4vwrt :lol:

Clark first of all great work! I am particularly interested in a John Petrucci tone. The question i have is for example if i were to use the Mark IV sim on the Axe fx with the Shattered Forest IR, that should get me close to the sound for that song? or are you suggesting it's closest with the Recto New?

I used your previous petrucci solo album matched tones with mark iv, mark iic+ sims and it sounded awesome!

thanks again for your dedication, as this is definitely getting me close to the sound i am after!

I've also done this EQ matching but I do it a bit differently:

1. First I'll try to find out what gear the guitarist whos sound I'm trying to get close to used in the studio. This works as starting point.
2. Next I'll need the original isolated guitar track for the match eq.
3. Then I record myself playing the same riff and compare what kind of eq'ing I would need to get closer to the original.
4. I'll try changing cab and mic, and record myself again to see if I'm getting closer to the original.
5. I'll try changing amp controls, maybe even amp if needed, and record myself again to see if I'm closer to the original and what kind of further eq'ing I should still do
6. At this point I'll add PEQ to the signal chain after cab and fine tune what ever I'm still missing

That's it. This may not get you there all the way but imho it gets you close enough and you don't need to use user IR slot :) Also, while I'm recording the target riff (original) I'll try to monitor visually how dynamic it is. When I record my self I'll try to see if my signal chain needs compression to get dynamics about to the same level. Like mentioned before, matching EQ only gives you the tone but you still need to figure out dynamics, the feel, drive, etc. IMHO those are equally important as the tone. All matched IRs that I've tried (haven't tried the one in this thread) first sound great but when actually playing with them longer I get bored really quickly because they don't feel right (for me).

floydian80 said:
Clark first of all great work! I am particularly interested in a John Petrucci tone. The question i have is for example if i were to use the Mark IV sim on the Axe fx with the Shattered Forest IR, that should get me close to the sound for that song? or are you suggesting it's closest with the Recto New?

I used your previous petrucci solo album matched tones with mark iv, mark iic+ sims and it sounded awesome!

thanks again for your dedication, as this is definitely getting me close to the sound i am after!

Sure you can use any amp you want. If you use Mesa Mark series then you have to forget about "everything at noon" and you also need to have that PEQ between the amp and cab. I actually measured the frequency on the shattered fortress tracks and you can get really close with just one tiny tweak with your PEQ: close to 700hz-750hz Q 0.707 and -3-6dB. This depends on the amp settings but f.ex. on a Mark IV you should have bass really low and mids also quite low. The IR has those Petrucci characteristics and if it gets a somewhat flat signal it's easy to get it working but as we all know the Mark series is not flat so you have to tweak. Anyways... shouldn't that hard to tweak. :)

knoll said:
I've also done this EQ matching but I do it a bit differently:

1. First I'll try to find out what gear the guitarist whos sound I'm trying to get close to used in the studio. This works as starting point.
2. Next I'll need the original isolated guitar track for the match eq.
3. Then I record myself playing the same riff and compare what kind of eq'ing I would need to get closer to the original.
4. I'll try changing cab and mic, and record myself again to see if I'm getting closer to the original.
5. I'll try changing amp controls, maybe even amp if needed, and record myself again to see if I'm closer to the original and what kind of further eq'ing I should still do
6. At this point I'll add PEQ to the signal chain after cab and fine tune what ever I'm still missing

That's it. This may not get you there all the way but imho it gets you close enough and you don't need to use user IR slot :) Also, while I'm recording the target riff (original) I'll try to monitor visually how dynamic it is. When I record my self I'll try to see if my signal chain needs compression to get dynamics about to the same level. Like mentioned before, matching EQ only gives you the tone but you still need to figure out dynamics, the feel, drive, etc. IMHO those are equally important as the tone. All matched IRs that I've tried (haven't tried the one in this thread) first sound great but when actually playing with them longer I get bored really quickly because they don't feel right (for me).

Well I guess that's the problem in these since studio guitar is not a feel thing. It's EQ'd and compressed in weird ways so that it sits in a particular mix. However... if you're recording material you can use matched EQs and they might sit perfectly in a mix right away. I'm not sure about that feel-thing in my IR's. I guess it'll take some time but right now it seems great.

The way I do this is way way way easier and you could easily do this by yourself. I'm using a free program called Voxengo CurveEQ and I let it measure the guitar track I'm trying to get. Then I have a somewhat flat IR that I'm playing through with a flat amp. Then I just press match in CurveEQ and it matches an EQ with the guitar track I'm trying to get. I add this EQ on top of the flat IR I'm running through and make an impulse out of it and for some reason it just magically works. Okay I made it sound a bit easier than it really is but I had to do some calculations before I could start this process. I'm just saying that right now it's reaaaaally easy for me to make these IRs... now that I've done the calculations. :D

Hey Clark. I'd love to try your IR's, but alas, I don't have an AxeFx anymore. I would like to try them in my DAW though. Any chance of you uploading the .wav files?

Thanks,

Mark

http://www.mediafire.com/?59v33ej264i1z2t

And there's some Dream Theater testing. BARE IN MIND that I only tweaked for like a minute per patch. So my conclusion is that these do work well with other settings too. The first clip is Recto New from Octavarium Panic Attack and the second clip is Mark IIC+ from BC&SL Shattered Fortress. A/B them please. :) Might not be perfect but remember that these are not doubled unlike the originals.

markus said:
Hey Clark. I'd love to try your IR's, but alas, I don't have an AxeFx anymore. I would like to try them in my DAW though. Any chance of you uploading the .wav files?

Thanks,

Mark

Sure man... I'm doing a few more and then I'll upload them all in here.

Clark Kent said:
markus said:

Thanks,

Mark

Sure man... I'm doing a few more and then I'll upload them all in here.

Sweet! Looking forward to it :)

Mark

knoll said:
All matched IRs that I've tried (haven't tried the one in this thread) first sound great but when actually playing with them longer I get bored really quickly because they don't feel right (for me).

That's because the EQ matched IR's are from final mixes that have been EQed/compressed that take out the dynamics you'd normally feel when playing a patch designed for playing live. These are great for recording purposes where you're trying to reach a similar "finished" tone from another artist recording. I'm sure the initial sound will get your juices flowing becuase you hear the same tone from the album but it will feel sterile after playing through them after a while because the dynamics have been "smoothed" out.

Clark Kent said:
http://www.mediafire.com/?59v33ej264i1z2t

And there's some Dream Theater testing. Might not be perfect but remember that these are not doubled unlike the originals.

Those sound VERY close, Clark. Like you said, if you doubled these in a recording and fit them in a mix, I think these would sound great.

Quality Collection RELEASED! :lol:

It's got both SYX and WAV files inside so everyone can use them. If you're wondering what FISH DOLL IR is then it's actually an IR from my old 4x12 V30 cabinet and that's the cabinet I'm matching the EQs with. So basically all of these IRs are a cabinet I mic'ed but they've been EQ'd to sound 95% the same as the tones on the record. And yeah... Paramore <3!

Enjoy and please post clips so I know it works for you too. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• Clark Kent Matched IR Quality Collection.rar
    118.8 KB · Views: 115
Axisman5150 said:
That's because the EQ matched IR's are from final mixes that have been EQed/compressed that take out the dynamics you'd normally feel when playing a patch designed for playing live.
Impulse responses cannot produce compression, distortion, or any other nonlinear behavior. They do not affect dynamics in any way: when you play louder, the impulse response will produce a louder signal in direct proportion to the changes in your playing. If an impulse response sounds "smooth," it is strictly due to linear behavior, because that is all an impulse response contains.

That's true but when you're comparing tones that are compressed and un-compressed and matching those EQs then there's a slight problem like f.ex. if they used a multibandcompressor to cut the low end on guitar like many engineers do. Then you match your EQ settings with that compressed EQ and you end up having a more dynamic low end. So... it's not 100% the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom