I'm doing some IR EQ matching!

Did you play along with the original riff for the source?

Yes...and compared my spectrum to the captured spectrum; they were virtually identical. However, I have yet to translate this into an ir suitable for the axe yet. I have only tried once...

It must be kept in mind that there are other factors that contribute to the sound; the ir I generate will only work with the patch it was designed for and that patch must contain correct nonlinear information. In addition, the dynamics - including distortion characteristics must also be correct. This may be obvious to some...but not so obvious to others. The ir or eq matching only represents the correct tonal balance.

Bottem line for me; it is an interesting study to see the tonal spectrum of a professionally produced (and revered?) guitar signal...

knoll said:
I've also done this EQ matching but I do it a bit differently:

1. First I'll try to find out what gear the guitarist whos sound I'm trying to get close to used in the studio. This works as starting point.
2. Next I'll need the original isolated guitar track for the match eq.
3. Then I record myself playing the same riff and compare what kind of eq'ing I would need to get closer to the original.
4. I'll try changing cab and mic, and record myself again to see if I'm getting closer to the original.
5. I'll try changing amp controls, maybe even amp if needed, and record myself again to see if I'm closer to the original and what kind of further eq'ing I should still do
6. At this point I'll add PEQ to the signal chain after cab and fine tune what ever I'm still missing

That's it. This may not get you there all the way but imho it gets you close enough and you don't need to use user IR slot :) Also, while I'm recording the target riff (original) I'll try to monitor visually how dynamic it is. When I record my self I'll try to see if my signal chain needs compression to get dynamics about to the same level. Like mentioned before, matching EQ only gives you the tone but you still need to figure out dynamics, the feel, drive, etc. IMHO those are equally important as the tone. All matched IRs that I've tried (haven't tried the one in this thread) first sound great but when actually playing with them longer I get bored really quickly because they don't feel right (for me).

wondering if you could put the studio tone into the DAW mono , record a dry guitar track with close gear (guitar , PU's) mono, loop the recording, then reamp it back into the axe-fx (spdif?) then tweaking it in real time

saves re-recording and its all done live

hey clark ,

Is your process making the impulse almost automated? or is it still a lengthy process
guess its a trade secret :)

does anyone know if the use your illusion songs ended up on guitar hero/rock band and the raw tracks are accessable?

It's a bit more complicated. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm not planning to do any business with this but still it's too complicated to explain. I'll try doing the one you sent me....

If you had a relatively flat IR, I was wondering if you could EQ match the IR's themselves vs. EQ matching the recordings?

I guess that would show us how accurate this thing really is. I've made IR's out of stock cabs so I might aswell play one riff with and without the cab sim and see if the end result is anywhere near the real thing. :)

Back
Top Bottom