I'm considering the purchase of an Axe II....

To the OP, have you pulled the trigger on the Axe-II yet??

(apologies, didn't feel like reading through all the posts)

Good one Rodz :). Actually, we do the spectrum of gospel music (which encompasses all styles), not just P&W. Additionally, I don't always stick to the original composer's script. I like to make a song "mine" and I can definitely see where some "synth stuff (sax, strings, etc.)" would be very interesting.

Not so fast Ventura...I have not as of yet.

I'm tempted to say, "Get the Axe," but what you're describing as far as what you want/need, just get a POG pedal for basic synth tones, or if you're wanting to play other simulated instruments on your guitar guitar modeling, etc, then yeah, buy the GR55- smaller, cheaper, tiny learning curve, and no need for separate floor controller. That's your buck right there.

Axe Fx 2 is for the guy who has already been through all the stages of guitarist life, from analog to digital to tube + million pedals and back, and still dissatisfied and disillusioned with it all, for various reasons (weight, cost, maintainence, crappy tone, etc).

It is the Cuban of cigars, the 75-year-old glorious red wine, 30-year-old scotch whiskey, the $2200 block of aged cheese, the 14-hour mesquite-smoked brisket, the H&K of firearms, the McClaren F1 made of gold titanium alloy, the Colossus of Clout, the Sultan of Swat, the King of Crash.....the great bambino!

I agree, it sounds like you might get more from the GR-55. If you already like your clean amp and guitar sounds then the GR-55 adds all the synth sounds. I wouldn't expect to play piano sounds all that much though. The GR-55 is a great. The guitar amp sounds and effects somewhat suck though. Compared to the axe anyways. Buy a GR-55 used and if you hate it sell it :) I sold mine for 100 bucks more than I paid for it.

After further review and research, I think I'm tilting toward the Axe II.

My original consideration was between the GR-55 and the Axe II. Since then I've spent some time on the Roland forums and I came away favoring the VG-99 over the GR-55; after even further review, I came away favoring the AXE II.

The next portion of my research now revolves around speakers. I play live via my own amplification (never via house systems, etc.), so I'm interested in a good source/site to get info on active vs passive cabs, Atomic vs. Matrix, etc. A general how to, in terms of hooking up and playing the Axe through cabs.

You guys have been extremely helpful. Please let me know.

Thx.

The next portion of my research now revolves around speakers. I play live via my own amplification (never via house systems, etc.), so I'm interested in a good source/site to get info on active vs passive cabs, Atomic vs. Matrix, etc. A general how to, in terms of hooking up and playing the Axe through cabs.
This is the easy part :D
Atomic Amplifiers - Products

If it's live projection you're aiming for, a couple active cabs will certainly do the trick. Conversely, a couple active wedges can be used as both a monitor AND a backline depending on how you set them up.

Thanks Ventura.

Are Atomic and Matrix the only options? Matrix cabs are made in Britain. Where are Atomic cabs made?

Thanks Ventura.

Are Atomic and Matrix the only options? Matrix cabs are made in Britain. Where are Atomic cabs made?

There is a multitude of choices.

Google "active monitor" or "active wedge/speaker/PA" etc. There are too many choices!

Cheers,
Mo.

At 260w - 500w, is it safe to conclude that there is never any breakup with these cabs....headroom for miles?

At 260w - 500w, is it safe to conclude that there is never any breakup with these cabs....headroom for miles?

I wouldn't go that far! :)
Don't ever assume that two items with the same listed wattage will be identical in performance or headroom.

It's horses for courses, as with everything.

Best to audition them for yourself, if you are able.

Cheers,
Mo.

Thanks Mo.

I'd like a 2X12 option, and Xitone offers one. However, a review states that they may not be loud enough to keep up with a loud drummer.

I need something that will keep up, not only with a loud drummer, but also with a 200+ voice choir.

Any thoughts?

I'm tempted to say, "Get the Axe," but what you're describing as far as what you want/need, just get a POG pedal for basic synth tones, or if you're wanting to play other simulated instruments on your guitar guitar modeling, etc, then yeah, buy the GR55- smaller, cheaper, tiny learning curve, and no need for separate floor controller. That's your buck right there.

Axe Fx 2 is for the guy who has already been through all the stages of guitarist life, from analog to digital to tube + million pedals and back, and still dissatisfied and disillusioned with it all, for various reasons (weight, cost, maintainence, crappy tone, etc).

It is the Cuban of cigars, the 75-year-old glorious red wine, 30-year-old scotch whiskey, the $2200 block of aged cheese, the 14-hour mesquite-smoked brisket, the H&K of firearms, the McClaren F1 made of gold titanium alloy, the Colossus of Clout, the Sultan of Swat, the King of Crash.....the great bambino!

Lets try this again:

This made me smile :)

Back
Top Bottom