I'm Considering getting an AX*. Thoughts?

csassakb

Inspired
All

I have the Fractal AXE FX 2.

Since I still need to get a midi pedal and cabinet to use it live, I thought maybe I will get the AX8 and run it through a powered cabinet like Atomic or something

My question is, putting aside the differences I can find in the manual, what are the pros and cons between the AX8 and AXE FX2?

Do the amp models in AX8 sound as good?
Does the AX8 have just as many effects as the AXE FX?
How is the user friendliness?? Creating patches, moving patches, etc etc

I already know the AX8 more convenient to carry around, so no need to cover that
I also know you cannot combine two amps

I would appreciate your feedback

Curt

All

I have the Fractal AXE FX 2.

Since I still need to get a midi pedal and cabinet to use it live, I thought maybe I will get the AX8 and run it through a powered cabinet like Atomic or something

My question is, putting aside the differences I can find in the manual, what are the pros and cons between the AX8 and AXE FX2?

Do the amp models in AX8 sound as good?
Does the AX8 have just as many effects as the AXE FX?
How is the user friendliness?? Creating patches, moving patches, etc etc

I already know the AX8 more convenient to carry around, so no need to cover that
I also know you cannot combine two amps

I would appreciate your feedback

Curt
You may check this:
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=AX8_versus_Axe-Fx_II_XL+

Same amps. It uses Quantum. If you rely heavily on dual amp sounds, you're probably better off without.

Sonically the AX8 sounds the same as the Axe II. The features are well documented in terms of what's available in each unit. Using the editor the experience is the same for patch editing. The AX8 is easier to configure footswitch settings since it is integrated. With the Axe II and a MIDI controller you have two devices to edit. Editing on the AX8 itself is the same pattern as the Axe II but the editing process is a bit more cumbersome on the AX8.

Sonically the AX8 sounds the same as the Axe II. The features are well documented in terms of what's available in each unit. Using the editor the experience is the same for patch editing. The AX8 is easier to configure footswitch settings since it is integrated. With the Axe II and a MIDI controller you have two devices to edit. Editing on the AX8 itself is the same pattern as the Axe II but the editing process is a bit more cumbersome on the AX8.
I really like the setup for the footswitches. Very easy using AX8 edit.

Yes, editing on the AX8 is much easier since you can assign the footswitchs in the software. As long as you can work within the CPU limitations of the AX8 it will be perfect. If you rely on lots of lush reverbs or want dual amps then you should probably save up a bit more for the Axe FX II.

Many are complaining about latency in the scene switching with x-y changes. this does not bother me at all but it is not instant. reverb use is very taxing on the AX-8. you can run a lot in any preset if you don't mind normal quality reverb with the density turn way down. For me it is the perfect giging rig. the axe fx xl will now sit at home.

Back
Top Bottom