I'm confused about modeling a JMP-1

kavoo

Inspired
Before I've bought an Axe-Fx I've owned a Marshall rack rig (JMP-1 + 9100 + 1936 cab with G12T-75 speakers). Right now with my Axe I've tried to replicate all the settings I've used to get the Maiden tones:

OD1 with Bass Shift on
Volume 15 (75%)
Gain 20 (full)
Bass 6 (full)
Middle 6 (full)
Treble 6 (full)
Presence 2 (about 60%)

I was using only those parameters (except Volume, 'cause I don't know which parameter in Axe-Fx model represents this setting), without modifying anything else. Tried those settings in Axe-Fx:

JMPre-1 OD1 BS with 4x12 1960B T75 (RW) cab
Input Drive 10 (full)
Bass 10 (full)
Middle 10 (full)
Treble 10 (full)
Presence 6 (60%)
with various Master Volume settings.

To be honest I wasn't able to get close to the tone I remember from my old rack rig. Awfully muddy, even with MV set low (2 to 4). Those analog settings gave me instant great Maiden tone with my old rack rig, but with their digital equivalents in Axe-Fx I've landed in the deep swamp so to speak. All of this with exactly same guitar with same pickups (the only difference - recently installed stainless frets instead of original nickel ones).

What am I doing wrong? What should I take into account in Axe-Fx model to reproduce my old analog settings correct and get the same tone? I'm looking for direct correlation between an Axe-Fx model of the JMP-1 and it's reference gear.

Of course I have managed to recreate all the Maiden tones I wanted with JMPre-1 and lots of advanced tweaking/tonematching (with far better results than with rack rig) and I'm totally delighted with them, so it's not about whining and complaining... just looking for understanding how the things work in Axe-Fx in case of direct translation from analog gear to the digital model. All the more that I've seen a number of clips on YT comparing the tones of various amps (Mesa for example) to their respective Axe-Fx models with exactly same settings and they sounded indistinguishable :rolleyes:

You may try lowering the BMT settings:

Cliff's comments: "The JMP-1 tone controls have more range than the actual preamp. The preamp has about +/- 8 dB for each tone control while the model has the standard +/- 12 dB."

Hi,
First of all : you remember a tone coming from a 4x12 Cab.....now with the Axe you hear FRFR ....whole different ballgame ;)

- Do you have any recordings of your old setup ? That you could listen through your home setup and try to get that sound with the Axe...should be a piece of cake.

- if no recordings of your old setup -> get some recorded sounds of your heroes / Maiden and try to replicate those sounds through the same system you listen the original recordings to.

Have fun,
:)

Cliff's comments: "The JMP-1 tone controls have more range than the actual preamp. The preamp has about +/- 8 dB for each tone control while the model has the standard +/- 12 dB."
So that would mean that to replicate the behaviour of the tone controls in JMP-1 (from -6 to +6) I should operate between 3.33 and 6.66 in JMPre-1 and divide it by 12 steps (as in JMP-1)? Is my math correct?

First of all : you remember a tone coming from a 4x12 Cab.....now with the Axe you hear FRFR ....whole different ballgame ;)
Point taken... haven't taken it into account :rolleyes:

So that would mean that to replicate the behaviour of the tone controls in JMP-1 (from -6 to +6) I should operate between 3.33 and 6.66 in JMPre-1 and divide it by 12 steps (as in JMP-1)? Is my math correct?

Still trust your ears instead of numbers....;)

I do :) Like I said - I have a few Maiden presets representing tones from various albums made by ear, so it's not about making them from scratch. I'm just curious how the JMPre-1 model works related to the reference preamp to have some sort of starting point based on actual "analog" settings :)

BTW - I still don't know which control in JMPre-1 model represents Volume of the JMP-1... any clues? :rolleyes:

I may be wrong, but it doesn't look that way... as far as I remember Volume control in JMP-1 affects the tone (in terms of gain), the Output Level in amp block in Axe-Fx does not, just makes things louder and could be understood as the Output Level knob on the front of the actual JMP-1 :rolleyes:

I may be wrong, but it doesn't look that way... as far as I remember Volume control in JMP-1 affects the tone (in terms of gain), the Output Level in amp block in Axe-Fx does not, just makes things louder and could be understood as the Output Level knob on the front of the actual JMP-1 :rolleyes:

OK, in that case try the Input Trim : that will give you more gain BUT not volume.....or else just the Input Drive ?
You can even go further and add a Volume Block in front of your JMP Pre.....nice way to boost your Gain :)

JMP-1 HANDBOOK

JMP-1 Front Panel Features
3. Output Level Control
Controls the volume level from the master left and right
outputs (Item 25).
8. Volume Key
Push this key to adjust the patch volume level between 0
and 20. The volume key LED will illuminate to indicate
that the volume parameter has been selected. The data
display will show the current value. The value can then
be adjusted using the rotary data entry control (7).

nb - the "new" JMP-1 models have much greater range in their BMT knobs than the original rack unit. my advice would be to use the old "brit pre" model, which has tapers much more similar to the original unit. your settings should get you much closer. +6 will be full up on the model. do the math to work out other values.
use "depth" to simulate the bass shift

I also played a JMP-1 for a number of years through a 9100 and V30's , kinda the same results as OP . Setting I used aren't happening! The JMP-1 has active +/- eq on bass mid treble, maybe presence ( can't remember for sure about presence) , I wonder if active eq should be selected in adv parameters, or if that's taken into account by default tone stack?

Based on the information that the tone controls of the original JMP-1 cover a range from -8dB to +8dB while the ones of the JMPre-1 model range from -12dB to +12dB, the following formula should convert tone control values from the JMP-1 directly into values for the JMPre-1 model:

a = value for Axe-Fx II
j = value from JMP-1

a = 5/12 x (4/3 x j + 12)

So the lowest and highest values of -6 respectively +6 in the JMP-1 would correlate to 1.67 respectively 8.33. A value (taken from the original post) of 2 for Presence in the JMP-1 would be 6.11 in the JMPre-1 model.

Did not have the chance to test if this leads to more similar sounds, though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom