I'm concerned that updates are getting a bit out of control

There have been several threads around here with people getting all up in Cliff's kool-aid and stirring things up. It's getting pretty nutty in some threads. I had to sell my AFII earlier this year, but I think I am going to be able to pull of the AX8. It' s really gonna suck to get back to being a regular around here only to find that the forum has been infiltrated with assholes bitching because Cliff isn't doing it like they want. Go to L6 and Kemper...see if it's Burger King over there and you get it your way. Cliff does a damn fine job of giving us AMAZING stuff to play with and he probably listens to the users more than any CEO on the planet...especially in the music biz. Leave him the hell alone and let him do his thing...so far, his thing ain't broke. Quit trying to fix it. I can't figure out if its folks with not enough time on their hands or they're trying to get Cliff to notice how smart they are and give them a job or let them be release testers or something. Regardless, if you think you can do it better...give it a whirl...or shut up and go play your guitar.

I doubt you'll get a lot of support Gazza but don't take it personally. Sure I understand the psychological battle inside all of our heads when something like this happens.

Me #1: Wow a new modeling technology FW I want to see what it's all about!!

Me #2: But damn I've been so happy with the current FW and all my tones are really good right now!

Me #1: But what it they get better?

Me #2: But what if they don't?

Sure I understand this but you have to realize that it's your own problem.

Some people may not realize what "beta" stands for. It's not complete. You get to try something that's not released yet. It may have bugs but by finding them you are a part of making the product better. Once again you are not forced to do so. I just want to make it clear to people that this forum and the active users should all be proud to have been a huge part of guitar tone evolution and giving a big support in developing the Axe-Fx further to this amazing product that it is. It's all about contributing. If you don't want that then stick to the official FW releases.

I doubt you'll get a lot of support Gazza but don't take it personally. Sure I understand the psychological battle inside all of our heads when something like this happens.

Me #2: But damn I've been so happy with the current FW and all my tones are really good right now!

Some people may not realize what "beta" stands for. It's not complete. You get to try something that's not released yet. It may have bugs but by finding them you are a part of making the product better. Once again you are not forced to do so. I just want to make it clear to people that this forum and the active users should all be proud to have been a huge part of guitar tone evolution and giving a big support in developing the Axe-Fx further to this amazing product that it is. It's all about contributing. If you don't want that then stick to the official FW releases.

I agree Mikko, I am proud as hell man, you know that from our Pm's that you and I went back and forth about how Proud I am of my tones and other stuff.... "and they're all from the Ultra and Axe II" So I fully agree:) We should be proud even if people get Butt Hurt from it:)

Best response yet!!!!!

Déjà vu all over again. Pot stirrer. Point is inane. AND it could be said of me, "I don't have to read this..." :sleeping:

Okay lets say they don't. End of the world ? No

If you backed up your Axe before updating, just reinstall the old FW and patches and your right back to where you started.

How much time did it "waste" doing that ? Hour or two ? Most of us probably spend that on online forums each day LOL

I honestly can't count the number of pickups, speakers, fx pedals, amps etc I've researched, bought, waiting for the UPS guy to deliver, and then plugged in and found they didn't work, only to then return them, sell them etc. That honestly is part of the fun of this hobby isn't it ? Getting some new gear and plugging it in for the first time ?

If the Cantrell Wah pedal you ordered didnt sound good on your rig I don't see anyone feeling they wasted time etc, so why is trying a new FW any different ? Its reversible and I personally think fun to check out.

For me its like my best friend saying "Hey, check this out" and then saying "Wait, there's more". How could you not love this.

Or are these frantic developments a knee jerk reaction to the imminent lower cost product releases by other manufacturers (Helix, Amplifire, Yamaha THR100), which are looking likely to be great sounding products?
Not really the same marketplace. Boutique vs. off the shelf. Just my opinion. There is a reason why you can't buy the Axe at Guitar Center.

I, on the other hand, had been considering dropping the AxeFX altogether, and going back to straight into the amp. It's been a couple of years since I've done this, and the AxeFX has kept me interested enough to hang with it. Lately, though, with only 2 or 3 updates a month, I was getting bored, so I was thinking of lugging my heavy amp head & cab rig, instead. This way it took several trips from the house to the car, and then several more from the rehearsal space to the car, then repeat again at the gig space. :ambivalence:

....now this update came out, and I changed my mind..... :lol

Oi! Those forums about Tube Rolling are really getting out of control! They never stop the search for an old stock of rare Mullard vintage tubes rescued from a sunken WWII British submarine. What’s that hype about tube rolling?

But if they bother you, you can just stop visiting those forums. ;)

Last edited:
What a ridiculous post...................Do you really believe what you posted? Many of us have been here a long time and we know better---.

You have basically accused FAS of being incompetent, taking advantage of it's user base and being dishonest by just throwing out FW updates, because of , what? Helix? Spare me.

Last edited:
I think it's awesome FAS let their users play a part in the development process. But we can each choose to participate or not. No other company has responded so well to their customer base. I tend to think of it as FAS saying "here's what we've been working on. See what you think." That's really cool. But we always have the option to skip a FW. I didn't even download 20b because I was waiting to see what the feedback was and then bam! this quantum thing comes out. So I don't have any gigs for a few weeks so I chose to download it and check it out. It's all as simple as that.

The easiest thing is to simply ignore beta FW releases if it bothers you that much.
Just wait for the official release.

The easiest thing is to simply ignore beta FW releases if it bothers you that much.
Just wait for the official release.

Dbun, I agree with you and others that said this...but the accusations about kneejerk, etc, IMHO, are really out of line.

Back
Top Bottom