I'm clueless!

Mavjo

I'm contemplating changing my setup from a halfstack triple rectifier to axe fx II, but I'm a totaly clueless on how to even start. If I'm going for a live rig, how would I do that?

1: You did specify the Axe Fx II. Just in case you're not aware, there is also a floorboard version called the Axe 8 and the new Axe Fx model called the Axe Fx III. Check out the product page on the main site for more info.

2: How do you want to run the Axe FX II?
a: Axe into your Recto Head and Cab.
b: Axe into a power amp and into your Recto or other cab. (Check out Matrix amps)
c: Axe into a FRFR speaker. (Check out Atomic amps, Mission Engineering, Xitone and Friedman)

3: What kind of control do you need?
a: Minimal control. Look into 3rd party mini midi controllers.
b: Max control. Check out Fractal's midi controllers.
c: Real time control. Check out Fractal's Expression pedals as well as Mission Enginering's.

Also check out the Wiki. Tons of useful info there.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Axe-Fx_II_Wiki_Home

I'm contemplating changing my setup from a halfstack triple rectifier to axe fx II, but I'm a totaly clueless on how to even start. If I'm going for a live rig, how would I do that?
Can you give some reasons why you want to change? It will help us help you.

1: You did specify the Axe Fx II. Just in case you're not aware, there is also a floorboard version called the Axe 8 and the new Axe Fx model called the Axe Fx III. Check out the product page on the main site for more info.

2: How do you want to run the Axe FX II?
a: Axe into your Recto Head and Cab.
b: Axe into a power amp and into your Recto or other cab. (Check out Matrix amps)
c: Axe into a FRFR speaker. (Check out Atomic amps, Mission Engineering, Xitone and Friedman)

3: What kind of control do you need?
a: Minimal control. Look into 3rd party mini midi controllers.
b: Max control. Check out Fractal's midi controllers.
c: Real time control. Check out Fractal's Expression pedals as well as Mission Enginering's.

I'm guessing running it with an FRFR speaker would be the easiest from my understading? But then again, I'm really stupid when it comes to this stuff. Ideally I would get rid of my recto top and use a rack instead. Midi controllers are kinda a personal preference of what one wants, so not as important. If I would use the ax fx ii with a matrix power amp, I could still use the same cab?
Thank you for the respons....I have a lot of homework ahead!

Can you give some reasons why you want to change? It will help us help you.
Two reasons why I want to change. One is, I really hate the maintenance of a valve amp. I know it's stupid of me, but thats just the way I am I guess. Second and most important one. I've been having a lot of trouble finding "my sound". Tried a lot of different amps, guitars etc. but no one has come close so far. Thats the main reason I have for changing to an axe fx as my daily "driver". If I want to experiment with some other effects I already have them and if I'm able to find my sound with it, it's kinda motivating to keep doing music!

I'm guessing running it with an FRFR speaker would be the easiest from my understading? But then again, I'm really stupid when it comes to this stuff. Ideally I would get rid of my recto top and use a rack instead. Midi controllers are kinda a personal preference of what one wants, so not as important. If I would use the ax fx ii with a matrix power amp, I could still use the same cab?
Thank you for the respons....I have a lot of homework ahead!

Is FRFR easier? Probably a subjective topic. But to me it is easier.

Yup, if you were to use a power amp you could use your recto cab. Generally speaking, you'd turn off the speaker cab modeling on the Axe. There is another benefit to running a power amp and that is it gives you the option to run a real cab or a passive FRFR.

I dunno, when I used my matrix poweramp with a cab I actually preferred it to have the cab modeling on, as it sounded like crap without. As opposed to running my setup with a Marshall 8008 poweramp where I absolutely had to turn off cab modeling. Your mileage may vary in this regard. Love my Matrix though, if only because its several kilos lighter then my old Marshall. For which my back is very grateful.

One thing to keep in mind though is that the Axe-FX with FRFR speakers will not have the same sound as a standalone guitar cab in a room. Ye olde amp in a room sound that a lot of people are lusting after and for which they often post in disappointment. The Axe-FX models the sound of a miked up guitar cab, basically what you hear on an album or when live through a PA system. And it also takes some time getting used to how the Axe-FX works and how you build your own presets. It took me some time to get the hang of it. So be ready for that.

I dunno, when I used my matrix poweramp with a cab I actually preferred it to have the cab modeling on, as it sounded like crap without. As opposed to running my setup with a Marshall 8008 poweramp where I absolutely had to turn off cab modeling. Your mileage may vary in this regard. Love my Matrix though, if only because its several kilos lighter then my old Marshall. For which my back is very grateful.

One thing to keep in mind though is that the Axe-FX with FRFR speakers will not have the same sound as a standalone guitar cab in a room. Ye olde amp in a room sound that a lot of people are lusting after and for which they often post in disappointment. The Axe-FX models the sound of a miked up guitar cab, basically what you hear on an album or when live through a PA system. And it also takes some time getting used to how the Axe-FX works and how you build your own presets. It took me some time to get the hang of it. So be ready for that.
As I've seen so far on reviews, the learning curve is pretty steep. I expect to run into a lot of trail and errors, but thats to be expected. So a poweramp + the cab would work better then just an FRFR speaker?

Gday Mavjo,
Axe fx (2, 3, or ax 8)->2 active frfr. Done!

Spend as much as you can getting speakers that sound like studio monitors. Take some of your favourite music to the shop and listen critically to the songs through the speakers. Get the ones that sound like you know they should. From there, the presets you get or make will sound as intended, and your feed to foh will amaze the sound guys.
You will kick yourself for waiting!
Oh - and get the Austin buddy presets pack - with that, you can choose the amp you want, and have a reliable base to start from.
A lot of money? Sure is - but you'll have arguably the best setup in the world for guitar.
Thanks
Pauly

As I've seen so far on reviews, the learning curve is pretty steep. I expect to run into a lot of trail and errors, but thats to be expected. So a poweramp + the cab would work better then just an FRFR speaker?
Depends. On who you talk to. ..some folk here swear by FRFR , others dig the familiarity of power amp/cab..you may want to start with your own cab and a Matrix or something similar, and then decide if that works for you... but many of us here think it’s hard to beat a powered CLR or XITONE 1x12 (or preferably, 2 for stereo...)

Get an atomic clr or two if you want to monitor in stereo which I recommend if you like effects. The Axe-Fx has two outputs with separate volume controls so you can send one (either stereo or mono) to FOH and the other to your frfr, cab or what you wish to use (stereo or mono) and control the levels separately.
There's a few basic concepts you have to get a grasp on but I don't think using the axe is hard at all, especially if you have used a multi-processor before. Lots of help here on the forum (and opinions :)).

Get an atomic clr or two if you want to monitor in stereo which I recommend if you like effects. The Axe-Fx has two outputs with separate volume controls so you can send one (either stereo or mono) to FOH and the other to your frfr, cab or what you wish to use (stereo or mono) and control the levels separately.
There's a few basic concepts you have to get a grasp on but I don't think using the axe is hard at all, especially if you have used a multi-processor before. Lots of help here on the forum (and opinions :)).
Yeah loads of help here! I really do appreciate it! Think I've decided on using matrix power amp with my cab. Seems more familiar in a sense. Haven't used a multi effect before, but I can always turn to the forums here again for help! :)

Hi again Mavjo,
Just remember that if you use a cab, that is the only cab it will sound like. If you use frfr, you can choose the cab you want to sound like. I guess if you only want to ever use one cab sound...then go for it!
Thanks
Pauly

Yeah loads of help here! I really do appreciate it! Think I've decided on using matrix power amp with my cab. Seems more familiar in a sense. Haven't used a multi effect before, but I can always turn to the forums here again for help! :)

OK, but just allow room for the possibility that your CAB may in fact be the thing that's making it difficult to find your sound. If that happens, compare the sound that you're able to get from the Axe-Fx in good headphones and take things from there. We are here to help.

Back
Top Bottom