I'm back in lust with my AX8.

Dixiethedog

Experienced
When I bought my AX8 (s/h) it came loaded with a lot of what I'm guessing are "aftermarket" preset amp's (if that's the correct terminology?).
All of them seemed to be configured to the last owner's sound preferences which didn't really do it for me if I'm honest. That's not a criticism of the last owner, just a comment on different sound tastes.
I was having a look on my laptop the other night and came across a download for all of the factory AX8 preset's so thought Id give some of them a try. I'm now enjoying playing my guitar again with things like the silver jubilee model, the tri-axis, and a few other rock styles amp models.
I'm in no way an expert but the factory presets sound more vibrant and more pleasing to my ears. I don't have any ideas as to why this is the case but for now, I'm sounding a lot better and enjoying my guitar again.
I've read numerous good reports on the aftermarket amp packages and I'm sure in the right hands they are superb, but I'm not that much of an amp/patch/preset twiddler, so for now I'm keeping it simple and enjoying my newly found factory presets.
I had been starting to watch a few other amp fx modelers being tested on Youtube with the thought of "maybe I should buy one of those", but for now my AX8 is a keeper!
My AX8 now rocks!!! (After all....)

Different guitars, speakers, room all make different sound, every one has there own idea off what they like to hear so lots of times others presets do not translate. I always use others presets that I have loaded in my fractals as starting points and adjust to my taste. Glad you are enjoying your AX-8 now, I know I still enjoy the one I have, it still Sounds just as good as it did when I got it.

Thank you @paranoid for your comment. I guess Id agree totally but I play the same guitar(nearly all of the time) in the same room all of the time, my sitting room! Mostly I use my LP Custom but once in a while, I'll give my Musicman a strum.
I have been meaning to buy myself some studio monitors to perhaps expand and open up the sounds of my AX8 which I'll do once the UK govt says it's ok for me to visit local music stores once again.
Last night I watched a few short videos on Youtube (by Joshua Rogers) who explained ways of setting things up and now I feel a bit more confident with messing around with the settings. I now have some control over the sound levels which makes my Mrs happy!
On the subject of guitars, I've just ordered a set of new CTS pots, capacitors, and braided wiring for a 70's LP that has been out of use for a few years. A change of guitar with some new strings will no doubt inspire me to play. Roll on the Christmas holidays. :)

Back
Top Bottom