I'm asking for help

Daniel, I have read through this entire thread. It seems that no matter what anyone suggests you discount their suggestions and don't try them. The Axe FXIIXL+ sounds great as hundreds here know. You already have all the info in this thread you need, if you would just act on it.
I've literally tried everything everyone has suggested. What are you on about?

The ground on the guitar is basically all the visible metal work in and around the pickup area also the strings the bridge and the nut and machine heads! ( when strings are fitted). All the componants should shared an electrical connection and most of it will. This ground should be suitable connected to the sleeve of the input jack with a wire. Sometimes behind the back plate will be lined with foil to create a “faraday cage” to protect the electronics from interference. This wire will also connect to the tremolo mechanism.

You can check the state of the ground audibly by choosing a medium level gain preset at low volume and seeing if you can notice any horrible buzzing while not playing. Sometimes the noise will stop when touch any metal work of the guitar.

Assuming the Axe has been updated to current firmware?
check that, amp sim is on, cab sim is on.

Last edited:
On both my Axe FX Mark II and the Amplifire 3 I had before, the factory presets all sounded brittle until I turned down the Hicut Freq in the Cab Block from the default 20000 all the way down to 200 or there about. It should be noted I play straight into headphones.

On both my Axe FX Mark II and the Amplifire 3 I had before, the factory presets all sounded brittle until I turned down the Hicut Freq in the Cab Block from the default 20000 all the way down to 200 or there about. It should be noted I play straight into headphones.
That’s a serious cut?

That’s a serious cut?
That's what it took to get rid of the nails on a chalkboard sound I was getting on every preset. My only guess is the person(s) who created the factory presets make them to be played in gig situations where the guitar needs to cut through the mix.

I was never satisfied with the way my XL+ sounded until I got FRFR speakers. I started with the Atomic ones that had tubes and later changed to the Atomic CLRs. Now it sounds great. Try someones FRFR speakers before you buy and see how it sounds then.

I was never satisfied with the way my XL+ sounded until I got FRFR speakers. I started with the Atomic ones that had tubes and later changed to the Atomic CLRs. Now it sounds great. Try someones FRFR speakers before you buy and see how it sounds then.
If anything, powered monitors are going to exacerbate the fizz even more.

If anything, powered monitors are going to exacerbate the fizz even more.
Not for me, they didn’t. I went from going direct to PA to getting a pair of CLRs and the quality of my time went through the roof. Although maybe that just means the PA we were using was garbage!

That's what it took to get rid of the nails on a chalkboard sound I was getting on every preset. My only guess is the person(s) who created the factory presets make them to be played in gig situations where the guitar needs to cut through the mix.
I don't think so... Something else was wrong.

If your cab block had the High Cut at 200 then you're letting through almost NO frequencies in the guitars range.

It would sound like a woolly muddy mess.

I don't think so... Something else was wrong.

If your cab block had the High Cut at 200 then you're letting through almost NO frequencies in the guitars range.

It would sound like a woolly muddy mess.
Don't know what to say. I had the exact problem when I first got the Amplifire, with it sounding way too bright. The same fix smoothed it out. BTW, when I use to play a real amp through my Motherload I didn't have this problem, so I don't think it's my gear.

Let me explain this more fully. I've owned over a dozen modeling amps/processors over the years including the original Axe FX when it first came out. The presets to all of these sounded normal in terms of tonality. Its only the Atomic Amplifire and my Mark II where I got this overall way too bright plus a sound sorta like a piezo quack to them. The difference between these two units and all the others is they use IR's and all the parameters that go with them. So I figured that's where the problem laid, hence the Hicut Freq cut. If anyone thinks I could make an improvement tweaking something else I'd appreciate it, although I got it sounding good as is.

I think you mean low cut at 200Hz, for electric guitars I would thing that the high cut should be anywhere above at least 4000Hz (personally in most of my presets I set the low cut in the cab settings anywhere from 80-200Hz - usually 120Hz - and the high cut anywhere from 5000Hz -6000Hz - usually 5000Hz, but to each his own, ymmv).

Last edited:
Based on the sample sound clip provided by OP, the first thing i noticed is that it doesn't sound a lot different than when i first load a preset from the naked preset pack, when i am using my EC1000 with EMGs - i always have to tweak, but i have always had to tweak guitar amps, even tube amps.

I find that the same tweaks do much the same things for either - try tipping low/high ratio before going into amp with low shelf or cut from parametric EQ block - roll off bass knob, boost treble knob a bit - decrease master volume to tighten up any flab - add presence and a sliver of treble cap boost to taste - after the cab (or IR) low shelf boost EQ. block to regain low end if cab requires it. From there it is all about the environment where the sound is coming from, in other words, the room, or the room (or lack of) you create in a recording mix or headphones.

I think you mean low cut at 200Hz, for electric guitars I would thing that the high cut should be anywhere above at least 4000Hz (personally in most of my presets I set the low cut in the cab settings anywhere from 80-200Hz - usually 120Hz - and the high cut anywhere from 5000Hz -6000Hz - usually 5000Hz, but to each his own, ymmv).
Nope, I mean HiCut Freq. When I turn it above 500-1000 I get quack.

@Tonedeaf would love to hear audio of your playing at those settings because something is not right if you are cutting that much high end you lose your ability to cut through a mix

Back
Top Bottom