I'm asking for help

Yes, but I notice the filter slope setting is not set to where mine is. The factory presets are set to 6 something or other.

Sorry, I always build my presets from scratch, in fact all the factory presets have been deleted long time ago.

For reference purposes, here are the default values:

Capture.JPG

Reactions: JTI
Something very weird happened. To recap, all my factory presets sound overly bright with a quackiness, and I had to turn the HiCut Freq on the cab block all the way or almost down to fix, although you guys say that should have turned my sound to mush. I was on a factory preset #358 Rock Me On Clean when I noticed that it does not employ a cab block. A direct to the board sound I would quess. Anyway, I decided it needed a cab and when I added it ,it sounded pretty normal with the HiCut at 10000. When I turned it down to 200 like I normally have to, the sound turned to total mush! I searched for another preset that doesn't have a cab in the chain and found that #362 didn't, and the same thing happened. I simply must have a defective unit. It's seven years old and I bought it used so it wouldn't be surprising. Maybe someone at Fractal can read this and pinpoint the problem, but they're probably up to their necks trying to get the FM3 going.

Anyway, I decided it needed a cab and when I added it ,it sounded pretty normal with the HiCut at 10000. When I turned it down to 200 like I normally have to, the sound turned to total mush!

Which is how your modeler should sound and behave.

I simply must have a defective unit. It's seven years old and I bought it used so it wouldn't be surprising.

How can it be defective since your problem is your actual (factory) presets? Just either download and update your Axe with the latest available factory presets (I wouldn't know if they update them in every major firmware change, like I wrote, I've never bothered with any of them) or at least reset the the cab blocks (or any other block needed) of the presets that don't sound/behave as they are supposed to.

Mine btw is +9 years old, but it doesn't matter, it's a computer, not an internal combustion engine.

Something very weird happened. To recap, all my factory presets sound overly bright with a quackiness, and I had to turn the HiCut Freq on the cab block all the way or almost down to fix, although you guys say that should have turned my sound to mush. I was on a factory preset #358 Rock Me On Clean when I noticed that it does not employ a cab block. A direct to the board sound I would quess. Anyway, I decided it needed a cab and when I added it ,it sounded pretty normal with the HiCut at 10000. When I turned it down to 200 like I normally have to, the sound turned to total mush! I searched for another preset that doesn't have a cab in the chain and found that #362 didn't, and the same thing happened. I simply must have a defective unit. It's seven years old and I bought it used so it wouldn't be surprising. Maybe someone at Fractal can read this and pinpoint the problem, but they're probably up to their necks trying to get the FM3 going.
Have you ever reset the system settings? You should if you bought it used.

Have you loaded the updated factory presets?

What firmware version are you on?

Yes I loaded the latest firmware and presets a couple of weeks ago.

In conclusion. Factory presets sound bad until my HiCut Freq tweak. Factory preset w/o a cab and have one added with no tweak sounds like all the presets should. It's in the past now since I've fix them all. Just thought it was a weird as hell situation.

Yes, right after I got it. I still believe that the fact that when I turn the HiCut Freq all the way down it merely warms up the sound, but if I add a cab to a preset that is programmed without one and I turn it all the way down I get total mush, means there's something wrong with the unit, which I was able to work around.

@Tonedeaf have you made a preset from scratch, to see if the problem persists?
Then Mark II has no empty user preset locations. I thought I would get them when I upgraded to the latest firmware along with extra cabs, but it must not have the memory to do that. I did get the extra amp models thank God. If I delete a cab block on a factory preset, and then save it, then add a cab block again it remembers what the original setting was. I think your suggestion would work since adding a cab to a preset that was designed without one behaves normally.

@Tonedeaf delete one of the factory presets and start from scratch...you have the latest presets that were from quantum 8.02 correct?
I now have Ares 2.0 and the latest presets. How do you completely delete a preset? I did a search and found nothing. If your saying convert all the blocks to shunts and then saving it, that didn't work. The blocks remember what they were.

I now have Ares 2.0 and the latest presets. How do you completely delete a preset? I did a search and found nothing. If your saying convert all the blocks to shunts and then saving it, that didn't work. The blocks remember what they were.

In Preset (000-254)
Preset (menu) > Clear Preset > add Amp > select amp > right-click "Reset Block" > customize settings
add Cab > "" > "" > ''
Shunt from I > O
Add blocks and reset each.
See if tone has opened your ear canals from deaf to hear.
There is also the option to "refresh after FW install" in one of the menus. That should read all block definitions and reset the block parameters (maybe?).

have you checked your global eq settings? (sorry if you have, couldn't be bothered to read through the whole thread)

@Tonedeaf i am confused you keep saying that when you delete a block and put it back it in it “remembers” its previous settings and I am beginning to wonder if there is some user error here (not being insulting) because when you add a brand new block it should go to default settings, usually 5.00 on amp settings and the max low and hi cut in the cabs or whatever was set by default.

when you add a brand new block it should go to default settings, usually 5.00 on amp settings and the max low and hi cut in the cabs or whatever was set by default.

Just deleting and adding a block will retain the previous settings.

To get defaults you need to reset the block (double-click BYPASS or use Axe-Edit command), or delete it, store the preset, leave & return to preset, add block.

often, these kind of threads can be resolved by someone creating a patch, recording a short snippet of it and then uploading both to the thread. the op can then download the patch and compare his sound with the clip. if they're significantly different, then we know something's up.

I think I know what the OP is talking about. I'm dealing with the same thing right now. It's hard to put into terms that everyone can mutually understand. There's this fizzy high-end that I can't get rid of (I'm on a III, btw) with all the hi-gain amps. When I run an EQ block after the cab, I can pinpoint it to somewhere in the 4-8K range, it's really brash Fsssshhhhh sound that is floating 'on top' of the basic sound. I can dial everything else in and even get a GREAT sounding preset but that sound is still there. It's not a grounding issue or anything problematic with the guitar (I've tried 4 different guitars, all which are in working order).

I didn't notice it for the first couple of weeks, but now that I'm really focused on building presets for recording, it's all I can focus on and it's driving me up a wall. I'm monitoring via HS-5's. 1/4" outputs into a mixer, then into the speakers. I feel like there's gotta be some setting somewhere making this sound. I can also hear it in user presets I've downloaded. I can drop the 4K down and it goes away, but then I'm left with a muffled tone. I'm going to dig around in my global settings and see what's going on. There's no clipping anywhere on anything. Some cabs REALLY highlight it, while others.

I'll see if I can make a clip while I turn the 4K and 8K up and down to get it to stand out. It's really tricky to describe in words. The best way I could describe it is a ssshhhhhhh sound floating above the primary tone. Like I said, I can build a killer sounding preset, but it's there in the background waving it's little bastard head going "SSSsshhhhhh deeeallll with me, fucker!".

Here's a clip I made. First I crank the 8K up to accent it, then drop it pretty far down, then the second time I hit the strings I do the same thing with the 4K. AxeFX Fizz

Last edited:
I think I know what the OP is talking about. I'm dealing with the same thing right now. It's hard to put into terms that everyone can mutually understand. There's this fizzy high-end that I can't get rid of (I'm on a III, btw) with all the hi-gain amps. When I run an EQ block after the cab, I can pinpoint it to somewhere in the 4K range, it's really brash Fsssshhhhh sound that is floating 'on top' of the basic sound. I can dial everything else in and even get a GREAT sounding preset but that sound is still there. It's not a grounding issue or anything problematic with the guitar (I've tried 4 different guitars, all which are in working order).

I didn't notice it for the first couple of weeks, but now that I'm really focused on building presets for recording, it's all I can focus on and it's driving me up a wall. I'm monitoring via HS-5's. 1/4" outputs into a mixer, then into the speakers. I feel like there's gotta be some setting somewhere making this sound. I can also hear it in user presets I've downloaded. I can drop the 4K down and it goes away, but then I'm left with a muffled tone. I'm going to dig around in my global settings and see what's going on. There's no clipping anywhere on anything. Some cabs REALLY highlight it, while others.

I'll see if I can make a clip while I turn the 4K up and down to get it to stand out. It's really tricky to describe in words. The best way I could describe it is a ssshhhhhhh sound floating above the primary tone. Like I said, I can build a killer sounding preset, but it's there in the background waving it's little bastard head going "SSSsshhhhhh deeeallll with me, fucker!".
is your Input level set correctly? i don't experience this "4kHz" thing and i don't hear it in recordings of the axe.

Back
Top Bottom