I'm an idiot..

tfodor

Inspired
Fractal user for 10 years here :)

Load up my Axe 3 at rehearsal last week. For some reason, my Axe into Matrix and 1960A 4x12 had very little "bite and gain" on my higher gain presets. I recently took a beta update but everything worked ok at home.

Probably my cable. Swaps guitar cable, no difference.
Ah, probably my active pickups dying. Swap battery, nothing
Ran home, swapped guitar, nothing.
Swapped channels on the matrix, nope, not that.
Swapped speaker cable to cab, nope
Swapped CABINET!!! Nope..
Removed power conditioner and went right to outlet, nope
All sorts of axe settings..input gain, different amps, tried cab modeling on/off...NOTHING!!!
Broke everything down and went to other side of stage, maybe outlet is being weird or something (all ideas out the window at this point)

20 minutes later we say "fuck it" and run with it and I realize my footpedal was half down the entire time. Footpedal is always attached to gain as my boost.

Probably my biggest gear mishap in my 20 years playing. I'm an idiot!!!!!

Load up my Axe 3 at rehearsal last week. For some reason, my Axe into Matrix and 1960A 4x12 had very little "bite and gain" on my higher gain presets. I recently took a beta update but everything worked ok at home.

All sorts of axe settings..input gain, different amps, tried cab modeling on/off...NOTHING!!!
Broke everything down and went to other side of stage, maybe outlet is being weird or something (all ideas out the window at this point)

20 minutes later we say "fuck it" and run with it and I realize my footpedal was half down the entire time. Footpedal is always attached to gain as my boost.

believe me your not alone went thru something similar, volume knob on guitar was at @50%," idiot" was the exact same word I used. But I wont make that mistake again!

Shit happens, man. A few months ago, I had a gig in someone's living room and two of The members were sharing my Axe-FX and I was using it as an audio interface for my e-drums. Since I was the only person who knew how anything was hooked up, all the pressure was on me to set up everything. I got really nervous and wasn't about my wits so I confused the outputs on the back so nothing came out of the PA. Luckily the other bands had amps there for us but I still felt really embarrassed. At least until the cops shut the party down after our third song! 😂

believe me your not alone went thru something similar, volume knob on guitar was at @50%," idiot" was the exact same word I used. But I wont make that mistake again!
Have done the same here! "Why am I having to crank the input in my DAW to get a descent signal?"!! Check ?everything?, no good!!! Next day, all is fine and realize that volume was way down on guitar!!!! Doh!!!!!

Cocked Wah got me as well....

Also on a week off away I took my AXE3 and left my expression pedals and FC6 at home.... I set up and the sound was thin and tubular... I ended up just deleting the Wah block and it was fine.

It happened to everyone.

Almost worth writing up a checklist to go through when you're melting down with people watching!

Well, at least you didn't go changing and saving a bunch of presets before you figured it out. I did that one day (fortunately to new locations) before noticing my Piezo & mag PU's were both on.

Are you even paying attention on how to Internet? You are supposed to post in every forum online on how bad the Axe sounds and having everyone jump on your bandwagon. Then once you realized it was your mistake to make sure you don't correct any of your previous posts or information. Get with 2022 why don't ya!

Went to an audition one time... it was for an orchestral prog band and I was the only one there. I set up... start playing along to The Grand Illusion, I sound like sh!te. I can't play well, it sounds terrible, there's no other instruments to "hide" behind and no time to troubleshoot... everything is just way off. I can't play anything else well, I get more nervous, needless to say I don't get the gig.

I get home and discover that somewhere along the line I'd bumped the Global PowerAmp to OFF. Oops!!

I recently spent a good chunk of my vacation staked out on a tiny pier where mobile reception would let me talk to a big star...
...with exactly the same problem.
Ouch! I hope you were given free tickets to their next few gigs....!

#MeToo 🥴

It was a Boss FS-5U momentary pedal that I used for freezing/holding the MIDI guitar notes while pressed, and solo with the regular guitar over a synth chords progression from the powerful Clavia Nord Modular G2 Engine plus the Roland Fantom-XR, both driven with the Axon AX100 mkII.

It has a small switch at the rear side that reverses the polarity from normally open to normally closed. That night it was accidentally set to normally closed, and my performance over the mighty pads was a total disaster 😅

1654586322046.png

Last edited:

Did a show with a real, real famous guitarplayer once and he had his rig almost torn down because his guitar sounded way of. He was sure it was a bad cable or something. Turned out his wah pedal was engaged. All in all it took him (and us!) nearly 20 minutes to figure this out……

I must've thoroughly FUBARed the audio routing on my second unit, because after taking it from the home studio to our new rehearsal space I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I wasn't getting any sound at all from my Headrush. After spending hours troubleshooting and inventing several pages worth of new curses, I did a factory reset and VOILA. Still no idea WTF I did in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom