I'm afraid to bring my "A-rig" to a bar

rodzimguitar68

Fractal Fanatic
Guys,

I've worked a lifetime to amass this beast. Now I am afraid to play it in a club/bar setting. Seriously thinking about bringing a small combo and a POD, so I won't be heartbroken if there is beer spillage or theft. The band situation will be very unpolished - they wouldn't know an Axe Fx II from an ART-SGE-II if it bit them.

What say ye?

Rod

I think you make a good valid point. I definitely share some of your thoughts. I would be VERY upset if something happened to my rig. On the other hand, what's the point of having a nice rig?

I think there could be ways to try to protect your investment. I've talked to my wife about this. She'll most likely be at our shows.

Must

1. Axe fx is on it's gigging rack
2. Rack must be as far away from drunks
3. NEVER!!!!! Put any form of liquid form near the rack, SPECIALLY on top.
4. After the gig, one of us will sit on it (supervise it)
5. Leave as soon gig is over

Hope theists helps

I think you make a good valid point. I definitely share some of your thoughts. I would be VERY upset if something happened to my rig. On the other hand, what's the point of having a nice rig?

I think there could be ways to try to protect your investment. I've talked to my wife about this. She'll most likely be at our shows.

Must

Hope theists helps

Exactly... I cannot imagine leaving my best gear at home but have been burned by idiots. Just keep it behind you and always have a band member with it. Your foot controller is most exposed and put some type of rubber over it if needed...

I would be inclined to take the simplest setup that would get the job done, especially if you say they wouldn't know the difference.

Guys,

I've worked a lifetime to amass this beast. Now I am afraid to play it in a club/bar setting. Seriously thinking about bringing a small combo and a POD, so I won't be heartbroken if there is beer spillage or theft. The band situation will be very unpolished - they wouldn't know an Axe Fx II from an ART-SGE-II if it bit them.

What say ye?

Rod

Unplug the cables an take it home. More work but u will feel better and no one can steal it (as easy) at the bar @ 4 am that way.
Beer you will just have to show them yer war face....

Guys,

What say ye?

Rod

Smoke'em if you got'em. I wouldn't sweat it... Just get out there play, enjoy yourself, then get out (think Marines... in and out). I've played in the some of the roughest shitholes and never had any issues.

However, if the "juice ain't worth the squeeze" as you mentioned, maybe you should consider another venue (or band)... ?

Silly to worry about such things, especially digital technology which won't even be worth much in few years. You could just as likely get in a car accident on the way there or back (hopefully not of course) and do way more than $2k damage, but your not going to keep your car parked in the garage are you ?

Now if its such a venue that you really think theft, and/or perhaps armed robbery are likely, or the crowd is actually all over the stage and drinks are routinely poured onto gear, bottles are thrown etc, then my question would be more of why would you want to play there in the first place ?

I've been to hundreds, maybe eve thousands of shows, and I can't recall ever seeing anyone spill a beer right into an equipment rack. Few drinks can be spilled sure, but out of all the square footage in the venue, the odds of getting into your gear are pretty rare.

I'd say you have a much better chance falling off the stage, tripping over a cable etc. That is stuff I have seen happen, sometimes with some serious physical injury and medical bills, broken headstocks etc.

To me one of the main advantages about an Axe is that you can have great tones from a small and easy to carry, and replaceable, little 2 space rack.

I wouldn't bring a big collection of rare handbuilt amps, next to impossible to find effects etc on the road, leave that stuff at the studio, but the Axe can give you the next best thing, no doubt why you bought it.

Its simply an amazing live performance tool. Scenes are simply awesome when playing live

Besides, someone might break into your home while your at a gig and steal your gear......how ironic would that be!

I bought mine to gig live, if I couldn't use it for gigs I wouldn't bother! It is a worry but really it's only my MFC that's exposed,,the axe sits in its rack behind me and no one can really see it, once I've set my level I never need to look at it again anyway.

I have a $50 foot controller, I'd hate to have thousand bucks on the floor in the beer zone.

Must

Hope theists helps

ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Remember when you were little and your mom used to hide all your good toys when those boisterous kids next door came to play? Same deal.

The difference being, these kids will be drinking. And if they break your toys and you punch them in the face, their teeth wont be growing back.

I did a gig in October and some drunken idiot spilled about half a pint of cider on my MFC. I spent the following day taking it apart and cleaning the sticky apple smelling goo off of it. Also there was still cider in the LCD screen. I took that apart and cleaned/dried it. To my relief the MFC didn't suffer in any way, it works as good as new.
I do have the unit insured with all my other gear, so I refuse not to take and use all the gear I have worked so hard to buy. There is risk with everything.

It's worse when the gear that gets damaged isn't even yours. A few years ago I borrowed a guitar to use as a backup on a gig and it ended up bouncing off of a mic stand. In this case the drunken individual responsible for the damage was our vocalist... still feel bad about that.

I don't want to own anything that's that precious to me that I don't want to use it. If I'd worry about it breaking I wouldn't bring it. And to me, the brilliance of digital stuff is it's infinitely copyable. An Axe Fx is never going to be like THAT vintage guitar or amp. A simple backup and you'll get all of your work back on a new unit. There's nothing special about your individual Axe Fx, even if it feels like it :)

I'd use the cheapie rig for playing in seedy places. It's like some musicians taking reissue instruments on tour with them and leaving the really valuable vintage pieces at home.

Back
Top Bottom