I'm afraid to bring my "A-rig" to a bar

Only reason I'd not take my "A" rig is (ignoring the fact that I don't really have a gig-worthy "B" rig) if it were just overkill or otherwise inappropriate. As far as beer spillage or theft... I'm the only one putting any beverages anywhere near my own rig, and good luck to anyone who wants to try sneak out carrying my rack. They'd have an easier time carrying out one of the bar fridges. :lol

Back on the beer spillage... despite the disgracefully scummy places we've played in on occasion, I've never had anyone spill beer on my stuff. I have myself however on a few occasions spilled beer on my MFC. Still works perfectly fine. I've also dropped my Axe (not in a rack) a few feet on to a hard floor. I wouldn't exactly encourage doing either, but it's not like the stuff needs to be babied. And even if someone did somehow manage to steal my rack, at least nothing in there's anywhere near irreplaceable. If someone buggers off with my main guitar on the other hand, I'd likely never find another of the same model. But it's not going to stop me from playing out with it. I'm going to leave my #1 guitar at home only to be used for quiet home practice.

If you're really paranoid about theft, maybe consider clearly marking your rack case. It is just a fairly inexpensive case after all (unless you've got some crazy custom jobbie). Spray paint the whole thing hot pink. See if anyone dares to try sneak out with the hot pink case without anyone noticing. :lol

Insurance is the way to go if you can afford it.

If not and you play regularly in places that swill beer and who knows what all over, just cover stuff at the front of the stage with clear plastic tarp. Cut it to fit. Lay it over the MFC. Works great for rain too.

Wedges are harder to protect though. Its pretty easy to wrap the audience side in plastic but a direct pour right down the grill is still possible.

The main reason I quite doing gig's like that. If you must play in a place like that bag you stuff and don't leave it alone or out of your sight.

If you are that close to people, get a clear shower curtain, cut to size and put over your whole board, can still see and click buttons. Mark Tremonti did this in one of his rig rundowns.

I personally don't let my stuff out of my sight. Either I or someone else has their hands on my stuff, especially guitars. If I had to leave the stuff, I would put the rack covers on and have the guitars up. I've seen guys who have bike chains and chain rack handles workbox's to a pole or something inside of a bar. Just don't make it easy on people.

It would be very difficult for me to play a POD knowing that I had an AxeFX at home...

I say enjoy it and don't live in fear over what might happen. Life is too short for a B-rig.

With a clear shower curtain, and some of that vinyl glue, you could actually make a pretty nice custom sized cover for the MFC pretty easily. I used to used shower curtains to make rain covers for my supertelephoto camera lens at football games. Just fold the curtain into a wedge shaped box, trim the extra material off, fold it under and add some glue. Cut out a hole for the cable and you could still easily see everything, still work the buttons and I think it would repel about 99% of spilled drinks

Just take it and and use it.
It's not a 59 les Paul. Its value won't go up. U'll probably buy another thing in a couple of years.
It's a tool. Enjoy it.

Just take it and and use it.
It's not a 59 les Paul. Its value won't go up. U'll probably buy another thing in a couple of years.
It's a tool. Enjoy it.

That is sure the truth too. I remember my parents being real worried about a VHS home movie camera. Didn't want to take it places because it was so expensive. And what is a VHS camcorder worth these days ? $25, if that at a garage sale ? MIssed out on some family memories because they wanted to keep the camera just at home, and in perfect shape in its box, rather than actually use and while I'm sure they've still got, and its still probably in great shape, what good did it do them ?

In 5 years or so, what will it really matter if your Axe II still looks like you pulled it from the box ? Its going to be a fraction of its original value regardless, and you'll have missed out on enjoying it

Life is too short for a "B" rig.

As Scott Burrow posted above - insure it. I do. Far more affordable than you might imagine, covers EVERYTHING including theft, flood, fire and accidents.

Heritage Insurance Service - Insurance for fine musical instruments Insurance

1) Get insurance
2) keep insurance
3) don't be careless
4) be very familiar with your insurance policies

I have insurance through Heritage and it's great so far. Haven't had to make a claim, but depending on the outcome of the last gig I may have to. The bouncer was throwing a guy out, drunky Magee got away and jumped on stage just far enough to get his foot snagged on my Ethernet cable. The bouncer didn't notice and as he literally threw the guy out, my cable went with him, yanking it straight out of the MFC, destroying both ends of the cable and breaking the "latch" of the MFC jack. It still works, but the cable falls out easily, so I need to send that in for repair when I can. The bar will likely pay for that one, but if not, I'll likely be making a claim depending on cost. On a side note, my VAFAM panel took the yanking like a champ. Completely unscathed.

I take my top notch gear whenever possible!

I have no idea when my time on this earth is up........

When my number comes up......and the good lord calls me.....God forbid i'm jammin' on a pod are my backup unit.....

I want to leave with a big smile on my face!......jammin' my favorite axe and the AXEII!!!

When I put away my All Access (after getting the MFC) in a transparent plastic bag, it happened to fit nice and tightly.
Kinda ideal against dust and beers. Just needs a few holes for the cables.

However, I've not stomped on it much since, so I don't know how long the plastic would hold.

For the other worry, it is nice to know you have the cash (if you have) to replace it instantly and just be careful w/o worrying, because it may attract the exact situation.

Last edited:
I've put my entire board in a Zip-Loc bag before! Got the idea from...I think was Larry Mitchell actually. He was doing it for his smaller Liquid Foot. I can get my whole PT-2 board in a Zip-Log bag like this: Storage Solutions: Ziploc® brand Big Bags

I just slide it in sideways and if I'm really feeling paranoid I'll seal it up. But usually I don't. Protects against beer and rain. Works awesome at outdoor gigs.

Back
Top Bottom