I'm addicted to Supply Sag

@iaresee is that 5E3 Neil Young preset using tweaked advanced params? Love the harmonics on that. Can you give some details?
I'll have to dial in something from scratch. I don't have bank archives going back that far any more (it was made in July of 2012!). I don't even have the same pickups in that guitar any more...

Hmm. Really hard to get that sound now since the firmware has moved on and the low frequency response at really extreme settings has improved so much. It's actually pretty hard to make it do that glitchy thing now. Here's as close as I could get:

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=4723

There's a '58 Bassguy as the main model but try AMP 2 as well as it's setup similarly but using the Tweed Deluxe model. The Y side of the AMP 1 block as a 65 Bassguy Nrml model configured similarly so you can try all the combinations out.

I do love the variance in the response you can get just by playing harder or software on this patch. Lay back and it's fuzzy but articulate. Dig in and it starts to go beyond what the amp can handle in crazy, but nice ways.

All this without waking up the neighbours is nice.

Scenes 1 - 5 are configured. They change the input gain on the AMP blocks similar to what Young's "whizzer" controller does for him.

Last edited:
Woah sounds great!

Good to know there are a bunch of other things that I can tweak to get some "messed up" sounds. I'm assuming that the sounds of these controls will vary depending on the model as well.

Not to get too off topic but are there cab IRs of torn speakers or other broken elements?

Motor drive all the way up sounds like speakers converting themselves into confetti

Is it wrong that I like this cranked almost all the way up?

Didn't some people use a little lightbulb to add extra sag to the signal? I sort of recall they used a bulb in the speaker cable path to produce a delayed resistance as the bulb heats up in response to a note or chord. It's been a while since i tried it but it had cool results. Now we don't have to - we have Fractal AFX. Although a lightbulb 'drive' block would be interesting.

Adicted to "squish" ehh? People always wonder why I used tube rectification over diodes, and I always replied "can't live without the squish". To me it's most intregal to that tube feel.

Didn't some people use a little lightbulb to add extra sag to the signal? I sort of recall they used a bulb in the speaker cable path to produce a delayed resistance as the bulb heats up in response to a note or chord. It's been a while since i tried it but it had cool results. Now we don't have to - we have Fractal AFX. Although a lightbulb 'drive' block would be interesting.

I haven't heard of light bulbs in the speaker cable path, but Sam Timberlake (http://www.samamp.com) has been using four light bulbs in the output tube power supply chain to do this in his VAC (Variable Amplitude Clipping) amps. His VAC23 is great. There's a selector for turning on the bulbs depending on how much wattage you want - 3 to 23 watts.

Lightbulbs in the speaker path was an old Altec Lansing trick as I recall to use as transient peak protection for speakers. The idea was that it was easier to replace a lightbulb than replace a voice coil or recone. The UREI monitors I used to work with had lightbulbs for two drivers and a fuse for the third to protect everything.

Reactions: MSP
Lightbulbs in the speaker path was an old Altec Lansing trick as I recall to use as transient peak protection for speakers. The idea was that it was easier to replace a lightbulb than replace a voice coil or recone. The UREI monitors I used to work with had lightbulbs for two drivers and a fuse for the third to protect everything.

I seem to recall light bulbs in Bose 801s as well ('70s)

They should expose the lightbulb to outside world with a little red lens. If you see the red light come on, you're starting to push the speakers too hard.

I have an old Morley Power Wah from the '70s. It has a red power light on the front. One day it burnt out, and the whole pedal stopped working! A quick peek inside revealed the reason. The PWO uses a light sensor to control the wah circuit, so there's no pots involved. There's a strip of Naugahyde that is attached to a rod coming from the front of the rocker pedal, and the other side is attached to the far side of a box that contains the light sensor. So when the pedal is rocked forward and backwards, the Naugahyde strip opens and closes the top of the box and lets in varying amounts of light. The light source doubles as the power indicator.

As it turns out the closest match I could get to the original bulb was a little bit brighter than the original. The pedal was always a little more "toe down" than before. When the Internet caught up and we had email a few years later, I sent a message to Morley and they sent me a couple of replacement bulbs for free right away.

Last edited:
As you get older you become much more familiar with sag and will generally "gravitate" toward it.
As you get older you become much more familiar with sad and will generally "gravitate" toward it.
I got the sagging blues this morning and it will last all day,
gotta play some blues now, sag cranked up all the way...

so sag is in the power amp, and preamp sag is in the preamp...does variac choke out the preamp too, or just the power amp? a single rectifier on spongy (50 watt head on spongy, basically down to ~35 watts) is so freaking loose in the breakup, it breaks up easy like a studio pre with just a slight touch, vs a 100 watt recto on diodes, preamp distortion getting toward square wave buzzsaw land that you have to hit on hard to break it up. i was hoping you would be able to variac the whole amp down...

Back
Top Bottom