I'm addicted to Supply Sag

Are you using high Sag levels on high gain and modern amps or just low & mid gain? I like Sag on vintage and most low/mid gain sounds, but when you get into modern mid & high gain a stiff power supply keeps it aggressive.

So it's like using a tube rectifier that's not efficient enough to keep the supply steady to the power tubes, so they sag more.

Are you using high Sag levels on high gain and modern amps or just low & mid gain? I like Sag on vintage and most low/mid gain sounds, but when you get into modern mid & high gain a stiff power supply keeps it aggressive.

Lower gain stuff. I like it around 30-40% for higher gain stuff.

Is it wrong that I like this cranked almost all the way up?

Damn, of course I'm the voice to differ.

I dig the comp in the amp model, but I the sag is just too squishy for me. I like the 'snap' of the amp (especially in the vintage models...) Has a nice little trail out ring on it ala like Zeppy.

I'll revisit, but do we have an amp model that you have a crush on there Cliff?

R

Is it wrong that I like this cranked almost all the way up?

Cliff -

Every day I am grateful for this parameter. Years back I had Andy Fuchs build be a custom version of their ODS-30 head that included a SAG switch. I gotta say, it just never got that 'sound'. The Axe-FX II kicks the snot out of what the Fuchs guys tried to do for me. Nothing against those guys - they build great amps! My thinking was that the switch merely dropped B+ voltage, or something equivalent.

My usage is not quite as extreme as yours (always keep it under 4), but I love what I can squeeze (note tone pun) out of it. Keep it greasy!

Pete

If I understand correct, this parameter is comparable to the Mesa Rectifier Spongy/Bold switch? Bold turn left, spongy right?

Supply Sag models the power supply resistance. This includes the power transformer, rectifier and any other resistances before the filter caps. The higher the resistance, the more the supply droops when current is pulled from it by the power tubes. The more the supply droops, the spongier the feel.
THANKYOU!!!!!!!Knowledge is POWER

The Supertweed with the sag dimed -- makes me smile very big, ear to ear.

There's also a Suhr-tain model that's in 7.0 that sounds great with the sag dimed too IMO.

The Supertweed with the sag dimed -- makes me smile very big, ear to ear.

There's also a Suhr-tain model that's in 7.0 that sounds great with the sag dimed too IMO.

What? Is the supertweed back, when did that happen? I´ve missed that totally...
I´ll have to get home and fire my II up.

/Mike

Rocker wants more sag -- the ironies never end LOL

Depending on the type of feel I want under my fingers, I'll go for one or combinations of the following: sag, compression, dynamics, damp, transformer match.

That's funny because my default amp tweaking is to take sag down to the lowest possible: .02 and follow with bias at 100% - seems to work for me.

(mind you I do play high gain rock and metal exclusively) :)

Supply Sag models the power supply resistance. This includes the power transformer, rectifier and any other resistances before the filter caps. The higher the resistance, the more the supply droops when current is pulled from it by the power tubes. The more the supply droops, the spongier the feel.

Thank you for the description! I have unfortunately no experience with tube-amps but I had a play with the knob and I can definitely hear a difference. I would imagine that higher settings on Supply Sag will be better suited for muddier and less-gain sounds as I seem to like the clarity of a little-to-none Supply Sag -sound better. I play mostly high-gain metal though so I guess that's why.

This of it this way, Tanax. The higher the Sag control is set, the more it sounds like the amplifier is struggling. Simple as that!

Setting the Sag control really high probably wouldn't be very conducive to the sound you're looking to achieve.

Back
Top Bottom