1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm a thoroughly impressed Mesa snob

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx III Reviews' started by yoitsmegabe, Jul 27, 2018.

1. yoitsmegabe

yoitsmegabe
    Expand Collapse
    New here

I originally got the Axe FX II in early January and returned it immediately after seeing he announcement for the III. Waited 7 months and finally decided to pull the trigger. Man i'm glad I did. I love Mesa amps/cabs. I had a Dual Rectifier Roadster and sold that for a Mark v (my current favorite amp). I play through a 4x12 slant recto cab with g12 century vintage speakers. I wanted the Axe FX to be able to play through headphones, record ideas on my computer, and run it through a power amp to my cab for jamming all in one unit. This was supposed to be a companion to my current setup

This thing will replace my Mark V setup as soon as I'm done tone matching all of the voicings. I already matched my channel 3 sound by 99.6% using the USA lead c++ model. That was just using my ears not the tone match. I'm so impressed with the tone and feel of this thing. I'm currently running it through a Matrix gt1600fx to my cab. I was also shocked at how good the Matrix power amp is. No need for a tube 2:90 which I was originally eyeballing. All this and I have a couple of hundred other amps in there to play with. Now i'm just waiting for a rack to put this stuff in.

6L6C, is9582, PumpkinKing86 and 8 others like this.
  2. Tom Morris

Tom Morris
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I just call it the god box.

yoitsmegabe and Eric Rowland like this.
  3. Ron_R

Ron_R
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

You should check out Leon Todd on YouTube. He does some AMAZING tutorials on getting awesome Mesa sounds from the Axe 8/Axe Fx II. Very easily translatable to the III.

4. Sustainerplayer

Sustainerplayer
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

We knew. Now you know. Everybody should know. :D

5. decreebass

decreebass
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Good to know!

OP - I'm with you. My Mesas are my life as far as amps go. They're also basically the only amps I use in modelers, as well. I really liked the sounds I was getting out of my Helix but the Mesa Mark IV sounds I get out of the Axe (Rhythm 1 & 2) are to die for and I haven't even needed to bother auditioning other amps!

yoitsmegabe likes this.
  6. MSS

MSS
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

The Mesa amps on the Axe are outstanding! The Recto 2 Red is my go to amp lately.

yoitsmegabe and Ron_R like this.
  7. yoitsmegabe

yoitsmegabe
    Expand Collapse
    New here

I love the C++ and the Recto Red Modern 2. I think there are some other recto models tucked in there that aren't labelled recto. The FAS modern sounds recto-like to me but it is tight as hell. So far i'm loving this box.

symphx likes this.
  8. Rick

Rick
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

A convert from the mighty Road King II here. Oh, I still have one, and it still sounds awesome, but it hasn't left the house in years now. I totally understand.

yoitsmegabe likes this.
  9. is9582

is9582
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Yep, I too still have my original (MarkIIC-) I bought new from Mesa (the good old days where everything was shipped) which also still is a killer. But I wish I could have had my AxeFXIII back in the 80’s! The sound and flexibility still blows me away!

yoitsmegabe likes this.
  10. Lionfeather

Lionfeather
    Expand Collapse
    New here

I'm glad to hear it since I just sold my Roadking to get one of these.... waiting until Thursday.

yoitsmegabe likes this.