I'm A Metallica Fan Again!

GotMetalBoy

Power User
The last time I was excited about a Metallica album was in 1991 when the Black album came out. They have 5 new videos on their website https://metallica.com

Anyone know if they used the Axe-Fx II to record their guitars and bass?

The albums sound quality is awesome. Even Lars sounds good and seems to be playing much better.

The last time I was excited about a Metallica album was in 1991 when the Black album came out. They have 5 new videos on their website https://metallica.com

Anyone know if they used the Axe-Fx II to record their guitars and bass?

The albums sound quality is awesome. Even Lars sounds good and seems to be playing much better.
Not positive, but I believe it's all AXFX...

The last guy to master I think death magnetic wanted his name taken off- I think one of the mixers or master-ers...
He said it was compressed to hell before he even got it and did what he could.

Interesting fact-
I was listening to it in my car once and kept hearing a weird click when I turned it down- it was audible clipping on the drums, even after I turned it down the clipping still clicked on my car speakers.

I still like that album though...

On the other hand- I really like Load and Reload- I can't stand the pressure fans put on them to do thrash stuff when they're such talented writers they could do so much more. (Hero of the Day, Until It Sleeps etc)

The new album doesn't sound as compressed as Death Magnetic. You can hear the guitar notes and drum hits, so the dynamics are better.

Death Magnetic sounded like white noise. It's a good album but I couldn't keep listening to it.

I think it's cool how they're in standard tuning for the new album but it still sounds thick and heavy. It's refreshing to not hear all down tuned guitars.

I think the bass could be more pronounced in the mix. There's not much definition to the bass notes.

Overall I like the song writing and recording quality.

On the other hand- I really like Load and Reload- I can't stand the pressure fans put on them to do thrash stuff when they're such talented writers they could do so much more. (Hero of the Day, Until It Sleeps etc)

Yeah, Load and Reload are definitely underrated. There's some really great songs on those and the tones and production quality are flawless compared to St. Anger and Death Magnetic.

The new songs do sound pretty great. Need to grab the new album.

I hate them with a fiery passion after the Napster incident. Them pretending to never have been a metal band during the Load/Reload years was the nail in their coffin as far as I'm concerned. The only way I can still stomach their old stuff is by pretending the real Metallica died in some horrendous plane crash after the Black Album and some talentless coverband has been faking it ever since in their place.

I hate them with a fiery passion after the Napster incident. Them pretending to never have been a metal band during the Load/Reload years was the nail in their coffin as far as I'm concerned. The only way I can still stomach their old stuff is by pretending the real Metallica died in some horrendous plane crash after the Black Album and some talentless coverband has been faking it ever since in their place.

You may like this interview with James hetfield
* http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-11-08/metallicas-james-hetfield-my-life-story

Scroll down to where it says "What would Cliff have made of some of the directions the band went in the 1990s? Beginning with The Black Album in 1991 up to the time of St Anger in 2003?"

I'm a Metallica fan with the exception of Hammett. Someone take away his wah pedal and teach him how to play. Thx.

I 1st heard them when a buddy held up Kill em all Vinyl in 82? Took me till Masters to really get them, then through Black album loved their stuff. Magnetic songs seemed a little uninspired as a whole -despite whatever opinion about compression used.

The stuff I have heard off this new release is awesome!! It couples all of the best material they have done and contains memorable melody as well as killer chugga riffs!

Me like and will buy the whole album!

Im a first 4 album guy, the new stuff is best theyve done since or even before Black, but its not as complicated as their old stuff. Someone needs to I agree get rid of Kirk Whammit or his pedal and have him go back to some of the more scale oriented licks of Ride, Master, when he was taking lessons from Joe S. So its good but not great, quite repetitive.

Im a first 4 album guy, the new stuff is best theyve done since or even before Black, but its not as complicated as their old stuff. Someone needs to I agree get rid of Kirk Whammit or his pedal and have him go back to some of the more scale oriented licks of Ride, Master, when he was taking lessons from Joe S. So its good but not great, quite repetitive.

Same here, first 4 albums; although, the new one, which apparently dropped on Spotify, which I can't access yet (losers), is actually very trashy and a bit invigorating!

I have to admit, this is actually pretty good. The last Metallica album I bought and legitimately enjoyed was the Black Album. I could probably give Hardwired to my teenage self and he'd probably really like it.

I started liking them back again, especially with latest discovery of Metallica using Fractal gear. Sounds SOOOO rocking cool in this vid

Back
Top Bottom