I'm a bigger idiot

slinky005

Power User
As we age we get wiser.
Says who??

So i'm playing my new Strat at a gig and the plastic nob on the pickup switcher pops off.
So I look around frantically and by sheer luck I find it.
Same thing had happened at rehearsal.
So I decide to take matters into my own hands.
I'm going to permanently glue the nob onto the switcher.
Enter Crazy Glue.
(Any idea where this is going....)
I squeeze 4 or 5 drops onto the the inside of the nob.
(Ya I know - it only takes one) but my eyesight is not what it used to be and I wasn't sure that clear liquid was coming out.
So I stick it on to the switcher, let it sit for a couple of minutes, close the case and put it away.

Next time I play the thing is at rehearsal.
I plug it in, tune it up and hear that I'm on the second to last position.
I go to push it to bridge position and.......it ain't budging.
I mean it's not moving a gazillameter.

Google - Use nail polish remover.
I start applying a generous amount for about 5 min.
It ain't budging.

So I come to the conclusion that the switch will have to be replaced.
I get out the hammer, put piece of wood between the hammer and nob and.... a slight tap finally got it moving again.
But it's toast.
Not really useable because of the leftover glue. Makes it stick.

Sooooo...if I wanted to replace it myself, I assume it's not too complicated (you're thinking "don't put this guy and a screwdriver anywhere near the Strat).
The only issue I can think of is that now that the nob needs to be nuked to come off, I think the actual switch will have to be cut below the nob so it will slide out of the pickguard. I don't own any tools that can acheive this.

What do you think?

Get a set of cutting pliers and break the plastic nob..To replace the 5 way switch you will need to weld wires....Good luck

There's soldering involved in fitting a new 5 way - how far is the fire dept from your house? :)

Contact your local music equipment store or a local tech if you know one - no point in inviting more disaster.

BTW - a little wrap of thin tape like sellotape (not sure if US call it that?) around the top of the bare switch lever can act as a wedge and cure the plastic bit falling off if it gets loose again ;)

Ok Slinky, since everyone else is being a chicken, I'll tell you how to do it.

First you need the following tools:
- A blow torch - preferably a big mother of a blowtorch (oxyacetylene works best)
- A 5-lb sledge hammer
- A big honking hacksaw (the type used by lumberjacks to cut down huge trees)
- 5 litres of premium fuel
- And a new replacement 5-way switch.

(You may need to go to a music store to get the 5-way switch - or if you're lucky, you will not have to because it will be available in step 3 below).

Step-by-step guide:
1-) Gather all the required equipment listed above
2-) Put it all safely in the garage, except the 5-way switch
3-) Drive (with your guitar) to your favorite guitar tech or luthier (if you weren't able to find a 5-way switch, let him worry about it)
4-) Explain what you did
5-) After he stops laughing, leave the guitar with him so he can fix it.
6-) Pick up the guitar once he's done with it.
7-) Destroy all crazy glue you may have in your possession.

If you can't handle a drop of 'super glue' you damn well better leave the tools to someone that knows what they're doing. :lol

Ok Slinky, since everyone else is being a chicken, I'll tell you how to do it.

First you need the following tools:
- A blow torch - preferably a big mother of a blowtorch (oxyacetylene works best)
- A 5-lb sledge hammer
- A big honking hacksaw (the type used by lumberjacks to cut down huge trees)
- 5 litres of premium fuel
- And a new replacement 5-way switch.

(You may need to go to a music store to get the 5-way switch - or if you're lucky, you will not have to because it will be available in step 3 below).

Step-by-step guide:
1-) Gather all the required equipment listed above
2-) Put it all safely in the garage, except the 5-way switch
3-) Drive (with your guitar) to your favorite guitar tech or luthier (if you weren't able to find a 5-way switch, let him worry about it)
4-) Explain what you did
5-) After he stops laughing, leave the guitar with him so he can fix it.
6-) Pick up the guitar once he's done with it.
7-) Destroy all crazy glue you may have in your possession.
Ok I've got the 5lb slegdgehammer and 5 gallons of nitroglycerin, now what?

When the story got to " (Any idea where this is going....)
I thought you were going to crazy glue your fingers to your face or something . You are lucky you just bunged up the guitar ha .

had the problem with my tele. got me one of these but the set screw kept coming loose. a dab of clear nail polish fixed that.

Ok I've got the 5lb slegdgehammer and 5 gallons of nitroglycerin, now what?
1. Find an old video of the Who live.
2. Fast forward to "My Generation."
3. Holding your guitar carefully, do *everything* that Pete Townshend does until the song has completely ended.

4. Return to the dealer and purchase a new guitar.

Back
Top Bottom