iLok required ?

The dongle is kind of a pain, especially with laptops that might not have any free ports, especially if your already using an external audio device etc. If you've got a laptop and then a desktop at home, in the studio etc, its a bit of swapping, and in the rare instance that dongle fails (which sadly at least didn't use to be that rare lol) its quite a bit of hassle, and lost time, trying to get the situation fixed. Imperfect solution for an imperfect world of software piracy which requires such things.

I do really like Fractal gave me a coupon as a past purchaser, very nice. I also like that ability to hear the mix in real time, which is pretty darn cool, so I suppose I'll buy it still, but not thrilled about iLok just the same.

Makes me wonder if there was issues with lots of unauthorized use of the earlier CabLab ? I don't remember any protection on there... maybe one person was buying it and sharing it will all his buddies etc ?

Yeah what's the number of computers allowable in the license?

My understanding is one license for running one instance at a time.

The number of computers doesn't matter as long as each one has the license when you are running cab lab.

Each computer running the software must have the iLok manager installed AND the license either loaded onto the computer itself or in the iLok2 USB dongle.

I've always used the USB dongle so it's a matter of getting iLok manager installed everywhere and the software you want to use. Then pull the iLok USB from one computer and plug it into another to use that machine.

I've never used the install to local computer route, but my understanding is you have to move the local license to the iLok cloud first. Essentially uninstall the license. Then load the license from the iLok cloud back to another computer. Sounds like a PITA to me. I would go the USB dongle route if you want to switch computers often.

Since you've never used iLok what is your reason? Just the philosophy of it?

I'm not a fanboy of iLok. To me it was just part of doing business using Pro Tools so I use it.

Yes, pretty much the philosophy behind-I do NOT mean Fractal when I say this.

The way I feel and that's all it is.

Last edited:
I probably would never have heard of iLok if it wasn't for Pro Tools.

But my experience with iLok has been benign. Install it. Run it. Use it. Done.

Pro Tools on Windows is its own "little special challenge" lol. So maybe because Pro Tools is so hard to get running the iLok stuff never chapped me :)

Last edited:
Hmmmm. . . I wonder if iLok 1 is supported. Can't seem to active it, but that just might be me.

Found the answer to my own question. In case anyone still has an iLok 1, it is NOT supported. I've not used mine since I switched from ProTools to Reaper a few years ago, so iLok 2 has not popped onto my radar until today.

Looks like I'll run off the local host.

Terry.

just ordered....If its one business day, then that would mean i'll be waiting till Monday for an activation code? if thats the case..bummer!

So in other words, same as before but now with email. Sigh..... ok. :)

drilling-F5.gif

For whatever reason, that almost made me piss my pants. Hilarious! :lol:encouragement:

Back
Top Bottom