I'll never understand what makes it so difficult...

This reminds me of a story from 15 years ago while I was working for one of the large pharm company and we replacing RSA 2fA tokens with PKI USB tokens. So 15 years ago if you recall most laptops had their USB ports on the back of the laptop. During the deployment we received complaints from the end users that it was too difficult to turn the laptop around and plug in the USB port. The suggestion we received from leadership was to purchase a USB cable extension, 12 inches in length so that the employees could just plug their PKI token into this cable.

We affectionally called this the R-Cable for the politically incorrect term of mentally deficient.

Maybe FAS needs an R-Button to remove all advance features, oh wait, that's what the authentic tab does. ;)

People make it difficult , simple answer. šŸ˜€
People or fractal ? šŸ˜Š
When you have 2000 cabs , 400 amps , effects and whatever ... thatā€™s ok if some people put their favorite amp and cab and just play without trying nothing , but thatā€™s not everyone case šŸ˜…. I you have a big library and only read the same book ... if you are curious , itā€™s easy to fall in the ā€œnever ending tweaking processā€

Last edited:
Something can objectively sound fantastic to someone who thinks it sounds fantastic. Someone can hate how a $5000 speaker sounds even if others like it. Preference is all about opinion, and an opinion is totally personal.

People or fractal ? šŸ˜Š
When you have 2000 cabs , 400 amps , effects and whatever ... thatā€™s ok if some people put their favorite amp and cab and just play without trying nothing , but thatā€™s not everyone case šŸ˜…. I you have a big library and only read the same book ... if you are curious , itā€™s easy to fall in the ā€œnever ending tweaking processā€

The people.

A compulsion to tweak parameters is not the fault of any equipment.

It is possible to stop when you get a tone you like. You can then spend a day, a week, a year with that same tone and enjoy playing. Or you can spend that same time trying to do better. Person A will enjoy playing, person B will hope the search pays off.

what if you sound terrible? and the ones who tried but werent happy sound even better than you? Alone the fact that how advanced this gear is...should help you understand, for many reasons it can be too complicated, hard to use for some people. ...If your post is about ā€œunderstandingā€.

There are many world class players out there, who can NOT play thru FRFR and they need their cab, amp right next to them. On stage or in studio.

And there are many experienced users posting stuff here...sound good
/ok on computer/phone speakers...than i listen in my studio, and the low end is a mess. (to my ears ofcourse...but up to a certain point it is also measurable/sceintifically clear, those tones wont work neither on stage nor in recording in most cases)

FYI, I donā€™t own a real amp anymore, even no pedals/fx and been 11 years almost i do all with axe fx. Mostly FRFR, sometimes hook axe to a traditional cab...super happy but is doesnt mean everybody has to like Axe Fx, or find it easy to use. People have different backround, experience...

I try/want also my bass/guitar player friends understand, see how great Axe Fx is...and probably made 10 people buy fractal products already....but it just simply doesnt work for some they canā€™t get what they want to hear out of it.
Its one thing to not understand how to make it work. That can be overcome. When you start with "its un useable", that is different.

Yes you can. Accuracy, linearity and distortion are easily measurable and absolutely objective.
Doesn't really apply to guitar modelers, right?

Doesn't really apply to FRFR cabs used with a modeler either, since you're intentionally listening to all that intentional distortion and EQ. Hi-Fi reproduction of it maybe, but there's no useful point of reference.

I'm quite sure my presets are compensating for the foibles of my cheapo Alesis "monitors", my less than perfectly treated room (though I did try pretty hard on that back in the day), and my 68 yo hearing. But I still enjoy playing through that chain, a lot.

Yes you can. Accuracy, linearity and distortion are easily measurable and absolutely objective.
That's true, but you said, "I see so many people saying that a given piece of entry-level gear "sounds fantastic" when it's objectively not true." Is the term fantastic objectively verifiable? If so, how is it measured?

Its one thing to not understand how to make it work. That can be overcome. When you start with "its un useable", that is different.
i am not able to follow, who said ā€œits unusuableā€ ?! neither your own post nor my response mentions anything about people saying ā€œaxe is unusable.ā€

I thought you were trying to understand why some people are having a hard time with axe fx and are not happy with results.

Someone can hate how a $5000 speaker sounds even if others like it. Preference is all about opinion, and an opinion is totally personal.

I agree with this 100%, but this is just a completely incorrect statement:

Something can objectively sound fantastic to someone who thinks it sounds fantastic.

1615350734980.png

Objective | Definition of Objective by Merriam-Webster (merriam-webster.com)

The moment you throw "objective" in there, you're making a claim that can be verified independently of opinion, viewpoint, feelings, or interpretations.

Words mean something.

"This sounds objectively fantastic" as a sentence is a contradiction by definition.

That's correct, but that's not what I'm responding to. You can't use it with words like "worse" or "better" when you're talking about how something sounds. You can say "this is objectively more accurate" and that's fine. You can't say "this objectively sounds worse".

I also had and have bandmates who sounds strange and untight independent of gear because they always raise up gain too much, don't want to deal with their own gear too much (no learning or trying), do not proper palmmutes, little back in timing and didn't set up their guitar right or even use the wrong pickup...

I'm really not one of the greatest guitarist but I inform myself about my gear and try to play straight in timing and do palmmutes with highgain sounds, use thick plectrum and aggressive picking instead of blame it on the gear.
One time I had to use a 250ā‚¬ Behringer Modelling Amp for a Gig because my Johnson was broken and it took much time to get at least one usable sound out of it. But i got it and after the Gig I got praise for my good sound... I was surprised because of the lousy amp.

IR selection and auditing remains an area that Fractal could and should innovate and improve, itā€™s really a daunting task for new users.

I have spent years with my tons of IRs, and know my ways around and have a bunch of go-tos but for new user randomly auditioning IRs is doomed to be frustrating experience....

This is why Helix has its stock cab UI, QC also has an intuitive IR selector UI intuitively based on cab, mic and positions. Heck, my User IRs in Axe III are also currently organized in similar ways. And I gave up on factory IR long back, too many duds there...

Back
Top Bottom