III vs XL+: Please give me your advice.

Go for the 3. If I played for a living, I would look at return of investment and a used 2XL+ would likely provide the best bang for your buck as a pure money spending thing. But as a hobby, as it is for me, the prime objective is to provide as much enjoyment as possible and the 3 would provide more enjoyment for longer. Looking at previous release history of the Standard, Ultra and 2, we can expect the 3 to be current (as in receiving firmware updates) until about 2025 at which time you can likely still sell your 3 for about 80% of what you bought it for now. Over time the cost of owning a 3 if you buy it now and keep it for the time it's current is likely going to be less than AUD $100/year at which time you always have the latest and greatest. A no-brainer for me.

A different perspective that may be helpful and a disclaimer up front - I purchased an XL2+ at full retail about a week before the 3 was announced. At first I was feeling pretty damn unlucky and this was compounded when they dropped the price of the unit another $500 odd. Sure, my timing probably sucked but what could I have done about - nothing! So some may see my view as biased for these reasons but I don't regret my purchase one bit - would have been nice to save $500 but that's life and technology!

If I had the choice again today I would still go for the XL2+. Why? I don't like the 3U space as it wouldn't fit my setup. I haven't identified one improved feature that is of any use to me. I only use Axe Edit in front of my PC - I don't gig out so this is pure home studio use - I've almost never touched the front panel of the unit! Axe Edit is nothing short of brilliant so an upgraded on unit screen is of no benefit to me. Processing power? I'm not even getting close to the XL2+ capacity so irrelevant to me.

What would entice me to the 3? More amps! Not that I am using the 180+ I've already got ;-). If there were noticeable/significant enough tone improvements then that would also appeal to me but I seriously question how much better it can get.

The XL2+ through my Adam A7X's is just off the charts good - no, off the charts INCREDIBLE!!! I've owned all the big Strymons, the Eventide H9 and countless other pedals - all gone, replaced more than adequately by the XL2+ (I did keep my Belle Epoch DLX though!). I have also owned at least 30 probably a lot more valve amps and I'm down to 2 - the XL2+ is gold. It's a mature product with the bugs ironed out. I'd recommend spending big dollars on your studio monitors or amp/cab setup to get the most out what this unit (2 or 3) can do. No point having the latest and greatest unless you have an equally high quality speaker system. As for secondhand options? I started with an Ultra I bought used 2 months ago for $800 - I was prepared to risk that much into an old piece of technology and it all worked fine - so much so that I sold it for the same price and splashed out on the XL2+. I'm not sure about spending big bucks on used technology - there are big risks with that - would I buy a 2 year old PC secondhand for a lot of money? No Way!

Good luck with your decision.

I'd go with a used II, when the first III are shipping out people will drop the II for cheap. It was the same when people switched from Ultra to II. But the window was just 2-3 Months then the prices for the ultra went up again by like 100-200€. Most people will sell the II when they get III in their hand, only a few sell their II before they get the new device.

not owing a II I can only give you my thought process:

First its clearly obvious that the II XL+ and similar devices enjoy a ridiculously wide and deep following of use both professional and amateur. The III is not going to change that (as stated earlier) and if your buying decision prior to knowing the III was coming out was that it was going to work for you - that has not changed... and you got a good price on it. I was in this boat and was thinking about pulling the trigger but didn't because I felt that a new model was around the corner (just a guess... no crystal ball or anything).

I could still buy a XL II+ for a lot nicer price but my reason for doing going (committing) to the III was:
  • I am not buying up so its an initial investment (so I would prefer to START with more modern gear, as I tend to hold onto stuff for a long time).
  • There will be an insane amount of demos/how-tos and what not focused on the III and, over time, it will displace II content (although this will take a while). I also imagine that there will be some things you just cannot 'roll back' to because of the upgrade in technology. So again - my initial buy in with 'latest tech' is of interest.
  • Along with the newer tech, the history of software releases, and my knowledge of technology - the III was designed for what can be done today and probably 4-6 years in the future. The initial releases of software will clearly tap into some of that but I imagine there will be releases that open many more possibilities and there will be limits on how much of that can translate to the II line.
  • The improvements around the interfaces were very interesting to me and for my use cases seemed a better fit than the II would have been (although if I was in your shoes I am sure I could accommodate).
I think this ends up being a very personal question and there is NO right answer. ~$2000 is a pretty big investment for gear so you need to ask yourself what much value you can derive from it. I would say ALL of my reasons for going to the III are somewhat superficial.. with the possible exception of the last one. A true analysis of what I would use if for and what features I need would probably yield a different answer but I am in a position to be a bit whimsical.

My friends advice on selling stock options was, "sell as many as you need to sleep well at night.. it will all sort out in the wash eventually." sort of applies here. If you are going to obsess over the III and 'what should have been' then you know what you need to do. If you still feel happy with your technology decision then I am sure the II XL+ will serve you as well as its served many till now.

I would say the II is all you'll need (Or the Ax8.) There is a HUGE world in there for you to explore at a nice price. You can get another guitar with the money you've saved (or toddle off to an island for a long weekend.)

You will have to know yourself though. If you think in a year or so, you'll have started working on those deep parameters, more complex rigs, then there *may* be a time where you'll say 'I should have just sucked it up'.

You can't lose either way.

Apparently they even start you off with the latest Mesa IR and Mark 2C ++ model too with the Quantum Flute..bonus!

It seems to me that we are all going to spend the next weeks and months trying to convince ourselves that what we have, which does sound great, is all we will ever need, whether than be an XL or an AX8. Then the new firmwares will drop on the 3 and the II series will stop progressing and everyone will desire the latest stuff. Surely within a year the sounds from the III will be vastly improved over what we have now on our II series.

If I were buying now, I’d absolutely get the III - knowing you’ll get updates for years to come and no wishing you’d just spent that extra 1k. Most folk here will upgrade eventually, we are just trying to convince ourselves we don’t need to, I can’t afford to, I don’t even gig, but I know that this time next year I’ll be selling my XL to go III.

The AX8 *AND* the III. One for your highly portable needs and the other for the rest. The III is likely to be the flagship for the next 7 years or so and will get all the love. That's like $350/year of killer gear.

Whatever you decide to get buy new. Support FAS so they can develop new stuff. It's better for all of us that way at least if you can afford it.

You said you never bought any Fractal gear more than once...if you buy more than one version of the AxeFx you’re buying it more than once.
Nope. In that case, I’m buying a different unit with enhanced capabilities. And I never have to buy anything. If I didn’t spend another dime, I’d still have the same Axe-fx II that I had yesterday.

I notice people keep saying - the II is all you need. You don't need the III unless you want to dig into deep parameters and stuff. That's nonsense. The II is all you need if you want to jump onto the modeller train but probably never see another major firmware advancement. The III is the one to buy if you want another 5 years of progression like we saw on the II through its life. If you can afford it, wait for the III and enjoy all those updates and improvements.

One thing to keep in mind, especially if you are in Europe, the wait will likely be long. Last time around I sold my Axe Ultra and got on the G66 wait-list immediately I was able. My number came up 6 months later. In that time I'd given up waiting (I had no other amps) and had a custom PWE Event Horizon 3 built up and shipped to me from Canada. I played that for a year before going back to the Axe. I'll not be selling my II immediately this time!

Back
Top Bottom