III on the Floor

What's better, 4 on the floor or three on the tree?

I'd love to have both. The 3 has a bunch of stuff I'll never use, but some of the improvements will make life sooo much easier that it's worth lugging around the extra hardware. Just depends what the next floor model brings.

Ok, I admit my laptop comparison was dumb, but I’m very encouraged by AlbertAs comments on the new chips thermals and potential for the floor. :).

Well, back then I started to buy rack units to stop using pedals and cheap multieffects boards. As a result I accumulated since then a lot of MIDI peadalboards and don't plan to have units on the ground ever again.

Floor model is nice, but much like the AX8 I worry it’ll still be a “little brother” in terms of capability. Who am I kidding, I’ll buy the three, and then sell it when the floor model comes out...and around and around and around...

Floor model is nice, but much like the AX8 I worry it’ll still be a “little brother” in terms of capability. Who am I kidding, I’ll buy the three, and then sell it when the floor model comes out...and around and around and around...

I know this isn’t a thread about which format is better, but maybe you could think about it again with an open mind and reconsider your habits/approach?

I used to be of the same opinion about floor vs rack at one time. Now I see how wrong I was, and how much less we need to haul for our gigs. And how much easier it is to connect/disconnect.

That's what I did with the AX8. Love that they hold their value so well that you don't lose your a$$ when you switch over. Although this time I may just do both.

I'd be more inclined to buy the floor unit. Or maybe a screenless 1U version if that's ever happening.
A 3U is just too big... Stayin with the Axe 2 ;)

Biggest things that have kept me from switching from the Axe II to the AX8 is the lack of USB audio and a dedicated headphone out. I use those constantly on my XL. I would LOVE to see a floor version of the III, even if it has scaled back analog I/O. Two stereo ins and outs like the AX8 is plenty for me personally. If they could squeeze the full functionality of the III into a floor model, even better. I'd totally be willing to pay more for it too, since it would be taking the place of the rackmount III and an FC.

Problem is that I bet the III will soon start to diferentiate from the II. Maybe in reality soundwise it might not show that much. If amps sound virtually the same on the II as they do on the III sales will be much weaker then on the ULTRA vs II era.

edit - IMO of course... I don't know shit :D

I have no desire for a rack unit at this point, extra stuff at carry, extra cords to plug in. I’ll be waiting for a floor version. I love my Ax8 right now!!’

I could use a unit that is more limited than the Axe-Fx 3 but at the same time I don't want to use it on the floor. I would rather have something I can put on top of a cab for knob control and then have a separate footswitch on the floor.

So I say give me a smaller rack unit or a desktop box.

I had an XL+, sold it to get an AX8, didn’t like the limitations of CPU (couldn’t get a lot of my tones in) and that only one amp. So I sold it and got my XL+ back. A floor unit would have to be very close in terms of capability for me....but that’s me. Different strokes...so I get why they have different units and why they all have their place.

I find modeling communities quite funny at times. I mean I look at the III and think "Ok, more horsepower - check", with regards to the average user. I think a lot of people that gravitate towards these products are just plain old gear heads ;) CLIFF TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!

I'm in IT and work with all kinds of hot stuff that needs cooling, it's very possible that a floor unit of the III might be impractical due to heat and design constraints at the moment. How big would it need to be for proper air flow? What temps are we talking about? It's just not as simple as throwing the rack components in a floor unit.

For me personally I'll be waiting 6+ months for the product to get it's first FW and some maturity to see what the mass produced versions look like in regards to quality control, bugs etc.

I sold my Axe II Mark I plus MFC to get an AX8. I always felt the rack unit was overkill for me. For live use the AX8 is ok, but the limitations are there. So I considered buying a XL+ for my home studio. What held me off was again the limitations, on a higher level though. Now with the III...on the waitlist! Just want to stay on top of this amazing journey. No plans to carry the III to a gig, way too bulky, the AX8 is a keeper. Until the AX8-III.

I sold my Axe II Mark I plus MFC to get an AX8. I always felt the rack unit was overkill for me. For live use the AX8 is ok, but the limitations are there. So I considered buying a XL+ for my home studio. What held me off was again the limitations, on a higher level though. Now with the III...on the waitlist! Just want to stay on top of this amazing journey. No plans to carry the III to a gig, way too bulky, the AX8 is a keeper. Until the AX8-III.

What are these limitations you speak of? I mean seriously ;)

Processing power limitations. I do not use dual amp setups or a lot of effects, but it´s easy to hit the ceiling on the AX8 and also on the II. Just dial up some ultra-res cabs and high-quality reverb etc., dang! Yeah, I can use spring reverb instead...I can also drive a Ferrari at 10 mph...

I'm on the list for a 3. I will get it when they let me. I just got the AX8 for portability. I still use my 2 XL's = Love the POWER! I doubt i will sell the 3 when a new AX8 killer arrives.

Axe 8 is exactly what it should be, a scaled down axe2. I'm scared to death my rjm will get a beer spilled on it, or something. I wouldnt be able to concentrate with anything more expensive on the floor. IMHO.

Let's say down the road , in the distant future ( or not so distant ) the AX8 is replaced with a new version.
The AX8 sounds amazing. If a new model is made someday , the AX8 will STILL sound amazing.
What a great ( backup ) , or a pedal to keep at a practice spot , or - etc.
I can't see parting with it , regardless.
It took me a few hours after finding out about the III , before I got on the wait list , because I am soooo content with my AX8.
But , I broke down and HAD to do it. It'll find a spot in my rack in the studio. It has MORE than I need , but SOME of what I want , AND it will have anything and everything FAS can throw at it.
Still love my AX8 though !

Back
Top Bottom