III on the Floor

I can totally see the keystones enabling a floor solution.

Well great then. They are more powerful though, and may have less heat per MFLOPS or whatever, but a lot overall. Anyway, I don't know, just shared the information I read from Cliff a while ago. If everything is changed now - awesome. I certainly wouldn't object if you guys got your floor III.

There's the issue with the price, however. It has to be lower for the floor unit.

Well great then. They are more powerful though, and may have less heat per MFLOPS or whatever, but a lot overall. Anyway, I don't know, just shared the information I read from Cliff a while ago. If everything is changed now - awesome. I certainly wouldn't object if you guys got your floor III.

There's the issue with the price, however. It has to be lower for the floor unit.

I don't care what the floor version will cost I'd buy it. its to perfect for my needs.

I don't care what the floor version will cost I'd buy it. its to perfect for my needs.

That's like one of the most frustrating things in the world though. I could easily pay more for a lot of things with extra features but nobody builds them because I myself and a few weirdos like me do not justify the development and other costs. Typical floor unit buyers will need a lower price point, I suspect.

Another AX8 user here and I love it, but the extra features and options the III offers has got me very seriously thinking about going for it & I'm on the G66 waiting list.

I rarely tweak on the AX8 itself when playing so it being in a rack doesn't bother me too much & being a shallower unit it should fit in a smaller rack case.

It might mean an extra trip from the car when setting up, but I can live with that.

With the new foot controller the footprint on the floor will still be minimal.

Given the sheer power of the III and how long the 2 has been going with updates, I'm confident this is a purchase that will keep me going for many years. Until this came out the AX8 had killed my desire for buying amps and effects.

I'm with you. With the bigger display, it would have to be a bigger unit than the AX8. Fun to speculate, but let them get the AxeIII out the door first! I say that I'm not sure I'll purchase the III, but I'm fooling myself. I know the second I get that email I'll be clicking the "Buy" button. I'm so predictable...

I’d buy a full featured floor version even if it cost more than the rack (which it would have to, given that it would be the rack and floor controller in one).

Nope, gimme rack or gimme death.

I was the same way, then I got a hernia, and had surgery. My rack is heavy. the Ax8 is just perfect for these little bars that I play. They have really small stages. Of course I still play church.

Its funny, I have been going through different emotions the last few days. Excited for others as this may be their first purchase ever of a fractal product, but extremely sad at the same time that I won't be chasing the dragon this time around. I am so happy and content right now, with what I have, that all I would be doing is chasing for the chase, not because there is some flaw or need that would fix something in my current rig. The stuff we have holds up folks.

I am a fractal brother for life. I love how I get texts from folks who no longer have fractal products, but still feel a bond with the company. That tells you something about the company, the stuff they sale and the community built up around it . I am on every day, I mean every day. I follow the cycles of newbies coming on all excited about their new tool, wanting to know the latest, and There's Chris, right on schedule...lol

Please continue to Rock on!!!

Sorry, I gotta call bullshit on that. Because thin laptops and tablets. Here's one with a Core i7 that's under 9mm thick: https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-swift-7-2018/preview/
It’s not BS.

The processors used in Fractal’s rack-mounted products get very hot. They need a substantial fan and heat sink to dissipate that heat, beyond what a laptop fan can provide. That alone puts a minimum-height restriction on a floor unit. But there’s more...

You don’t want to put an air-breathing device on the floor, so it has to be fully enclosed. That means you have to have enough air volume in the case to dissipate that heat. And the case has to have enough surface area to radiate that heat into the room.

All of those things define a minimum size that most people would object to in a floor unit.

Why do you say that? Boss just introduced a full blown $1k floor modeler similar to the helix after that things success. Seems to me there's demand for high end floor boards.

Helix, AFAIR, has the same DSP as AX8 does. Dunno about this Boss thing, but I'd venture to guess it's about the same thing or less. Those aren't high end really. Not even by Axe II standard, let alone III.

Back
Top Bottom