III on the Floor

Robboman

Fractal Fanatic
How many of you guys will buy the III rack ASAP and then sell it later on to buy the inevitable floor-based version when it arrives?

I'm not really asking which format is better, I know there are good reasons for both and we all have different reasons and use cases.

What I mean is, for those of you who, like me, really prefer a floor-based unit, how many of you will buy the III rack unit anyway, because it will be out first and you just HAVE to have it?

I'm very seriously considering it. I'm excitable, easily amused and I like gear. Just wondering how crazy I am relatively speaking.

The III has sooooo much horsepower that I really don't know what to do with. I might buy the III and then sell it for an AX8-2, when it comes.

one nice thing about the rack is if you're using any other rack gear like myself so all cabling and power is in the rack. One cable to the MFC or FC and that's it. However, for me I'll jump on the next floor unit just to decrease the size (currently 6u for me). I do hope the floor unit is available oh so SOON. I'm not sure I can spend the $$ on the rack and fc. 1000 bucks just to get to the rack and then another couple hundred I'm guessing for the FC after selling the MFC.

it has crossed my mind to do this. It has also crossed my mind to buy the iii and save to have both. Honestly I would love 2 AX12's (I am taking the liberty of assuming the next one might be 12 switches. Currently we have 11 but three are stuck doing functions. If the new FC are an indicator we can easily have an AX12 and let us make all buttons anything we want)

Why even consider buying the III if its main benefit is power and I/O, and you’re happier with a floor unit? Any floor unit will be less powerful, and if you’re okay with AX8, what’s the point? They’ll sound the same for a while at least.

Im tempted to get the III, even though i sold AXE II to get AX8 when it came out. Not sure if i will pull the trigger yet, The floor version would be so much better for me. I hope they make it soon.

I'm going to wait for the FW to mature at the least. So either black Friday or mark II revamp.

Any floor unit will be less powerful, and if you’re okay with AX8, what’s the point? They’ll sound the same for a while at least.

I had a II, sold it as well as my FX8 when I got the AX8. If I have any complaint about FX8 and AX8, it's the lacking CPU. Doesn't take much in a preset to run out. I never had that issue with the II.

I see no reason other than market demand why they couldn't make a full-blown, fully-powerful floor unit that is functionally equal to the Axe-Fx III. That's what I want, I've used floor processors for years and never managed to wrecked one by stepping on it or spilling beer or anything. There's no precedent for a $3000-ish floor processor, so I'm not sure they would release such a thing.. but I'd buy one!

Even if they go with a scaled-back floor unit (like the AX8 compared to the II), it will likely still be twice as powerful as the AX8 so I'm in.

Last edited:
I'm on the waiting list for the III, but I may pass and wait to see what the inevitable update to the AX8 brings. But how knows, that could be another year or more...

Even if I do buy the III, I will not be selling my AX8 and plan to continue using it at Church. The all-in-one convince trumps the rack/footswitch setup for me.

Keeping my AX-8 until the next floor version comes out. The III looks nice, but it's a bit too big and way overkill for me...

That reason is cooling.

? I don't get it.

Rack units are exposed only by front and back panel when sandwiched in a rack, plus they are exposed to ambient heat from other rack gear. Floor unit stands off floor with rubber feet and has all sides exposed otherwise.

If a fan is used/necessary, a floor unit does not have enough air space inside the case for a fan to work correctly to cool the components.

Back
Top Bottom