IIC++

I'm using this guy for all of my bands heavier tunes. It has a Chevelle vibe to it, which was basically I was looking for. We aren't a metal band, by any definition, but we have a few songs that go into the harder rock territory, and this amp just does exactly what I needed for those songs.

I'm using this guy for all of my bands heavier tunes. It has a Chevelle vibe to it, which was basically I was looking for. We aren't a metal band, by any definition, but we have a few songs that go into the harder rock territory, and this amp just does exactly what I needed for those songs.

Slightly OT but I think Chevelle is one of the most under-rated bands out there.

Great tunes and even better guitar sounds.

Mesa peeps - does this sound more like a MkIIC+ or a Mk IV ?

Yup, the IIC++ is still my favorite for heavy rhythm and I don't see that changing. The crunch sounds are incredible too. I'm sure I could dial it in for leads too, but I'm too happy with USA Lead to bother.

I read that before. No one really knows the story in that thread. I was just curious if anything else popped up and I missed it.

I thought the story was it was the IIC+ model from an earlier firmware, 17.x?, and the guys in the Metallica crew asked for it back?

What info is left out?

I read that before. No one really knows the story in that thread. I was just curious if anything else popped up and I missed it.
The guy sharing the info is Metallica's guitar tech so saying no one really knows the story is not accurate

Slightly OT but I think Chevelle is one of the most under-rated bands out there.

I saw Chevelle live, last year, and spent some time after the set looking at some of his amp setting from in front of the stage, so I kinda had an idea as to what he was doing to get his overall basic heavy tone when I started.

So, concerning tube amps... Having only minor in store experience with real Mark IV's and V, and that one time I borrowed a friends Mk II combo for a bit, I'd actually say that in my experience, the MkIIC++ Axe-FX model has gotten me closer to Chevelle's tone than any tube amp I've ever played. BUT I've had lots of time to mess with the Mk IIC++ model. On top of that, I was able to try lots of cabs till I found the perfect one, which personally, I've found is usually where that final bit of tone is hiding when I'm trying to get a certain tone.

As for the Mk IV Axe model. I think you could get it there, with a bit of advanced tab work, but the MkIIC++ seems to get there easier from default/reset. I didn't mess with anything advanced outside of setting crunch to 20%, just cause I like a tiny bit more grunge. I didn't even messed with the "built in" (Mark) EQ, it's set flat.

Also, while I got pretty spot on with a few different songs, (in Drop D, so it was "as close as I could" without going the full monty) the tone I decided on for my songs is more just "in the flavor", and not really an exact clone. Plus, he's never really been very consistent, even from song to song on a single album. He kinda just has a flavor, as it is.

Not a Chevelle fan by any stretch and know next to nothing about them (I don't even know if they are still a band:rolleyes:), but I do remember reading that they used Mark IV's to get their heavy tones. This was several years ago though, and before the release of the Mark V.

Not a Chevelle fan by any stretch and know next to nothing about them (I don't even know if they are still a band:rolleyes:), but I do remember reading that they used Mark IV's to get their heavy tones. This was several years ago though, and before the release of the Mark V.

Yes, they are defiantly still a band, they have a new album coming out soon, well, it may already be out, I've been busy, and not exactly paying any attention to whats come out. (Are we still waiting on new Tool?) Either way, he definitely still uses Mk IV's, but he also uses Mk V, as well.

Yes, they are defiantly still a band, they have a new album coming out soon, well, it may already be out, I've been busy, and not exactly paying any attention to whats come out. (Are we still waiting on new Tool?) Either way, he definitely still uses Mk IV's, but he also uses Mk V, as well.
Been freakin waiting for the new Tool for a few years now. I heard that 2 minute clip of that tune Nexxuss, I'd say at least two years ago.. Killin me.

I've read and seen interviews that he used the Mark IV on that album. I LOVE that tone, it's saturated and heavy but not really scooped and to my ears it seems like there's a clean element to it, almost like blended in. Right now that tone, KSE End of the Heartache tone and the tone on Tools 10k Days are my faves for heavier "high gain" tones.

Back
Top Bottom