II 2 III migrator let down by FAS USB Win driver

Per Boysen

Inspired
Hi guys,

After almost a decade I retired my old Axe II and popped in the Axe III that arrived today. Wow, had I known it sounds this much better I would have upgraded long ago :)

I have an issue though; the USB driver for my Windows 7 machine doesn't seem to install when I download the installer. Any ideas?

No immediate problems though, I can keep on recording with the III by SPDIF through my Apollo Twin USB interface at 48kHz. But at one point I need to start migrating my looper and delay block oriented multi patches and for that, I really need the USB functionality.

Hi guys,

After almost a decade I retired my old Axe II and popped in the Axe III that arrived today. Wow, had I known it sounds this much better I would have upgraded long ago :)

I have an issue though; the USB driver for my Windows 7 machine doesn't seem to install when I download the installer. Any ideas?

No immediate problems though, I can keep on recording with the III by SPDIF through my Apollo Twin USB interface at 48kHz. But at one point I need to start migrating my looper and delay block oriented multi patches and for that, I really need the USB functionality.
Wish I could help, but thankfully I’m a Mac buy, we go driverless. Bet that stick sounds bitchen thru the III !

Thanks. I'll try to download with my MBP and move it over on a USB stick. Or with a Win 10 lappy. I suspect it may be a Norton Antivirus issue on this studio desktop machine.

Hi guys,

Much like you needed to upgrade to the FX3 you should also upgrade to Windows 10.

I Recommend upgrading to Windows 7, as it will no longer be supported very soon, (estimated January 14, 2020).
Go here to read: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4057281/windows-7-support-will-end-on-january-14-2020
If you decide you want to upgrade to Windows 10, it is still free for a little while longer. You just have to have an activated version of Windows 7 or 8.
Go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10.
  1. Select Download tool now, and select Run. You need to be an administrator to run this tool.
  2. On the License terms page, if you accept the license terms, select Accept.
  3. On the What do you want to do? page, select Upgrade this PC now, and then select Next.
  4. After downloading and installing, the tool will walk you through how to set up Windows 10 on your PC.

Hi guys,

Windows 7 is due to reach End Of Life (EOL) on 14 January 2020 (Yes, tomorrow). So you better get cracking on downloading any driver updates.

Regardless, even "if" you get it working, you can enjoy it for the remaining "supported" few hours.

It might just be time to move on. Upgraded resistance has a painful price. Just upgrade, it simply works great on Windows 10.

Good luck!

What exactly happens when you try to run the driver installer? Do you get any error messages? You mention Norton AV, which might very well be interfering - have tried to disable it before starting the installer?

As an aside, while the others are correct that Windows 7 is EOL and upgrading to Windows 10 is the way to go in general, that of course does not mean that you have to update as long as you know what you're doing. For example, the PC in my rehearsal room is on an ancient Windows 7 version (pre-SP1), but that doesn't matter as it's not connected to the internet and works just fine for recording demos.

Well, This one is in my court. I am a computer engineer since the 80's... Sometimes when a USB device does not install correctly if falls on an old chipset driver. If you truly want to continue running Windows 7 for now and the unit has an intel chipset, go to intel.com. Download the latest drivers for your PC and try again. The same falls on AMD units.

Thank you guys, I found the one - of my three - Microsoft accounts where I have purchased most stuff in the past and managed to get the Windows 10 Home into the shopping cart. But the Buy button is greyed out. Maybe because it is not business hours here in Sweden at the moment? I'll log in tomorrow and see if I can pay and download it. Ops, the webshop says "delivery 3 - 4 days", so I guess there is no download option. That sucks, but I can do other work while waiting for the CD (?) to arrive. Luckily this studio machine has a CD cart :) No other of my machines have. Except for the MacBook pro from 2011. I need to upgrade this PC to W10 due to other software that has hinted about "maybe not working correctly under Win7"

Change of plans. The FAS drivers are installed now. The problem was that Win 7 doesn't unzip archives automatically. I searched out the zip file and unzipped it with a third-party zip utility. Great! Now I got AXE-EDIT III up and running and after a few hours sleep I will start importing a few dozen AXD II patches (if it is possible, would save me some time compared to reprogram from scratch).

Thank you for the advice! I'm holding off upgrading to Windows 10 for now, because it turned out to be a bit expensive and I might need to get a new desktop PC in a while (with W10 pre-installed)

Back
Top Bottom