Ignoring the amp models: "This thing is a monster"

Chris Hurley

Power User
I've been a Fractal user for a long time now. The headline amp modelling feature is easily the best in the business as far as I'm concerned and I've tried all the major players multiple times. As much as I love the Axe-FX III for the amp models, I'm really appreciating the other features right now. Stuff that doesn't get as much fanfare and really deserves to.

I'm into the Randall/Synergy modular preamp stuff right now. There is something about the tactile experience that I enjoy as much as the tone, and the tone can be great when all the pieces come together. I've dialed the Fractal models to where I couldn't tell them apart but the knobs on a regular amp scratch a certain itch for me that I enjoy scratching.

When I'm playing a more traditional tube amp setup, there are still a lot of utility features that I need and appreciate. Any one feature can usually be had easily enough but when you add a few together, you start to wonder "I wish there was something that could do a couple of these things at one time."

I searched and searched and never found anything that even approached what the Axe-FX III can do as a "Tube Amp Improver", even if you don't use the models. I remember being somewhat disappointed when I read of a famous artist that was using the Fractal "just for effects" but man it can do a lot in that duty.

* EQ before and after the amp... This is just huge right here. It turns 1 amp into 10 or 20 amps.

* Routing to different outputs for different connections... Need a FOH feed? You've got it. Want a wet/dry/wet rig? no problem. It has so much I/O- you've got boxes of swiss army knives.

* xCM: Sure you can do 4CM to swap your external preamp in and out, but the AF3 has so much I/O that you can switch in multiple preamps. I have a preset that I used with my amp head and Randall RM4 (4 slot tube preamp box) where I could switch between Fractal preamps, the amp head preamp or the RM4 preamps, with MIDI switching the RM4 in and on. 6CM? I use the same stereo send pair to go to my amp in and the RM4 input, and do the same with the returns so that I'm getting double duty from that loop.

* Effects! Whatever you need is in there. And I mean whatever you need. If its not in there, there is enough stuff to make whatever you need.

It solves so many problems in one box. Oh yeah, and it dabbles in amp modelling too from time to time.

As Scott Peterson famously said "This thing is a monster!" Well worth the money and easily the best music gear purchase ever.

Last edited:
I completely agree. I have a Swart stereo amp, and just having the ability to use it as a virtual pedalboard that can send individual chains of effects to each side of the amp, with channels and scenes on everything is amazing. Just so, so versatile.

90% of my playing still just uses the AF3 alone though!

Axefx3 is a rare instance where I see the best solution also being the cheapest solution from a value perspective - I get that it can be a lot to spend on a modeller initially, but if you're in the market for a premium rack based modeller, Axefx is a really good value for what you get out of it.

Yup - between Axefx, online shopping, and being a lefty player, I have no reason any more to go out to guitar stores, though I miss the days I used to make my weekly trek to check out what's new etc

Ha! I am a lefty too. Except for the occasional squire, or Yoko guitar there isn’t a lot to try out, so for the guitar department it wasn’t worth a trip. Now with the axe obsoleting all pedals, amps and speakers all you can do is look at slides, strings and capos. Lol.

Back in the pre-pandemic world when I'd go to a guitar store and either play through an amp or hear someone playing through an amp, I'd always think "I like my sound better" and that was with the AX8. With the III it's even better. I never ever look at amps or effect pedals anymore.

LMAO..... I haven't had any GAS since I bought the AxeFX3 almost 2 years ago!! I just play a lot more and tweak. It's actually saving me $$$$ :)

To the OP. I never thought of that. Been wondering what to do with my tube amps. Guess I could bypass the amp and cab modelling and use drives and effects pedals when I want to switch up from FRFRs to big iron.

I had to add in one of my favorite uses:

xCM: Sure you can do 4CM to swap your external preamp in and out, but the AF3 has so much I/O that you can switch in multiple preamps. I have a preset that I used with my amp head and Randall RM4 (4 slot tube preamp box) where I could switch between Fractal preamps, the amp head preamp or the RM4 preamps, with MIDI switching the RM4 in and on. 6CM? I use the same stereo send pair to go to my amp in and the RM4 input, and do the same with the returns so that I'm getting double duty from that loop.

I had it set up with scenes to switch all the different stuff around:
Scene 1: RM4 Channel 1 (Blackface Module)
Scene 2: RM4 Channel 2 (Brahma Module)
Scene 3: RM4 Channel 3 (Friedman BE Module)
Scene 4: RM4 Channel 4 (Mr. Scary Module)
Scene 5: Amp head preamp, RM4 on Channel 1 (to kill the hiss the other modules might have)
Scene 6: Fractal Atomica Model
Scene 7: RM4 Brahma and Fractal Atomica at the same time.

Cool tools.

"You can pry my tube amps, guitar cabs AND Fractal from my cold dead hands!!"

I am new to Fractal, played tube amps long enough to be considered old lol. What I like the most out of the axe3 has nothing to do with a tube amp OR that I am after that sound or that feel. I prefer how the axe 3 sounds period. I think it's cool how so many like to replicate the tube amps from every decade praticly and it's quite impressive how close if not identical it gets. The magic for me is a tube amp CAN not do what an axe 3 does., not the other way around. It sure makes things easier with a couple cables and a guitar, and with even one frfr. The sound tho... what a way to experience loud or quiet guitar playing, amazing!!

I am new to Fractal, played tube amps long enough to be considered old lol. What I like the most out of the axe3 has nothing to do with a tube amp OR that I am after that sound or that feel. I prefer how the axe 3 sounds period. I think it's cool how so many like to replicate the tube amps from every decade praticly and it's quite impressive how close if not identical it gets. The magic for me is a tube amp CAN not do what an axe 3 does., not the other way around. It sure makes things easier with a couple cables and a guitar, and with even one frfr. The sound tho... what a way to experience loud or quiet guitar playing, amazing!!
It is such a high value device and excels in so many applications. Even if you don't need one particular thing it does, it kills in so many other areas that the value is still astronomical.

It is such a high value device and excels in so many applications. Even if you don't need one particular thing it does, it kills in so many other areas that the value is still astronomical.
Yeah man, totally pleased. Never thought I could see myself playing thru a wedge, or correctly stated, frfr, and be digging the tone so much! Stoked

Back
Top Bottom