Ignoring the amp models: "This thing is a monster"

I use my Axe-Fx III as 4 cable method with my Bogner XTC in the effects loop running parallel and it sounds amazing. Agree with all of the above.
With all the amps you seem to know personally for what you do, the choice of a Bogner XTC has my attention. I mean this with open ears, why do you prefer this maker and this model? In general? What do you personally do with it? Thanks and ca'nt wait for the Naked updates!

With all the amps you seem to know personally for what you do, the choice of a Bogner XTC has my attention. I mean this with open ears, why do you prefer this maker and this model? In general? What do you personally do with it? Thanks and ca'nt wait for the Naked updates!
@Tremonti - Bogner Ecstasy 101b vintage style.... it's a 3 (technically 4) channel, EL34 tube amp.

It has a nice clean, a Plexi Mode that is great for lower gain sounds (works great with fuzz/overdrive pedals too), a Blue channel crunch for classic Brit-type rock, and a rRed channel that can cover Van Halen and more gainer sounds.

It likes Les Pauls, Tele, and Strats, which is cool. I use the high input jack.

It takes pedals very well (it loves my Klon) and it has a great effects loop I use for wet/parallel blends (not series) that does not mess up your tone. The Axe-FX III is the perfect effects processor to match with it. That an FC-12 or an RJM Mastermind GT16 or GT22 and you can "do i all" -- except for scooped intense metal stuff, for that get a Diezel VH4.

It's loud as f*** if you need it to be, but the master volume works great. It has a footswitch controllable Boost function on it that really makes it more flexible to shape a channel's gain level, some excursion controls to control the bass (like a 3 switch Depth control), plus some ability to apply different bright caps. It is also has a Class A mode, and you can step down the tubes to half power, get it from tight and loud to squishy and soft. I find that, aside from a metal thing, I can do just about any gig with this amp -- be heard -- and it sounds just glorious to me. Bottom line, it just makes ya want play when you plug into it!

Negatives are only that is a big size head you gotta haul around, and it is pricey (for good reason) - I think $2900.

If I could not have the Bogner Ecstasy, I'd probably get a Diezel VH4 -- those are super versatile tone-wise as well, from all I can tell.

@Tremonti - Bogner Ecstasy 101b vintage style.... it's a 3 (technically 4) channel, EL34 tube amp.

It has a nice clean, a Plexi Mode that is great for lower gain sounds (works great with fuzz/overdrive pedals too), a Blue channel crunch for classic Brit-type rock, and a rRed channel that can cover Van Halen and more gainer sounds.

It likes Les Pauls, Tele, and Strats, which is cool. I use the high input jack.

It takes pedals very well (it loves my Klon) and it has a great effects loop I use for wet/parallel blends (not series) that does not mess up your tone. The Axe-FX III is the perfect effects processor to match with it. That an FC-12 or an RJM Mastermind GT16 or GT22 and you can "do i all" -- except for scooped intense metal stuff, for that get a Diezel VH4.

It's loud as f*** if you need it to be, but the master volume works great. It has a footswitch controllable Boost function on it that really makes it more flexible to shape a channel's gain level, some excursion controls to control the bass (like a 3 switch Depth control), plus some ability to apply different bright caps. It is also has a Class A mode, and you can step down the tubes to half power, get it from tight and loud to squishy and soft. I find that, aside from a metal thing, I can do just about any gig with this amp -- be heard -- and it sounds just glorious to me. Bottom line, it just makes ya want play when you plug into it!

Negatives are only that is a big size head you gotta haul around, and it is pricey (for good reason) - I think $2900.

If I could not have the Bogner Ecstasy, I'd probably get a Diezel VH4 -- those are super versatile tone-wise as well, from all I can tell.
I agree with everything said here. The XTC 101b is, IMO, the best-sounding, most versatile tube head available. The Axe-FX is the best-sounding, most versatile digital rig available. If you have this pair, you really don't need much else. All of my other amps and FX have been obsoleted by these two. For my workload versatility is key, and these are the only two rigs that don't leave me feeling like I wished I had just that one more sound on tap.

Back
Top Bottom