• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Wish "Ignore Scene change" tick for blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeMind

Forum Addict
Scenes are a wonderful thing.
Though, a user may want some blocks to not be affected by a scene change, and keep the same state in all scenes.
So there could be an "Ignore scene change" switch somewhere on the block, that makes it so, that it keeps the present channel and bypass state if the user jumps around in scenes.

Use examples:

Example 1: A user may want to turn on/off a "drive" block as a boost, globally for all scenes. Normally, the user may need to set up extra scenes, with the boost bypassed or not, or manually turn the boost on when jumping to a scene where it's bypassed. Not ideal.

Example 2: Since FM3 has limited pedal inputs, I had an idea that I would have one Expression pedal, and an FC button would cycle what the pedal does: Whammy/Wah/Volume/Formant.
This could be achieved by changing the channel on a Multiplex block. However, the Multiplex block will reset with each Scene change, and change the Expression pedal function back to default each time, which is not cool.

guitarnerdswe

Forum Addict
Probably my top wish for a long time. Seems like more people are getting into the idea. Personally, I'd really prefer it if the bypass and channel select "lock/freeze/exclude" where kept separate.

For instance, one might want to select a certain delay channel that is a slap and keep that slap across all scenes, but only have it activated on the scenes that are lead specific. Or have the same phaser or tremolo channel on the rhythm tones, but not on the lead ones.

yek

While I’m in favor of the overall idea, I probably would not support such deep level of configuration. I'd have to configure each block to "survive" or not, and if it applies to bypass or channel or both, and then later remember how it's set ... Diminishing returns ...

guitarnerdswe

Forum Addict
While I’m in favor of the overall idea, I probably would not support such deep level of configuration. I'd have to configure each block to "survive" or not, and if it applies to bypass or channel or both, and then later remember how it's set ... Diminishing returns ...
An idea would to have a separate page under controllers where you have a list of all the block (or just the blocks in the particular preset), where you can select "lock" for bypass, channel or both. The default would of course be none to make it simpler if you don't want to use the feature.

jefferski

Fractal Fanatic
An idea would to have a separate page under controllers where you have a list of all the block (or just the blocks in the particular preset), where you can select "lock" for bypass, channel or both. The default would of course be none to make it simpler if you don't want to use the feature.
If it was easy enough for FAS to program, it sounds like a simple implementation for users. I'd almost always go w/ none, because that's how I design my presets, but I suppose I'd come up w/ some scenarios where having a block ignore would be helpful. And I can see how others can find it useful.

Most bands play songs that have a regular form - verse, chorus, solos, breaks, etc. All those parts can be set up beforehand, and there won't be an issue of needing some effect to not follow the scene changes. This is what scenes are designed for - preplanned configurations within the preset. When I play more improv style music I often roll with just a base scene for the song, and run it like a pedal board.

The potential issue is that since so many people have different ways they want to use it, it'll still run into problems such as when people will want to choose to kick on the delay (etc), want it to stay on through scene changes, but then they still want it to turn off when they go back to their base setup (i.e. Scene 1). So they'll have to hit multiple switches to get back to it anyway. I'm all for having options, but that flexibility comes with its own set of conditions.

guitarnerdswe

Forum Addict
If it was easy enough for FAS to program, it sounds like a simple implementation for users. I'd almost always go w/ none, because that's how I design my presets, but I suppose I'd come up w/ some scenarios where having a block ignore would be helpful. And I can see how others can find it useful.

Most bands play songs that have a regular form - verse, chorus, solos, breaks, etc. All those parts can be set up beforehand, and there won't be an issue of needing some effect to not follow the scene changes. This is what scenes are designed for - preplanned configurations within the preset. When I play more improv style music I often roll with just a base scene for the song, and run it like a pedal board.

The potential issue is that since so many people have different ways they want to use it, it'll still run into problems such as when people will want to choose to kick on the delay (etc), want it to stay on through scene changes, but then they still want it to turn off when they go back to their base setup (i.e. Scene 1). So they'll have to hit multiple switches to get back to it anyway. I'm all for having options, but that flexibility comes with its own set of conditions.
Personally, I would probably just use such a feature to lock channels. Using set lists, songs or even a preset per song doesn't work for me since I rarely see a set list at a gig. Even if there is one, 2 songs in and we're calling out songs anyways. So a kitchen sink preset has been my go to for 10+ years. So I need to be really flexible and quick about changing tones.

That's why the digital version of pedalboard with pedal effects with presets (like Strymon, Eventide etc) connected to a programmable loop switcher is the ideal set up for me. I can have my basic sounds in 8 scenes, and quickly select what type of delay, overdrive, phaser, tremolo etc the current song needs, and not have to re-select the channels every time I change scenes during the song. If I go for a slap delay, that's my delay for that song, regardless of scene. Same with a drive, modulation effects etc. It's the quickest way to make set ups of different tones on the fly in my case.

And yeah, if you ever need to have a preset go back to the original state, you can just reload it. I was thinking of doing this myself, since I do have certain channels of blocks I use more than others. Reloading the preset would take care of the problem you described.

chris

Legend!
Yeah I think most people want to have Scenes only change the fundamental tone. Amp, cab, mayyybe an effect. But the other effects can just turned on and off when needed. And if your delay is on and you change tones, the delay is on there too.

I’ve definitely desired this behavior and would use the “save” function on the MFC with the Axe2 to kinda do something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom