IGNORE , ...... priceless

1poorplayer

Power User
Lots of great advice and knowledge being shared here. Overall , a good bunch of people that share a common bond , in their love of music and great guitar tone.

For the very small handful of dingle berries who post frequently , and attempt to negate others opinions , I have found the IGNORE option , and it is awesome. It's like they're not even there !

Wouldn't it be great , if we had this feature in everyday life......

i use it a lot too, and you can still click to see what someone has said. i use it more like a "you had trouble with this guy before" feature though, just so i know what to expect if i need to reply.

but then again, the OP can't see this post ;)

Not a user of ignore functions, here or elsewhere. The only exception I would make is a spambot, and those are rare nowadays.

Winds of change and all that. This is still the greatest forum on the internet. A very low ratio of trolls and even when there are trolls they're usually not attacking anyone personally. I've been here for years and I've seen the good and the bad. Actually I think I've been both the good and bad. I would like to think that many good things have come because of the bad also. Whining about the Axe-Fx not being able to do this and that has eventually made the Axe-Fx being capable of doing a thing or two it couldn't before.

F.ex. amp sim EQ's "mimicing" real amp EQ behavior, match EQ (tone matching), GEQ for Mesa Mark series amps... and those are only a few of the things that I've whined about and are now a part of the Axe-Fx and taken for granted for sure. No other modeler has many of these functions that this forum and the "bad side of it" has sparked. I've talked about this stuff with Matt and even Cliff shortly and my impression is that they'd rather get constructive ideas to enhance the Axe-Fx than have a sheep herd worshiping FAS.

Personal debates are another thing though. I think one of the biggest problems in here is that since many are hiding their identities people don't realize who they're talking to and who some people in here really are. I know I've said stupid, arrogant and childish things to some professional musicians and maybe even grammy award winners on this forum that I thought were just some kids that didn't know what was up. It's taken me years to find an approach where I try to respect everyone here no matter how professional they are. I suggest everyone to give it a shot. After all playing guitar and tweaking tones etc. is all supposed to be fun. Remember that it takes two to tango so if you're having an argument you're most likely to blame as well.

So I would vote against the ignore function.

I'm old enough now and from the early BBS to the modern web contents I'v e seen so many things...
So i can say that this is the best forum on the web because the people that are in ... AND because this forum is like an extension of the best piece of gear in the musical scene since the invention of the guitar.
Everyone can say stupid, arrogant and childish things sometime... but if one is in the music stuff enough to esteem the value of what the Axe Project is (i like call it like this 'couse it is an evolving project)... so that guy can't be a 100% bad person... and I want and I need that 30%...or 20%... or even 10% of good things that he can offer here!
So what?... Well... to me it's all a matter of... TOLERANCE (how we all need tolerance today!... we know well in this time what prejudice and intolerance can do!).
So I'm with Clark and I don't want any ignore function.

This forum reminds me of the conversations one would get into either at an instrument store or a record store back in the day. You will get some people dropping wisdom or asking zen master questions that make you reevaluate things you considered non-controversial up to that point. Other people will just try to bludgeon you with opinion masking it as scientific fact or say things just to take the piss on another person.

There are constructive things we learn about ourselves and other people in such situations. Using the ignore function on a forum kind of robs you of gaining such knowledge.

Everyone can say stupid, arrogant and childish things sometime

Once in a while, though, there is a person for whom "sometime" is pretty much "all the time" (IMO, of course). For those few people, I find the ignore function to be very useful. Keeps the noise level down for me when I'm doing my important FAS Forum reading. Nothing to do with thin skin, disagreements or anything personal.

Winds of change and all that. This is still the greatest forum on the internet. A very low ratio of trolls and even when there are trolls they're usually not attacking anyone personally. I've been here for years and I've seen the good and the bad. Actually I think I've been both the good and bad. I would like to think that many good things have come because of the bad also. Whining about the Axe-Fx not being able to do this and that has eventually made the Axe-Fx being capable of doing a thing or two it couldn't before.

F.ex. amp sim EQ's "mimicing" real amp EQ behavior, match EQ (tone matching), GEQ for Mesa Mark series amps... and those are only a few of the things that I've whined about and are now a part of the Axe-Fx and taken for granted for sure. No other modeler has many of these functions that this forum and the "bad side of it" has sparked. I've talked about this stuff with Matt and even Cliff shortly and my impression is that they'd rather get constructive ideas to enhance the Axe-Fx than have a sheep herd worshiping FAS.

Personal debates are another thing though. I think one of the biggest problems in here is that since many are hiding their identities people don't realize who they're talking to and who some people in here really are. I know I've said stupid, arrogant and childish things to some professional musicians and maybe even grammy award winners on this forum that I thought were just some kids that didn't know what was up. It's taken me years to find an approach where I try to respect everyone here no matter how professional they are. I suggest everyone to give it a shot. After all playing guitar and tweaking tones etc. is all supposed to be fun. Remember that it takes two to tango so if you're having an argument you're most likely to blame as well.

So I would vote against the ignore function.

You know , I'm reading this post , and I'm thinking , this fellow is the EXACT type of person that keeps me coming back. Level headed , intelligent , and experienced.

I seriously appreciate you taking time to post. I was with you ...... until the end.

A good debate involves opinions , experiences , and respect.
An argument will not include respect.
If I feel a member keeps quoting me repeatedly , and has nothing to offer other than a need to argue , I'd rather IGNORE them , gain more knowledge from the rest of thread , whilst enjoying the thread , and skip the "tango".
Because , "After all , playing guitar and tweaking tones etc. is all supposed to be fun."
I found the IGNORE option recently , after a member FOLLOWED me from another forum , and found the need to follow up my every post with a smart-arse comment and smiley face.
I try to respect everyone , but that's a tough one. For those of you with less tolerance than Gandhi , I recommend IGNORE.

This forum reminds me of the conversations one would get into either at an instrument store or a record store back in the day. You will get some people dropping wisdom or asking zen master questions that make you reevaluate things you considered non-controversial up to that point. Other people will just try to bludgeon you with opinion masking it as scientific fact or say things just to take the piss on another person.

There are constructive things we learn about ourselves and other people in such situations. Using the ignore function on a forum kind of robs you of gaining such knowledge.

I agree with you 100% , except your last sentence. I think it has it's use.

On a quick note , some of you guys mentioned "missing out" , by using IGNORE.
30,000 + members , my ignore list = 2.
This is a great forum.

Back
Top Bottom