Ignore pedal/CC state on preset recall

Want option of ignoring pedal/CC state on preset load?

• Total voters
It looks like the Axe now stores preset-specific values for modifier-associated parameters. I haven't been checking each firmware to know when this changed, but you can see the value and change it w/ the wheel (the on-screen knob and true current value/sound will still reflect the modifier), save the preset and see the new saved value when you return. If you disable the modifier that value is used. It's not the pedal/cc ignore option itself though... still hopeful that can be added.

Here's my problem with the way things work now...I use 2 continuous controller pedals, say 1 for wah, 1 for delay mix/volume boost (for solos). If I switch to a preset where I use one of those controllers for strictly volume (and maybe the other for a long delay) I have to remember to move the pedal (maybe a wah, maybe some other mix parameter) all way up before I switch presets. Otherwise I switch to a preset with zero volume...and that's not good.

Previous effects have allowed me to set a default value for a parameter on preset change and have ignored pedal position until the pedal is moved. So in my previous example if I switch to a patch that I want to control volume only I can set an initial value for the volume that's not zero. This allows seem less preset changes without having to think about CC's until I need them.

Seriously...am I missing something here? How do other people configure CC pedals for live (not a problem sitting around the house) use? Because right now I can't use the AxeFx live the way I have it configured.

I owned a G Major and that was a very useful feature. If there is an easy way to implement a simple ON or OFF of this feature I think it is a winner.

I completely agree with this idea. I use a Behringer knob controller with knobs for drive and amp gain levels. As it stands now, every time I change a preset in the Axe, I have to reset the all the gain controls because the Axe immediately picks up the levels from the Behringer unit. This is silly and entirely unlike how most of the world works with midi controllers. Most software will not change values even if they're assigned to a particularly control until the controller knob or fader is moved and reaches the EXISTING value (i.e. what's in the Axe preset) at which point the controller becomes active for that particularly parameter.

That way, you get the advantage of the Axe presets combined with the flexibility of external control. In order to have this flexibility as is, I have to do 2 sets of programming. Every Axe preset has to have a corresponding controller preset. That's just more work that wouldn't be necessary if the Axe used had a setting to respond to external controller like many other pieces of software.

People suggesting that this is somehow an esoteric feature haven't used controllers and/or music software enough, because this is pretty standard issue fare. The Axe is already checking the CC values as it updates itself immediately. All it needs to do is not respond to them until they hit the value stored in the Axe. The value is being checked continuously anyway. Why is it that hard to compare it to a value that's already stored in the Axe?

A strong vote for this feature.

Mike Bruns

MikeyB59 said:
Most software will not change values even if they're assigned to a particularly control until the controller knob or fader is moved and reaches the EXISTING value (i.e. what's in the Axe preset) at which point the controller becomes active for that particularly parameter.

While I'd choose that over the current mode, here's one potential limitation of having to reach the saved value before it changes: For a pedal to function, you wouldn't be able to have the saved value be outside of the range assigned to the pedal. (I did that at times on the G-Major, usually with delay parameters. A preset would load with my usual lead delay settings, and moving the pedal would turn it into a delay specifically for sustaining notes/chords, pedal varying feedback, delay level jumping to and remaining at a higher level throughout its range.) It would also make a quick sweep in the opposite direction somewhat necessary if you're not sure whether the pedal is currently above or below the required position and you really just want to move it to or near min/max.

Maybe Cliff can give us the option whether the Axe reads the pedal or uses the default parameter on preset recall by putting a menu item in the controller assignment page (like "read pedal" or "use default")?

I've added this to the next firmware release. Instead of global or per-preset, though, it's programmable at the modifier. You tell the modifier whether to reset the parameter on preset recall or whether to start updating immediately. If reset on recall nothing happens until you move the expression pedal.

Wow! I have been an Axe-FX owner for less than three weeks and not only am I blown away by the quality of the unit... but also with the attention that its creator has. You are awesome Cliff!

FractalAudio said:
I've added this to the next firmware release. Instead of global or per-preset, though, it's programmable at the modifier. You tell the modifier whether to reset the parameter on preset recall or whether to start updating immediately. If reset on recall nothing happens until you move the expression pedal.

Awesome! Thanks so much!

FractalAudio said:

That sounds like an excellent addition, thank you Cliff.

Sorry to the people who voted no :lol:

merlin17 said:
Any hints when the firmware will be released?
Anxiously awaiting that feature...
If you want the "newest" firmware that is not publicly available you can always buy another Axe-fx (preferably an Ultra :D), the one's that ship out always seem to be at least one firmware ahead of everyone else! ;)

FractalAudio said:

clever.

Back
Top Bottom