iFace for Redwirez is now available

Does someone know about the updated Marshall IR archive?
I've noticed there were some old ones that are not among the new ones, maybe even some different seperate files in folders, as well as a lot of overlap.

So what is iFace tuned to?
Were we supposed to merge all content, or is it set for the new bigger archive only?

In response to a discussion a few pages back, why in the world would anyone want to use a utility to convert the redwirez cabs the wav to a sysex when the Redwirez bundle already clearly comes with sysex versions of the IRs?

And for custom mixes, if anyone wanted to mix cabs then they could route one amp to more cab blocks, can they not?

It might have been about incorporating that tech into iFace so it could make readymade IR mixes to wav or syx.

And for custom mixes, if anyone wanted to mix cabs then they could route one amp to more cab blocks, can they not?

Yep, but the problem is that 2 cabs = 2 user cab slots, and we're limited to 10 user cab slots. Scott's typical mix recipe involves 4 or 5 Redwirez IR per patch. You see where the problem lies?

does anyone know 1) if this is also stand-alone and 2) why this does not have a very important industry standard RTAS fomat available for it?

Last edited:
does anyone know 1) if this is also stand-alone and 2) why this does not have a very important industry standard RTAS fomat available for it?

It's VST only so no standalone.

RTAS sucks....:razz I'm just kidding. I do hate AVID so by association PT is always going to be a target for me.

If you are looking for a standalone type application though I would recommend savihost. You can take any VST or VSTi and make it a standalone app very easily.

RTAS sucks....:razz I'm just kidding. I do hate AVID so by association PT is always going to be a target for me.

Uhh, hat'em all you want, but they only teach Pro Tools and Avid in any reputable technical institution for music/post (Logic too for midi stuff)... as well as video editing (final cut pro too but avid is for the hardcore stuff).... but Avid is the main recognized industry standard at the audio engineering society as well.

If you are looking for a standalone type application though I would recommend savihost. You can take any VST or VSTi and make it a standalone app very easily.

It does not respond when using Lecab 2. And my machine is clean. Or is it working for you?

I also tried Tobybear's Minihost and when i load my input and output as my soundcard proper ins and outs... and then load lecab - it makes machine gun sounds... this vst platform is ajoke... i have never ever experienced anything remotely close to this with anything Avid or Digidesign related.

Last edited:
Uhh, hat'em all you want, but they only teach Pro Tools and Avid in any reputable technical institution for music/post (Logic too for midi stuff)... as well as video editing (final cut pro too but avid is for the hardcore stuff).... but Avid is the main recognized industry standard at the audio engineering society as well.

It does not respond when using Lecab 2. And my machine is clean. Or is it working for you?

I also tried Tobybear's Minihost and when i load my input and output as my soundcard proper ins and outs... and then load lecab - it makes machine gun sounds... this vst platform is ajoke... i have never ever experienced anything remotely close to this with anything Avid or Digidesign related.
I've been working on AVID systems since 1992 and I hate them. They don't play nice with anything and you are basically forced into their proprietary nightmare of overpriced stuff.

Yes it does work for the most part (after years of questionable garbage), but in the last decade there really isn't any reason to stick with them with advances in CPU speeds and the move to digitial acquisition. The only reason they got their hands in the industry so far was because they used specialized hardware for capture and it really was the best quality out there. But the proprietary formats (and incompatibility between their own products, try editing on Media Composer and then send it to Airplay for broadcast...it didn't work) has soured me permanently. I hate their interfaces as well...what is up with that stupid hamburger and funky timeline?

Now I just went through training for the Interplay system and teamed up with iNews and Titan it's a decent system for a television station and that's basically what our organization has moved to, but the long format stuff is still being edited on Final Cut systems. I'm not a real big fan of that either, but I'm not an operator, I'm an engineer so my opinion doesn't amount to a whole lot there. :) I accept that at work, but at home, for my personal use, I'll never use anything that they have their hands in. I've lived through almost 20 years of their shenanigans of tying hardware to applications and forcing you to go strictly with their product line....for work that's fine because it isn't my money.

I could sit here and spend weeks telling you about AVID problems I've had to deal with over the years. The bottom line is that every system has it's own set of characteristics that make it "special" and nothing is full proof. Even systems that I would prefer over AVID have their issues and I won't pretend they don't. But I won't have to pay for 200 client seats in order to use a Unity server which is baiscally hardware that I already paid for.

And most of those will use non-proprietary codecs so that you can use other applications and systems. You wouldn't believe the headache we went through to try to configure a frameserver on a Media Composer a few months ago so that we could get it to spit out to a serving that would convert it to mpeg in order to load into an Omneon Media Grid. And AVID acted like the frameserver was some new revolutionary idea; I've been using them for at least 10 years now and I paid $20 for one that actually worked unlike the DOS based garbage that we paid through the nose for.

Being the biggest and industry standard doens't make it the best. It just makes it the most popular. If that was what mattered most in life than Line6 would obviously outperform the AxeFX.

And to answer your question about lecab, it's been quite a while since I messed with it, but it worked perfectly fine with savihost last time I fired it up. Make sure that you're using ASIO drivers is the first thing that comes to mind for me.

Yep, Avid suck large. Just because they have US institutions in their pocket doesn't make it standard IMO. I come across more

They don't play nice with anything and you are basically forced into their proprietary nightmare of overpriced stuff.
Huh? Last time I checked, nobody was sticking a gun to anyone's head to use anything. LOL.

Yes it does work for the most part (after years of questionable garbage),
I only agree that they had some years of questionable garbage in midi, but that was over come in the mid-late versions of PT.

but in the last decade there really isn't any reason to stick with them with advances in CPU speeds and the move to digitial acquisition.
Its the only software that allows to to perform every single function with the keyboard. This is why its called "Pro Tools".

But the proprietary formats...
And is VST not a proprietary format?

(and incompatibility between their own products, try editing on Media Composer and then send it to Airplay for broadcast...it didn't work) has soured me permanently.

You are the first person who i have heard this complaint from. Please do not try to convince me there is any other video editing software to the level of Avid. So are you saying you think all the institutions and major film editing houses should switch to Adobe Premiere? Anyways, I think we should stick to the confines of audio only here due to my missing RTAS complaint to certain plug-in companies - especially the iface one which is supposeddly a great tool for the now industry standard Redwirez impulses.

I hate their interfaces as well...what is up with that stupid hamburger and funky timeline?
Which hamburger? Which funky timeline? The universe window? Thats the coolest thing they invented to allow you to instantly go to any spot in the session.

I've lived through almost 20 years of their shenanigans of tying hardware to applications and forcing you to go strictly with their product line....

They are not forcing anyone to do anything. People have the choice to select other DAWs. The fact that their software doesn't work without their hardware is genius and they deserve the monopoly in the professional industry that they have achieved for making that aspect un-crackable and un-hackable. Likewise for the Pro Tools HD cards which are insane DSPs allowing tons of TDM plug-ins at a time to function flawlessly. No computer can do this. Thats why the price of their HD cards are more expensive than most PCs and Macs. Absolute brilliance.

I could sit here and spend weeks telling you about AVID problems I've had to deal with over the years. The bottom line is that every system has it's own set of characteristics that make it "special" and nothing is full proof. Even systems that I would prefer over AVID have their issues and I won't pretend they don't. But I won't have to pay for 200 client seats in order to use a Unity server which is baiscally hardware that I already paid for.

Of course every system has issues. But perdonally, ever since my entrance into the A/V industry 5 years ago, I have experienced the least amount of issues in my experience with avid/digidesign out of all other systems. They are rock solid and although like any software, glitches exist, but fatal errors are the least common in digi/avid. This is also another key important reason you are not recognizing has contributed to their success in actually selling that hardware-dependent software which you believe is coerced into making customers buy. That is not co-ercion - it is protection from cracking the software built deep into the foundation of the system - which no hack that i know of has ever taken the time to re-program and reverse-engineer because of the time it would require for no real reward. And yes, the potential for power and greed is ripe for being taken advantage of. I have no comment on that, but it does not take away from the other points.

And most of those will use non-proprietary codecs so that you can use other applications and systems. You wouldn't believe the headache we went through to try to configure a frameserver on a Media Composer a few months ago so that we could get it to spit out to a serving that would convert it to mpeg in order to load into an Omneon Media Grid. And AVID acted like the frameserver was some new revolutionary idea; I've been using them for at least 10 years now and I paid $20 for one that actually worked unlike the DOS based garbage that we paid through the nose for.

Perfection is a difficult proposition, but perhaps they have let people down in some regard after making all that money. You seem to know alot about the broadcast portion of their product which has led to much of your frustration with it as the ins and outs seem to have been a nightmare for you. I will still stick to the RTAS complaint and i believe my reasoning is still valid for such a complaint..

Being the biggest and industry standard doens't make it the best. It just makes it the most popular. If that was what mattered most in life than Line6 would obviously outperform the AxeFX.

This is not a fair comparision. If anything, Cubase is a more popular standard among the home user. But the level of depth of Pro Tools is evidenced in 11 textbooks in the Pro Tools Certification process. No other DAW course is that extensive. I took the first two levels. Session customization and recall based on tons of settings alone is an entire course in and of itself. In addition, it is a myth that other DAWs are still better for midi work. The difference is that in PT, midi stuff is more like driving a manual as opposed to driving an automatic with regards to logic for Midi. But again, the only software allowing everything to be done by quick keys and shortcuts.

And to answer your question about lecab, it's been quite a while since I messed with it, but it worked perfectly fine with savihost last time I fired it up. Make sure that you're using ASIO drivers is the first thing that comes to mind for me.

Thats fine i'll just use iface in tobybear minihost vst standalone as now I have no other choice because I have been forced to use VST. LOL.

Yep, Avid suck large.
Is that because the software is light years ahead of cubase or sonar? I dont see any of those programs containing or needing a series of 10 textbooks to fully master. Please kindly provide support to back-up your claim, because unfortunately I must point out kindly to you that it is an unsupported claim.

Just because they have US institutions in their pocket doesn't make it standard IMO. I come across more

I disagree, in the North America which includes Canada, all reputable institutions select Avid/Digidesign for Pro Tools because it is light years ahead of the other DAWs. Anyone to suggest cubase or sonar cakewalk to be taught at any institution would be laughed out of the academic and technical setting. My professors - who also work in the industry at TV stations and the other for Major Post firms - who are also members of the Audio Engineerig Society - all confirm that Pro Tools is light years ahead of the other DAWs. I choose to believe their expertise and have experienced such things first hand. You would need to provide solid evidence to refute this reasoning.

These are also for the same reasons the Axe-FX is still light years better than Line 6 Pod - even still considering the fact that the Axe FX does not have 88.2 or 96k digital out compatibility like Line 6 stuff does. And also considering the fact that the Axe FX does not have optical outs, i still grant it is the new industry standard.

Last edited:
Yep, Avid suck large. Just because they have US institutions in their pocket doesn't make it standard IMO. I come across more

I didn't realise my post went up the swanny. What I meant to say was that a lot of studios I see in the UK use Cubase/Nuendo these days as ProTools lost most of its advantages a long time ago. As to needing 11 volumes of training, well that doesn't mean it is great now does it - unintuitive maybe.

VST is perfectly fine as a plugin technology, but you have issues with it so it must be rubbish then. Anyway this is a completely pointless discussion within this thread.

Back on topic, post on their forum and request an RTAS version...I am sure you'll annoy as many over there as you seem to do on this forum!;) Meanwhile I hope you enjoy using iFace, it is a very cool plugin.

I'm not interested in trying to reply to every one of your comments, not because they weren't well thought out, but because there was a major disconnect between what I said and what you read and that's probably on my part. I typed that thing late last night.

All the AVID issues I was talking about were centered on the video side so the DAW argument and ProTools stuff in your responses didn't apply to my compatability complaints.

As for the keyboard mapping, most editors have programmable hot keys; I personally like StudioOne and even Adobe Audition if you really want to know. Both have programmable hot keys for just about every function out there. Cubase is not a favorite of mine, but I'd take it over PT based soley on my personal bias against AVID.

And yeah, I would expect nothing less coming from someone who likes their products because the truth is that they do have a strong following. I'm just not one of them and I never will be so the arguments and/or praises for them is falling on deaf ears. Their upgrade paths and product updates usually incur some kind of fee and just take a look at 11R. If you want to use the editor it has to be done from within ProTools. There's absolutely no reason that they can't make a standalone editor. 11R is their little gateway drug into pushing ProTools.

And VST is not a proprietary format, it's a universal plug in that works in nearly every single editing application on the planet. RTAS on the other hand only works within PT. That's the defiintion of proprietary and I was speaking mainly about their video formats anyway. :)

Anybody having issues setting the redwirez path in iface? It just does not recognize the path for me even if I select the right path. it reads cab NA no matter what, and continues blinking to set the redwirez path.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom