If you're considering the Yamaha DXR10...

RKF

Inspired
...good for you!

IMG_2309.jpg

It just sounds exceptional with the AX8. No complaints. As is often mentioned about the DXR10, there is a slight mid bump but I've found selecting the 'monitor' voicing on the back smooths that out a bit by dropping the lows a bit and boosting the high end to account for the extra low end produced by it sitting on the floor. I always run a high pass @80Hz and low pass @10000kHz but honestly, even without it, this speaker never gets fatiguing.

Very lightweight, solid build and CRAZY loud. I've read every FRFR thread, review and criticism out there and landed on the DXR10 after much back and forth. I almost pulled the trigger on Xitone's new partial open back design but just couldn't justify the extra $330. Plus you get three separate inputs if you want to jam along with a separate audio source, run a mic into it etc...

Really, it doesn't seem that you can go wrong with this one. I'm very impressed and happy with mine.

Just thought I'd share if you're also trying to wade thru the endless ocean of FRFR options.

Ryan

I have 2 DXR12's but wish I had DXR10's because they're smaller and lighter. I got my DXR12's on sale from Guitar Center with 2 speaker stands for cheaper than I could buy 2 DXR10's.

I definitely like the Yamaha DXR's better than the QSC K's. They both sound similar when playing guitar or bass through them but when you play music through them the QSC K's had a lot of ear fatiguing high end.

I really like how the DXR's sound is spread out and isn't directional like traditional guitar cabs.

I keep the HPF set to 100Hz and the D-Contour set to Off.

I have one. Seems to feed back in a screechy way as opposed to that note you want to just ring and begin to hit the overtones...any tips on how to get it to respond better? I used to use an AXE 8 now I have AXE FX III

I've got 4 DXR10s in my PA inventory. Great speakers! I have found that for the AxeFX (and now for vocals, too) I actually am preferring the coaxial orientation and sound of the PXM-12MP from EV. Plus they have presets you can store.

I also know a guy with a DXR8 that he uses for his keys monitor. For a little sucker, that's got a lot of oomph.

I have one. Seems to feed back in a screechy way as opposed to that note you want to just ring and begin to hit the overtones...any tips on how to get it to respond better? I used to use an AXE 8 now I have AXE FX III
Yes, there's a fix but I don't have an Axe-Fx III anymore, so I can't give you step by step instructions but it's an easy fix and is the same for the Axe-Fx II. Go into the Global EQ and lower the highest frequency all the way down. I think it's 16K? If you still get the screechy feedback, try lowering the 2nd highest frequency too which I think is 8K. Lowering the 2 highest frequencies, shouldn't affect your tone because it's just high end sizzle that gets lost in a mix.

I have 2 DXR12's but wish I had DXR10's because they're smaller and lighter. I got my DXR12's on sale from Guitar Center with 2 speaker stands for cheaper than I could buy 2 DXR10's.

I definitely like the Yamaha DXR's better than the QSC K's. They both sound similar when playing guitar or bass through them but when you play music through them the QSC K's had a lot of ear fatiguing high end.

I really like how the DXR's sound is spread out and isn't directional like traditional guitar cabs.

I keep the HPF set to 100Hz and the D-Contour set to Off.

I now have a pair of DXR10's too. They have a little less bass than my DXR12's but you don't notice when playing in a band.

I know some people that use the Harbinger VARI V2310, V2312 and V2315 powered speakers that also include Bluetooth and they sound pretty good for being less than half the price of the DXR's. I recommend them for anyone on a budget.

Yes, there's a fix but I don't have an Axe-Fx III anymore, so I can't give you step by step instructions but it's an easy fix and is the same for the Axe-Fx II. Go into the Global EQ and lower the highest frequency all the way down. I think it's 16K? If you still get the screechy feedback, try lowering the 2nd highest frequency too which I think is 8K. Lowering the 2 highest frequencies, shouldn't affect your tone because it's just high end sizzle that gets lost in a mix.
Thanks for the feed back. I'll try that.

I’ve never experienced high frequency feedback problems with my DXR10s. They’re nice speakers. I used to gig with them regularly. Last week I played with a drummer at decent volume and had no feedback problems at all.

I also own pair of CLR Neos. The DXR10s are a little brighter, but not annoyingly so. One advantage the DXR10s have are all useful input and routing options.

I’ve never experienced high frequency feedback problems with my DXR10s. They’re nice speakers. I used to gig with them regularly. Last week I played with a drummer at decent volume and had no feedback problems at all.

I also own pair of CLR Neos. The DXR10s are a little brighter, but not annoyingly so. One advantage the DXR10s have are all useful input and routing options.
It's not an issue specific to the DXR speakers. It's caused by using FRFR speakers because they can get feedback at much higher frequencies because they don't cut off around 5k like guitar speakers. I never had the issue until I tried to get controlled feed and kept having issues with it getting out of control and feedbacking at much higher frequencies than when I used regular guitar cabs. Once I lowered the high frequencies in the global EQ, I never had an issue again.

Rock, blues, shred. Think G&R, VH, SRV, Satch, Dream Theater etc...

No chugga chugga, no jazz. Although I have no reason to believe it wouldn't excel at those styles as well.
Thanks for posting this. I have seen a few others mention the dxr. I seem to be finding most of these pa type speakers sound quite familiar. I may consider one of these. The midd is where a guitar stands out. U mentioned the mids were to much? To thrashy sounding? 80s rock and metal is fairly mid heavy..

Mine are the older models and they are great imho........................Had them for a while now.
I've seen quite a few users on here mention using and liking them. It's class D power , so it been voiced slightly different than another brand would be the only variant? Which can be eq'd one way or the other just like any of the mains type powered speakers. They all share a similar build/ plastic at this level. So I would like to know how they differ, besides being multi functional and sounding superior in any powered speaker application. Maybe there is something magical about these. Thanks in advance

Mine are the older models too. I didn't know there was a newer model but just tried to find out what the differences are. The specs seem almost the same and not worth calling a new model. The only differences I could find are they are 1lb lighter and have a HF Diaphragm: 1.75", Type: 1" throat compression driver, Magnet: Neodymium instead of a HF Diaphragm: 1.4", Type: 1" throat compression driver, Magnet: Ferrite.

I've seen quite a few users on here mention using and liking them. It's class D power , so it been voiced slightly different than another brand would be the only variant? Which can be eq'd one way or the other just like any of the mains type powered speakers. They all share a similar build/ plastic at this level. So I would like to know how they differ, besides being multi functional and sounding superior in any powered speaker application. Maybe there is something magical about these. Thanks in advance
Not saying they are "special". Just that they sound good and a great bang for the buck. I love mine-

Not saying they are "special". Just that they sound good and a great bang for the buck. I love mine-
Thanks for the reply, maybe they are better suited than the qsc I tried, it's tough to gage when they are highly similar, Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom